Author Topic: LEMON  (Read 50637 times)

Offline elizabeth3

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: LEMON
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 12 March 09 23:43 GMT (UK) »
My Gt. Grandfather John GORDON was the son of James GORDON b. 1795 cc and Jane HARBISON b. 1827 cc and was born at Templetate, Co. Monaghan.   The last five children of this family emigrated to California.

Jane HARBISON's parents were Matthew HARBISON and Margaret LEMMON who married on 21/03/1823 County Monaghan.   Matthew and Margaret HARBISON,  along with most of their children, emigrated to California also, some in 1872. 

Gt. Grandfather John LEMON was born 1840 cc (according to 1901 census records for Monaghan) and at the time of his marriage to Harriett WILLIAMSON his father's name was given as David LEMON, in the presence of Thomas LEMON and Mary LEMON.

All LEMMON/LEMON ancestors have the birth address of Killacronaghan, County Monaghan.

When I was a child I visited my Grandmother Margaret LEMMON, (daughter of John LEMON) who was married to Robert Henry GORDON, widowed and living with her son John GORDON at Killacronaghan.   I don't know if this was the original Killacronaghan LEMON farm or not.   The GORDON family had a farm at Templetate and that was the birth address for most of them.

It would certainly appear that we tie in here somewhere but it becomes very confusing because there were a lot of first cousin marriages, both in Monaghan and in California.   I am corresponding to HARBISON, LEMON and GORDON cousins
in U.S.A.

I have seen a marriage on the LDS web site for David LEMON b. 1779 to a Mary TODD with a son William born 1817 cc, but I cannot find a direct connection with my own family even though they both have the Killacronaghan address.

Hopefully we can find this connection between us. 

Offline elizabeth3

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 06:43 GMT (UK) »
Dear Toddstown,  I wonder if the William LEMON you mention and who you believe was the only member of his immediate family to remain in Ireland when his family emigrated to the U.S.A. is my LEMON ancestor from Killacronaghan.   I would like to hear what you have to say and would be very interested to hear more about this particular LEMON family.   Elizabeth

Offline dgclough

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 20 August 09 23:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth,
I was just searching on the internet to see whether I could find any more information on our ancestors, the Lemon family, and I found your message. Hallmark stated that Joseph Elliott married Isabella Lemon, daughter of William Lemon. Is this not the same Isabella Lemon that Toddstown mentions? Also, both Isabellas had fathers called William, and both were in Killycronaghan, so it seems likely that they are at least related, if not the same person. Also this William may be the William, son of David Lemon and Mary Todd, that Elizabeth refers to. This would appear to tie in all of our families. I am the great grandson of Mary Elizabeth LEMON, daughter of John LEMON and Harriet WILLIAMSON. Mary married Thomas GRAY and had my granddad, Johnny GRAY.
Thanks,
David

Offline dgclough

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 20 August 09 23:40 BST (UK) »
On second thoughts I looked at the record and it says the marriage date is around 1816. As we think John Lemon was born around 1846, it would seem unlikely that they are his parents. Also Toddstown's Isabella was born in 1811, so she is not this William's daughter, although they may still be related, as it seems unlikely there are two sets of Lemons in a place as small as Killycronaghan.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 21 August 09 00:56 BST (UK) »
Well there's the old Irish saying...."A Lemon never falls far from the tree".. ;D ;D

I see a West name in the mix, anyone have any West info? Looking for ANY West/Gray records please...

There were 2 William Lemons living in Monaghan at the time Griffith's Valuation took place there in 1858-60.

William Lemon, Sr., Killycronaghan, Killeevan.
William Lemon, Jr., Killycronaghan, Killeevan.

So what ages were they??
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline dgclough

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 21 August 09 08:38 BST (UK) »
I think William Sr. was probably the one whose parents were David Lemon and Mary Todd, so he would be born around 1817.  William Jr. would then be born around 1837. If he then had a daughter some time around 1857, then she would probably be the one who married Joseph Elliott in 1888.

Offline dgclough

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 21 August 09 08:42 BST (UK) »
There is also a Mary Lemon, who is probably William Senior's wife. The only other people are Matthew HARBISON, Thomas ELLIOTT and Thomas LENNARD. Is this Thomas ELLIOTT the father of Joseph Elliott? I think this Matthew Harbison is the father of Jane Harbison. Is it correct that Jane's mother was also a Lemon?

Offline dgclough

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 21 August 09 08:59 BST (UK) »
Thomas Lennard was actually Sir Thomas Barrett-Lennard, 2nd Baronet and he was the land owner.

Offline dgclough

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 21 August 09 09:03 BST (UK) »
LEMON      WILLIAM      CARA STREET      MONAGHAN      CLONES                      
LEMON    ROBERT    SHANKILL    MONAGHAN    CLONES          
LEMON    ANNE    KILLYCOONAGH    MONAGHAN    KILLEEVAN          
LEMON    WILLIAM    KILLYCRONAGHAN    MONAGHAN    KILLEEVAN          
LEMON    MARY    KILLYCRONAGHAN    MONAGHAN    KILLEEVAN          
LEMON    WILLIAM    KILLYCRONAGHAN    MONAGHAN    KILLEEVAN          
LEMON    ARTHUR    STRACLEVAN    MONAGHAN    TEDAVNET          
SMYTH    WILLIAM    LISLEA    MONAGHAN    CURRIN          
SMITH    JAMES    LISLEA    MONAGHAN    CURRIN          
MURPHY    EDWARD    DRUMAVEALE    MONAGHAN    CURRIN          
SMITH    WILLIAM    DRUMAVEALE    MONAGHAN    CURRIN          

William Lemon was the landlord of the ones in Currin.