Author Topic: COATES, Bermondsey area - 1861 and 1871 census  (Read 5318 times)

Offline dillybert

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
COATES, Bermondsey area - 1861 and 1871 census
« on: Friday 24 November 06 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone,

I've tried all sorts of combinations to find this chap Benjamin COATES  in 1861 and 1871, though I have him earlier and later. 

This is a bit long but I thought I'd give you everything I already have. In Sep 1810, Benjamin Deberson(sp) Coates is christened in Littlehampton, Sussex. His parents are William and Sabrina Coates(IGI).  William Coates and Sabrina Deburson married in 1806 in Bermondsey (Pallots).

Benjamin moves back to Bermondsey and marries Eliza Ann Marshall in Newington (1833, IGI) , and has the following children:

Eliza Elizabeth 1834
Benjamin deburson (sp), 1836
Jemima, 1839
Rosina Elizabeth 1841
William John 1843
James 1845
Robert 1847
Susan, 1853

And, in 1841, they’re living in Bermondsey, Leather Market.
HO107/1047/2 Folio 18, Page 28

Benjamin COATES, 28, Fellmonger, Born in county: No
Eliza, 25, Born in county:Y
Eliza, 7
Benjamin, 5
Jemima, 3
Rosina, 4 M

In 1851, they’re still around the Bermondsey area.
HO107/1562 Folio 297, Page 23

Benjamin Deberson COATES, 39, Head, Mar, Fellmonger, born Sussex
Eliza Ann COATES, 38, Wife, Mar, b Berrmondsey
Benjamin, 15, b Bermondsey
Jemima, 12
Rosina, 9
William, 7
James, 6
Robert, 4

By 1861, the family appears to have split up. The daughter Eliza is married to a Robert Rowland (1859), and the youngest child Robert is living with them. James and William are boarding with a family in Hertfordshire. There is a death record in BMD for a Susan Coates in 1855. There is also a death record for Benjamin Deveason Coates (sic), in 1859 – which is presumably the son.

However, I can’t find Eliza and Benjamin snr. I presume they're dead but....

In 1881, still in Bermondsey:
RG12/563 – Folio 70, Page 10.
Benjamin COATES, 69, Fellmonger, b Littlehampton, Sussex
Caroline COATES, 63, Isle of Wight

I found the marriage and Benjamin marries Caroline ALLEN in 1864. I have the cert and I know it is the same Benjamin as Eliza Rowland is the witness.  Benjamin and Caroline both die before the next census.

So, I'd love to find Benjamin in 1861 and Benjamin and Caroline in 1871. As mentioned, I've looked a fair bit but cannot find them. I'm really hoping that perhaps others will have more skill and experience at searching.

Many thanks in advance

dilly
SMITH - Brewood/Coven, Staffs; FORSTER, Staffs; BIGGS - Lidlington, Beds; WILLCOCKS, Devon/South London; ALLEN - IOW/SouthLondon

Online Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: COATES, Bermondsey area - 1861 and 1871 census
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 November 06 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dilly
I am struggling with this!
Where did Benjamin and Caroline marry?  Don't know that it will help but it could give us a clue and we definitely need one or two of those.
By the way I did find a 27 year old Benjamin Coates on the 1861 census - a policeman - anything to do with your family?
Barbara
Joy, Larkin, Twort, Baker, Whibley - Brenchley and Horsmonden area Kent
Fewell and Speller - Essex and London
Headington and Bateman - London
Feltwell - Norfolk and London
Lewin - India and NZ
Evan-Thomas - Wales and London
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dillybert

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 November 06 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for helping.

The marriage was at St Mary's in Newington in July 1864. It's in Freebmd, but transcribed under Banjamin Coates so was tricky to find. They both give residence as Prospect Row. He gives profession as Leather Draper. He confirms father as William Coates, mariner.

