Author Topic: Rose Ida DICK 1901  (Read 8423 times)

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rose Ida DICK 1901
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 13 December 12 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Dear Everyone- this is indeed a very complex family situation for everyone involved and I have done considerable research since my initial posting in 2006. Rose Georgina Henning was born to Sarah and Ira in 1874- her father Ira died in 1877 and her mother Sarah remarried John Fall in 1879. They lived their lives in Pokesdown. Rose is on 1891 as stapdaughter to John Fall with her brother Herbert and step siblings Jessica, Olive and Willie. In 1894 Rose Ida Henning married John Dick on the Isle of Wight- I have the marriage cert and can confirm this is the same person as Rose Gergina Henning as the witnesses are family members- quite why she changed her midle name from Georgina to Ida I do not know unless it was an attempt to acknowledge her late father Ira. Rose's address at the marriage was the same as that of her married sister Kate varney (nee Henning) at Inglestone Terrace West Cowes. John Dick was aged 27 a Corporal in the Royal Artillery-North Camp Farnborough.. Daughter Euphemia Olive Dick was born at Fernhall Hospital Aldershot on 24th May 1895. Daughter Rose Dick was born in 1896 at Hartley Wintney and daughter Elizabeth was born in 1897 at Fareham. John Dick died in 1899 aged 31 -on Scottish Register Service and War Returns (Boer War?) and Rose married John's brother Robert on 31st July 1899 in Glasgow. On 27th June 1900 Rose and Robert had son Robert Dick at Grey Street Larkhall Lanarkshire and the family are still in Lanarkshire in 1901 at 64 Paislow street with Roses's 3 children from first marriage and son Robert aged 9 months. They clearly moved back to Pokesdown after the 1901 Census to be near to Rose's mother and stepfather and in 1902 son John Leslie Dick was born - and also died - in Sept Q 1902 in Christchurch. daughter Olive May was born to them Sept Q 1903 Christchurch Reg and son John Harry Norman Dick in Dec Q Christchurch Reg. Rose Ida Dick died on 3rd jan 1907 at Hayford, Wickham Road, Pokesdown (Cancer of Uterus) aged 32.
Rose's widowed husband Robert then remarried to Ellen Edwards (prev married to Francis James Ford in Sep 1896 Bristol). If you look at the 1911 Census you will see Robert Dick and his wife Lily (Ellen) at 18 Wickham Road Pokesdown with children Euphemia (15) Ida (13) Robert (10) Olive (7), Normie (5) together with step children William Ford (9) and Beatrice (6).
I do not know what info you have regarding Norman being in an orphanage so I would be interested to hear what details you have - certainly Rose's family were very tight knit and supportive when her mother married into the Fall family- there were a lot of them in the Pokesdown locality and remained in the Hampshire/Dorset conurbation through to the mid 1960s and beyond.
Hope all this helps and look forward to hearing back on the 'orphanage' question.
All I would say is that John Fall and Sarah had already taken in one 'grandchild' to raise as their own so they may have felt that having already brought up a large family of children and stepchildren that they may not have been able to cope with much more.
Looking forward to hearing back from you all! Hope this helps- please contact me if you need more info- I have more files but will not post anymore unless you ask!
Caroline :)
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)
Wood/Gibbs/Battrick/Fall/Budden-(Dorset)

Offline Llppkk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 13 December 12 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Dear Caroline

Thank you very much for all your information, it is very helpful.  We are going to try and find out some more information about Norman from his daughter.  I will let you know if we find out anymore information.

Once again thank you for your help.

Kind Regards

Jacqueline Tamplin

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 13 December 12 21:12 GMT (UK) »
You are very welcome! As I said, it is quite a complex family with  a lot of issues! I would also welcome the info that you have regarding the death of Robert Dick in 1915 as I do not have that- I guess that Norman would have been about 10 when his father died - left with his stepmother- this story is becoming very sad :(
Another twist - but maybe not related- is that Norman's half sister Euphemia Olive Dick married James H Edwards on 7th April 1923 in Portsmouth and the witness was her sister Elizabeth(born 1897)- you will see from my notes that Robert Dick married Ellen Edwards (formerly married to Francis Ford in Bristol) after the death of Rose Ida Dick (Henning) - is it possible (or just coincidence) James H Edwards was part of Ellen Edwards family? Both Bristol and Portsmouth have navy bases and the Dick family were clearly in the Army- so there is also a military link- maybe worth looking at - at a later date!
You may just have opened a can of worms!!!! Pleased to help- do keep in touch!
Caroline :)
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 13 December 12 22:44 GMT (UK) »
I am still following this thread. :)
Birth reg of Ellen Kate Edwards

Births Sep 1880   
Ellen Kate Edwards Wells (Somerset) 5c/527

The only marriage I could find for a Francis James Ford to an  Edwards Sept 1/4 1896 was in Barton Regis Gloucestershire to Ellen Elizabeth Edwards. Is this the correct one? Do you have them on the 1901 census?

