Author Topic: Alice Mee and William Wright  (Read 1732 times)

coffeecup

Alice Mee and William Wright
« on: Thursday 23 November 06 00:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi I'm looking for infomation to help me find out more about the origins of the Mee family of Pocket Nook Parr St Helens.

I have recently received the 1842 death certificate of Alice Mee at Pocket Nook aged 32 and it says her occupation is 'daughter of Ann Mee'.

Alice had four children. Samuel b1830 at Lowton, and Ann b1832 St Helens, Jane b1836 St Helens, and Maria b1839.

Samuel Mee married Alice Cunliffe at Newton-in-Makerfield in 1852 and the name of his father on the marriage certificate was a big surprize. It says William Wright occupation Joiner.

It seemed Alice was a singlewoman and never married. There may be some connection to a William Wright in Warrington, who was named on a Lowton parish maintenance order in 1829 for upkeep of Martha Jackson, he married the girls mother Mary Ann Jackson. It seems likely that he's also Samuel's father, so if he's in your tree, there may be a little more to add?

Ann Mee must be on the 1841 census, but it's hard to pin point without having the name of Alice's father. I just don't know where this Mee family originally came from, or where Alice was born in 1810.

A clue perhaps is that Samuel Mee's son John called his son Speakman Mee, which is unusual, and I have come across this name in Mee families in the Lowton area in late 1700's, but it's guesswork. It seems in 1841 they were the only Mee family in St Helens and Samuel was born at Lowton.

Can anybody offer any suggestions or have managed to find out about the Mee's pre 1837 index and censuses. I've run out of resources.

Thanks very much.

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alice Mee and William Wright
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 November 06 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Coffeecup
is the last line your actual request?
Can anybody offer any suggestions

Yes ;D Have you looked on the I.G.I.In Familysearch there are hundreds of Mee's in Lancashire (if you turn all the pages)a lot in warrington dating back to the sixteen hundreds. Happy hunting
Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

coffeecup

« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 November 06 01:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Celia,

I didn't know they went back that far?

Further to your suggestion I found a Christening on there for Alice Mee 1809 at Winwick, mother Ann Mee but no father, member submitted, no source available, which is a pity, it sounds right.

There are 2 Speakman Mee's, one born 1775 and one 1804 at Lowton, but I can't connect them to this later Speakman Mee b1888, I hope this is a family name though because the first of them is a Chelsea Pensioner on the 1851 census so that puts him in the war with Napolean. He sounds really interesting. Hey ho.

Maybe there are other Mee's for Winwick, so I'll give family search some closer attention.

Many thanks for your reply, and your advice Celia.

Offline waitehoskerlewis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 May 09 01:16 BST (UK) »
Hi, on my tree there is an Alice Cunliffe b. 1848, Fustian cutter, her brother was Joseph, master draper and their father was William Cunliffe, Brickmaker.

Alice Cunliffe married Alfred Mortimore and had a daughter Leah Mortimore.  They lived at 28 Manchester Rd, Lancs on 8 July 1874 when Leah was born, any connection?
AYRES, LEWIS, HOSKER, HASTRY, BRACEGIRDLE, MORTIMORE, WAITE, CUNLIFFE, BOWMAN

Area's: Spilsby, Lincs (for WAITE and BOWMAN) and Warrington, Cheshire for AYRES, LEWIS, HOSKER, HASTRY, BRACEGIRDLE, MORTIMORE.  Manchester for CUNLIFFE.  LEWIS and HOSKER were in and around the Bold and Frodsham area