It's actually Caroline ALLEN who I was originally interested in (she's my gggrandmother), but I've kind of adopted the COATES family along the way. Caroline is particularly elusive (that 1881 is the only census entry I'm sure about for her and she was born in 1815/20ish! - I could post a whole other thread on what she gets up too ???), so the COATES line was easier at one point  - now they feel like my own :D .

I will check out this policeman chap. Since William (B's father) seems to be in Bermondsey to get married, there may be other COATES relatives about.

thanks again
dilly
SMITH - Brewood/Coven, Staffs; FORSTER, Staffs; BIGGS - Lidlington, Beds; WILLCOCKS, Devon/South London; ALLEN - IOW/SouthLondon

Online Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 November 06 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Dilly
I am sorry but I have tried all sorts of searches but I cannot find them.
Could they have left the country temporarily? Alternatively could they (or just Benjamin in 1861) be with a family member and have been assigned the wrong surname entirely?
Barbara
Joy, Larkin, Twort, Baker, Whibley - Brenchley and Horsmonden area Kent
Fewell and Speller - Essex and London
Headington and Bateman - London
Feltwell - Norfolk and London
Lewin - India and NZ
Evan-Thomas - Wales and London
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jenny.h

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 January 09 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dilly

I've just come across your message from about 2 yearsago.

I'm interested in Benjamin Deberson Coates who is my great great grandad -

(father of Jemima who married William Higgins - I really want to find out about him but have come to a real dead end)

Heve you managed to find out anything more about this family? - if so, I'd love to hear from you

Jenny

Offline dillybert

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 January 09 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jenny
Nice to hear from you. I don't have a great deal more info than is listed here, though if you pm me your email address I will send you the details from Benjamin Coates marriage cert to Caroline Allen (1864). 

I have never found Benjamin in the 1861 census, or, indeed, Benjamin and Caroline in the 1871. I'm sure that the Benjamin in the 1881 census and 1864 marriage is the same person as in the earlier censuses - well as sure as I can be - as Eliza Rowland is the marriage witness.

Benjamin was son of William Coates and Sabrina Deburson, and was christened in Littlehampton. If I remember rightly, there are a couple of siblings in the same IGI batch, who don't seem to be around for long - I can probably dig these out if you want.

Deburson is a very rare name - not sure if it's a corruption of De Burson or something like that. I don't have a birth for Sabrina, or any info for either or them after the Littlehampton births.  There are a couple of London Deburson mentions in early records (including something in the Old Bailey records as a witness), though not a Sabrina, again I can dig these out for you.

Caroline dies in 1885, and Benjamin a year or two earlier - I can dig out the ref for you. I don't have the death cert for Benjamin but do for Caroline.

Any of this of help?
dillybert

Offline dillybert

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 June 09 21:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny

Not sure if you're still on Rootschat and interested in Benjamin Coates still, but thought I'd post this snippet in case you were.

I found out today that Benjamin Coates left a will when he died in 1884. It is listed in the Court of Probate index for 1884. I don't know what the will says, only that it existed. Caroline was the executor.

It means he probably wasn't badly off at all. Caroline's origins were very poor.

best wishes
dillybert

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 June 09 15:41 BST (UK) »
Hi dillybert

From the probate calendar for 1884 at Holborn

Coats, Benjamin

folio 466

Personal Estate £48 16s 10d

27 June

The will of Benjamin Coats formerly of 71 Abbey Street Bermondsey but late of 1 Earls-cottages Earls-road Old-kent-road both in the county of Surrey Fellmonger who died 4 June 1884 at Camberwell Infirmary in the said county was proved at the Principal Registry by Caroline Coats of 1 Earls-cottages widow the relict the sole executrix

Hope this helps if you want to order a copy of the will.

If you can get to Holborn it will cost you £5.00 and you can have it in a hour, if not you have to order it through York and wait

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline jenny.h

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 June 09 16:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that!

I've tried everything I can think of but I can't find out anything else about this family - it's really frustrating not being able to locate them in 1861 and 71

Pleaselet me know if you findanything else

Jenny