Author Topic: Arrival in Queensland Help  (Read 4142 times)

Offline Jaki

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Arrival in Queensland Help
« on: Monday 15 November 04 03:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Have been looking for the arrival of my great grandfather in Australia for a while now and have exhausted everything i could find on the net for NSW and QLD. Was able to access a QLD BDM disc and found a birth and a couple of deaths that i could link to his family in England, which made me think that he might have arrived in Australia through QLD then moved to NSW

If someone is able to access QLD shipping records could they please look for Charles Henry Kingwell. It is believed he arrived in Australia around 1872, from information on his death certificate, and could possibly have been travelling with a couple of cousins, also surnamed Kingwell. He would have been about 28 at the time.

Thanks

Jaki
<i>OK Charles Henry Kingwell when did you arrive in Australia????</i><br /><b>Coates</b> - Warwickshire, Staffordshire??<br /><b>Hall</b> - Warwickshire, Yorkshire<br /><b>Hirst</b> - Yorkshire<br /><b>Kingwell, Bulley, Bunce</b> - Devon<br /><b>Sample</b> - Northumberland, Durham<br /><b>Shipp</b> - Gloucester<br /><b>MacGillivray, Grant, Forbes, McBean</b> - Scotland

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Arrival in Queensland Help
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 November 04 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jaki

I have a theory that I will make it to the Qld archives soon but the world seems to be conspiring against this goal at the minute. When I do get there I shall check your name (noting that my record on finding the right shipping records is not very good). I know it won't be this week, but I'm working on next week - Its over a 1 hour drive each way - so I like to have most of the day available else it doesn't seem worthwhile.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jaki

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 November 04 04:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish

Sounds just like me!!! Have my plans to go places and get things done and nothing happens ... the world is conspiring against me too .... lol

If when you get there you could like for my elusive ggrandfather that would be great. All of  sudden he is in Australia and can't find out how he got here .... lol

Thanks

Jaki
<i>OK Charles Henry Kingwell when did you arrive in Australia????</i><br /><b>Coates</b> - Warwickshire, Staffordshire??<br /><b>Hall</b> - Warwickshire, Yorkshire<br /><b>Hirst</b> - Yorkshire<br /><b>Kingwell, Bulley, Bunce</b> - Devon<br /><b>Sample</b> - Northumberland, Durham<br /><b>Shipp</b> - Gloucester<br /><b>MacGillivray, Grant, Forbes, McBean</b> - Scotland

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 November 04 08:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jaki

I actually made it to the archives today - as usual more nofinds than finds!
I had no joy in the immigrant file looking for Kingwell (always remember this could be the searcher not the records). I found one reference (with  minimal information) for what looked to be L. Kingswell and wife arriving in 1865.

Trish

Offline Jaki

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 November 04 08:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish

Thanks for having a look. It was a long shot, think i will just have to accept at the moment that i can't find how he arrived in Australia. Am 90% sure he was in NSW in 1872 as have found a marriage entry that matches the particulars on his death certificate for his first wife. Can't find his arrival through Victoria or NSW online and it looks like QLD is not it either.

One day I will find this man's arrival .... or go crazy trying .... lol.

Jaki

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 November 04 10:30 GMT (UK) »
I think the majority of unassisted immigrants to NSW are not online - so that may be an area to focus on. I have found no shipping records for my NSW arrivals - most information I have comes from family diaries and/or land records. The State records NSW may be your best option. If you live in NSW I believe there are access points for alot of information in many towns. Check out ARC and Community Access at
http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/

Trish