Strictly speaking Lily/Ellen should have married under her former married name of Ford when marrying Robert.

There are two children's births registered with the surname Dick, mother's maiden name Edwards in ChCh. Dec 1/4 1911 and Sept 1/4 1918.   If the death of Robert Dick in 1915 is the husband of Lily/Ellen then he can't be the father of the child born 1918.  It would be stretching things a bit if there was another male Dick married to an Edwards in the ChCh area?

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 16 December 12 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi - have just read your most recent posting- i have the same marriage as you have found ie 1896 Ellen Elizabeth Edawrds to Francis james Ford Sep Q Barton Regis 6a 295. However, I have not had the chance to investigate this line and so I have not looked for them in 1901 nor have I looked for the death of Francis James Ford. i would also be interested to know the age of the Robert Dick that is quoted in 1915 as I have minimal information. When his stepdaughter euphemia Olive dick married in 1923 - I have the cert and it shows her father as John Dick (deceased) Paymaster- he died in 1899 per my records.
I also have not investigated any further children born to Robert and Ellen after 1911 so will check those out on BMD.
It is a branch of my husband's tree which is extremely complicated!
I also have the  marriage cert for John Dick and Rose Ida Hennings on 24th Nov 1894 at St James Chapel Newport on the Isle of Wight (Euphemia's parents)- the witnesses were Henry Samuel Varney and Faney (?) Varney- Henry samuel Varney was the brother of William George Varney who married Kate Hennings in 1891 on the Isle of wight (Rose Ida's sister) - at the moment I cannot find a birth for Faney Varney or a marraige of Henry Samuel Varney to Faney - any ideas????
Said it was complex!

Caroline

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 16 December 12 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Faney could be Fanny but she needn't necessarily be Henry's wife, she could be a sister or cousin etc.
Also her registered birth name may be Frances?
There are two births of a Henry Samuel Varney anytime anywhere in FreeBMD. Both on the IOW 1862 and 1874. However the Henry born 1862 appears to die in 1862 which would explain why I can only find one of them on the 1881 census.

Births Dec 1862   
Henry Samuel Varney I Wight    vol 2b page 481   
1874 Henry Samuel varney  I. Wight 2b/532

1881 RG11/117/89/12
Cowes IOW
William G. Varney    40 mariner
Martha Varney 35
William G. Varney    13
John S. Varney 11
Martha Varney 8
Henry Varney 5
Mary J. Varney 2
All born Cowes

Still at home with his Mum in 1901
RG13/1017/119/1
Ingelstone Terrace Granville Road Cowes
Martha Varney 56 Head married
Henry S Varney 25 house painter
Mary Varney 12
Rose Varney 10
Susan Varney 19
Albert E Caws 2 months grandson

On same page is son William G Varney 33, occupation whitesmith born IOW. His wife Kate 33 born Pokesdown and their children Bertram 9 and Martha 3.born Cowes

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 16 December 12 21:16 GMT (UK) »
He marries.

Marriages Mar 1/4 1910   

Ethel Mary   H[A_]RRINGTON     
 Henry Samuel Varney        
I. Wight 2b/1065

Their daughter
Births Jun 1/4 1910   
Minnie Margaret Varney  I. Wight 2b/575

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 16 December 12 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Robert Dick
Born Dalserf Lanarkshire
Died 25 Sep 1915
Location France & Flanders
Enlisted at Bournemouth Hants
Rank - Private
Regiment - Highland Light Infantry
Battalion - 12th (Service) Battalion
Number - 1604
Type of casualty - Killed in action
Theatre of War - Western European Theatre

Shouldn't his death be on the GRO records? There is only this one anywhere near the correct age but still has a birth date c1877 not 1870 and it is registered in the previous year to the record above.
Deaths Dec 1/4 1914   
Robert Dick age 37 Alverstoke    2b/700

There is this service death which is a better match for the GRO registered death date of 1914

Robert Dick
Rank -Act Ch ERA 2nd
Born 13 Oct 1876 at Burnfoot Hill, Ayr, Scotland
Branch of Service -Royal Navy
Cause of Death - Died from disease
Official Number Port Division:    270666. (Po)
Died 9 Oct 1914
Ship or Unit - HMS Victory
Location of Grave - 21 15
Cemetery - Royal Naval Cemetery, Haslar, Gosport, Hampshire
Relatives Notified - Widow -Margaret, 48 Gains Road, Southsea, Hants

This Robert Dick also left a will with Margaret named as beneficiary.

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 16 December 12 22:02 GMT (UK) »
This looks like a contender for Ellen Kate/Lily's death
Deaths Sept 1/4 1939   
Ellen K Dick    age 59 Bournemouth 2b/1163