Author Topic: Kirkcudbright/Wigtown marriage lookup  (Read 26482 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Kirkcudbright/Wigtown marriage lookup
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 25 November 06 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Peter Lamont was certainly brother to William. He died in 1885 in Kirkmaiden. Parents William Lamont, Lead Miner and mother Janet Pollock, both deceased.
Wife Grace McClive still alive until 1887.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 25 November 06 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Going back to Letitia Blain.

I found the Minnigaff kirk Session Minutes reference at NAS:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0xu/

Anyone going to Edinburgh  ???

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 25 November 06 21:48 GMT (UK) »
I'm amazed by you two - you've been really hard at work, and once again I can't thank you enough! (Do you mind if I ask where you are getting all this information from)?

I read your posts on page two over a few times, trying to get my head around your findings - then I discoved you're onto page three! I'd just got as far as understanding the posts up to the 1841 census with Peter, Eliza, (I also thought these two may be siblings) and kids. The 2 year old Peter MAY be the line I am chasing. He is the son of William Lamont and Margaret Blain born/christened 1838.  Perhaps Peter (age 20-24) may be brother to William and uncle to young Peter?

I think I'd better go away and digest all this ... I'm getting all excited and confused and I need to sit alone in a quiet room to get this straight in my brain. I'll be back later .... a million thanks Monica and Gadget.

Offline neffhur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 21 January 11 06:13 GMT (UK) »
Peter Lamont was certainly brother to William. He died in 1885 in Kirkmaiden. Parents William Lamont, Lead Miner and mother Janet Pollock, both deceased.

Monica

Hello from USA--
I saw your posts about the Lamont family....thought you may want to know that Peter Lamont and his wife Grace McClive, from Kirkmaiden, one of their son's David, born about 1841, immigrated to the US about 1868. He came to Pittsburgh, PA and married a Jane Granger. Their children, as far as I know, were: Grace, Lydia, Jessie and John(died young).
His daughter Lydia married my grandfather and died in childbirth of her first child.
David Lamont and family lived in the Sharpsburg/Etna area of Pittsburgh, Allegheny Co. PA
David died in 1927.
I have learned from you guys who Peter's parents were. I hope to include a scan of the Obituary for David Lamont.
Sincerely,
neffhur

Offline neffhur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 21 January 11 06:15 GMT (UK) »

Monica

Hello from USA--
I saw your posts about the Lamont family....thought you may want to know that Peter Lamont and his wife Grace McClive, from Kirkmaiden, one of their son's David, born about 1841, immigrated to the US about 1868. He came to Pittsburgh, PA and married a Jane Granger. Their children, as far as I know, were: Grace, Lydia, Jessie and John(died young).
His daughter Lydia married my grandfather and died in childbirth of her first child.
David Lamont and family lived in the Sharpsburg/Etna area of Pittsburgh, Allegheny Co. PA
David died in 1927.
I have learned from you guys who Peter's parents were. I hope to include a scan of the Obituary for David Lamont.
Sincerely,
neffhur

Also, meant to say the obit states he came to usa "55" years ago, but I think it is more like 35 yrs. His daughter mentioned, Mrs. William Woods, is Jessie.
I have my stuff posted on Ancestry if you subscribe to that. Good Luck!!

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 21 January 11 06:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello Neffhur and welcome to rootschat. Thank you for the extra information.

I haven't worked on this branch of the family for some time so I will have to go back over it all to refresh my memory. I have to sign off now, but will be back later ....  :)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 25 March 12 23:53 BST (UK) »
Hi again neffhur.

I've recently been going through my Lamont posts and doing a bit more research into this family.

Do you have Peter b 1803 and Grace in the Scottish censuses? Earlier in this post there was mention of Peter with an Eliza on the 1841 census. This is actually incorrect - in the original image his wife is clearly Grace. There must have been a transcription error.

Do you have a record of Peter's birth/baptism? I am unable to find one.

I have been unable to find a marriage for Peter's parents, William Lamont and Janet Pollock, nor can I find a death for Janet. Janet is 80 in 1851 and I have tried many combinations of names and places after 1851, but I can't find a death for her. Have you had any success with any of these bmd's?

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 02 April 12 03:42 BST (UK) »
Oh dear  :(

I might just have found a possible death for poor Margaret:

July 30 1874 821 - 259

Southern Counties Asylum, Dumfries

Margaret Blair Lamond, aged 60, married to ---- Lamont,
Right hemiplegia with apoplexia, 2 months; bedsores, 1 month; insanity. Informant - M Cunningham, attendant, present at death.

No parents' names given - obviously she had a stroke at some stage  :'(

Gadget  :( :( :(

An update to this old post ..... In case anyone also researching this family stumbles upon this in the future, I now have proof that this is the correct Margaret (Blain) Lamont. She is buried in Minnigaff with her husband William and other family members. I also have a copy of her medical certificate, petition to the sheriff, brief case notes etc. Contact me if you would like a copy. Her admission to the Asylum preceded her death, by over a year. This came as a surprise as I wrongly assumed she may have been put into the Asylum after a stroke.

Unfortunately I still do not know who her parents are.  :(