Author Topic: Cragg - 1851/1861 K. Lonsdale area look up please  (Read 6461 times)

Offline xtonaud

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Cragg - 1851/1861 K. Lonsdale area look up please
« on: Friday 24 November 06 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Birkett Robert Cragg born 2/10/1840 Broken Brow registered Kendal 7/11/1840, informant mother Mary Cragg

1841 census Broken Brow Preston Richard Head of household Mary Cragg is a widow, BR listed as grandson and single daughter Mary listed with other family members.

Birkett Robert 's marriage certificate 1865 Coppull Lancashire names him as Robert Birkett age 23 and his father is listed as Thomas Shepherd.
I have been unable to locate BR or his mother on 1851 or 1861 census nor find his grandmother Mary's husband or her maiden name.
Possibility of BR listed as Robert in Slyne With Hest 1851 census with Margaret Cragg listed as visitor in the household where he is ag. labourer.

Any help/suggestions will be really appreciated
census records are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Harrison; Iddon; Jolly; Laithwaite; Livesey; Pilkington; Robinson; Shorrock ; Smith - Lancashire;  Boden; Morgan ;   - Shropshire/Montgomeryshire; Cragg ; Shepherd - Westmorland

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cragg - 1851/1861 K. Lonsdale area look up please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 December 06 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Looking at this from a wider perspective -  In 1861 there is a Birkett Cragg age 77 in Crook.  Born Heversham.  a farmer RG93963 F77 p3     The chances are very high that this is a relative so worth pursuing.
Andrea

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 December 06 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Having now looked at this more carefully I have to point out that you are making assumptions about relationships.  They are probably right but... the 1841 does not list relationships therefore it is absolute guesswork to say Birkett is a grandson.    There are other young women in the household.  Ann age 27, Mary 25, Jane 18, Margarett 16, Sarah  10 and Jno?? 20 (male)
I am sure you are correct but the 1841 does not prove it.   As there is a Margarett that makes your other census entry a bit more hopful.
Have you looked on family search to see if any of these children show up?
Wills may help here as if they were farmers they may have owned land.   
Is it possible for you to get to the record office?    A search of the local parish register may show up burials and marriages that are not on the IGI.   You can order the film of the nearest parish church from the LDS and search it at their centres if not.
Andrea

Offline xtonaud

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 December 06 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrea

Thanks for your reply. Yes assumptions are much of my conclusions but I do have the birth certificate stating mother as Mary Cragg and birthplace Broken Brow, as on the census - Broken Brow is a house not a district (still standing and occupied). Pure guesswork is that the wife in the Taylor household will turn out to be an aunt as well as the visitor Margaret - more assumptions but never accepted until I have some kind of proof.
A puzzling aspect is being unable to trace mother Mary or her (presumed) husband Thomas Shepherd who is listed on the marriage certificate as father.
I'm grateful for your interest and ideas, I've posted quite a few queries on this without positive response - many thanks

Harrison; Iddon; Jolly; Laithwaite; Livesey; Pilkington; Robinson; Shorrock ; Smith - Lancashire;  Boden; Morgan ;   - Shropshire/Montgomeryshire; Cragg ; Shepherd - Westmorland

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 December 06 20:35 GMT (UK) »
I think I would chase the Heversham connection.  Not sure why, but it is a lead to finding a husband for the older Mary as he may be a brother or son of Birkett from there.   Have you been through the parish register there to look for other Craggs?  The records prior to 1858 are on the IGI.
Thomas Shepherd may be a complete red herring - although the fact that the name is different is a plus.  why make up a new name?    All BMds after 1837 are free to search on ancestry.com.   Choose the full version.  A bore but it might pay dividends.
Andrea

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 December 06 20:41 GMT (UK) »
I take it you have searched the IGI on familysearch.   A plethora of Birkett Craggs over the years!
Andrea

Offline xtonaud

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 December 06 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrea

I've located most of the Broken Brow family with father James and mother Mary from 1809 all christened Preston Patrick (which I know to be where "my" Birkett Robert was christened.)Nothing "concrete" though. There is a marriage 1809 for a James Cragg and Mary Walker in Haversham but of course I have no way yet of connecting that for sure.
The Birkett name is prevailant in the area  - I do need to follow your suggestion of a record office visit.
I appreciate your interest and responses.

Offline Penberthy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 February 14 04:59 GMT (UK) »
Ann Cragg born 1796 married James Lee born 1793 in Kendal in 1818.  Her parents were Richard and Mary Cragg of Crosthwaite and Lyth, Heversham. Any info accepted about Craggs, also
James Lee's parents if possible.  I know about his son Thomas Lee who married Elizabeth Harrison.
Trying to go a bit deeper.  Thanks.

Offline xtoner

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 February 14 06:57 GMT (UK) »
Sorry but I don't see a connection with my tree unless Ann is a sister of my James but I haven't confirmed James' parents . You are welcome to look at my Tribal Pages tree, there are census returns in the photo section. bkch955.tribalpages.com
Lancashire; Monmouthshire; Montgomeryshire; Shropshire; Westmorland & Who Knows Where Else?