Author Topic: Mary Halligan,Shannon,Moran  (Read 14355 times)

Offline horttommie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Halligan,Shannon,Moran
« on: Sunday 26 November 06 06:40 GMT (UK) »
I hope I'm in the right place,please bare with me this is my first post. I

My G-G-G Grandmother Mary Shannon DOB 1843 Mayo, Ireland married James Halligan 8 Jan 1862 and had issue 5 children
Thomas,Bridget, Catherine, Mary, Ellen

James died in 25 Feb 1870, and Mary remarried a Daniel Moran 9 Feb 1872(Kilmovee Church)

Daniel Moran was from Glentavraun, son of Patrick Moran

Mary Shannon,Halligan, Moran was from KIlmore(Culmore),Kilkelly, her parents were James Shannon & Mary?

Daniel & Mary then had 5 children while living in Culmore
Catherine,Michael,John,Mary,Honor

I can give more details as to witness's etc to these children, but I'm really for now trying to find out where Mary is buried

The Moran family then immigrated to England, and they are found in the 1891, 1901 Census

1891-Civil Parish Spotland, Borough, County Laucashire, town Stacksteads, and lived at 8 Taylor Terrace

1901- Civil Parish now Bacup all else seems the same, but they may have moved down the road a bit? 12 Taylor Terrace

I'm trying to figure out if Mary and Daniel lived in this area for the remainder of there lives , or did they again immigrate , but this time to the US

If Mary & Daniel stayed I would then try to locate churches and cemeteries in the vicinity

Again I have tons more information on individuals in the family, who married who etc, but I'm trying to make a connection without over doing the names

I'm at a brick wall with Mary's first husband James, so I'm going to see if I can go farther back with Mary

After thinking about it I might as well just add some of the other names in my tree from back in this time period, and they are as follows

Halligan
Shannon
Moran
Hunt
Duffy
McManus
Tarpey

My fingers are crossed

Offline SandraC

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Annie with Brenda
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Halligan,Shannon,Moran
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 November 06 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Welcome to Rootschat!

There are a couple of possible deaths in the Haslingden registration district [which covers Bacup] after 1901:

Daniel Moran Q2 1920 aged 77 years - Haslingden vol 8e pf 125

Mary Moran Q4 1915 aged 73 years - Haslingden vol 8e pg 163

Good luck!
SandraC
Researching Clark, Holt, Threlfall, Platt, Walker, Bowers, Culshaw in Manchester, Salford, Ormskirk & Southport.
Also, Craggs, Hamer, Sampson, Hesketh, McNamara, Hodson.

All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline horttommie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 November 06 18:37 GMT (UK) »
SandraC

thanks for the reply
I'm not sure if I should just jump at this one, but for some reason as I've been looking to the people in these boards everyone is out there to help not to mislead, and have lots of knowledge to share, so I really appreciate you taking the time out for me

I wouldn't hold anything against you if this wasn't them I assure you
Genealogy is like Gambling-you win you lose

I'm new to exploring the country of England, so I'm totally unfamiliar with the districts, towns, parishes  layout etc and the procedures to obtain records like these

I'm a bit lost as to where Haslingden plays a role in obtaining these documents.

This is the name of the registration district I see, but is this also the place I look to obtain these documents?

How detailed are the England Death Certificates?
What is Q2,Q4 the year divided into quarters?

Q1= jan feb march
Q2=april may jun
Q3= july aug sep
Q4= oct nov dec

Sorry for my ignorance

I thank you again for the time and efforts

Thomas Halligan

Offline SandraC

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Annie with Brenda
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 November 06 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Thomas

No problem - excuse me for not explaining fully!

In England you can request copies of the certificates from:

either the local Register office
Haslingden was closed after a local Government reorganisation & the Registers are now at

Hyndburn and Rossendale

The Mechanics Institute
Willow Street
Accrington
Lancashire
BB5 1LP

Tel +44 (0)1254 871360

Cheques payable to 'Lancashire County Council' please.

Or you can order from the General Register Office [based in Southport, Merseyside]
They accept requests by fax, post, phone or on-line [if you have the volume & page number, the Registration district & the quarter]

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

The quarter years are as you stated

For a bit more on Bacup, see
http://www.genuki.org.uk:8080/big/eng/LAN/Bacup/

Let me know if you need any more hints

Good luck
SandraC

Researching Clark, Holt, Threlfall, Platt, Walker, Bowers, Culshaw in Manchester, Salford, Ormskirk & Southport.
Also, Craggs, Hamer, Sampson, Hesketh, McNamara, Hodson.

All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline horttommie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 November 06 04:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again for all your help

Im in genealogy overload right now and may have to put this all on the back burner for now. This has been the most incredible year of my life honestly

what type of details do the death certs have
I really dont have much to go on for my GGG Grandmother
She was married twice, no actual birth date just a approximate year. I have childrens names and spouse so that could help.
Does it list where they are buried?

Thanks Again
FDorgive me for all the questions
I know I could probably find them out for myself , but I'm in the lazymode right now

Offline horttommie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 November 06 04:08 GMT (UK) »
Forget my last post

Thanks A lot honestly for all of that information
them links will be very helpful
I will send away for Mary's death cert ASAP
I hope it's her
I will have then made a huge break through that even a paid genealogist couldn't do

Keep your fingers crossed

Offline Hurdigurdiman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Born Stacksteads Lancashire UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 March 09 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Well here is a copy of an email I just sent to Ben Halligan.. 
I am Micheal Grogan living in Pennsylvania.  My great grandad was Danial Moran I believe my Great Grandfather was married to your great great grandmother Mary/Shannon/Halligan/Moran who was married two times.  I was born in Stacksteads, Lancashire, England. My mother was Margaret, a daughter of Catherine Moran who was a daughter of Mary Shannon/Halligan/Moran from her second marriage.  I know now that Mary married her second husband (My grt grandad) after her first husband James Halligan died at the age of 35yrs in New Gersey USA.  I know your dad has passed on and would have loved this information.  I am old enough to remember my mothers auntie HONOR who lived in David Street Stacksteads, the next street to where I was brought up in the UK.   I referred to her as Aunt Onnie...  I was a child at the time.   Honor being the youngest of Mary's children.  She has 10 children between the two marriages.  You are related via her first marriage and I am related via her second marriage.   I have a photo of Mary's second husband Danial Moran (my grt grandad).   Attached.   I can also acquire a photo of Mary herself I believe from the daughter of Mary's youngest girl Honor.   Her name is Winnie Horan and aged in her 80s today. I will see her this April when I go to the UK on my yearly visit.   Mary and Danial are burried in Bacup Cemetary in Stacksteads Lancashire near to Bacup lancashire.    My mother (grand daughter of Mary and born in Stacksteads)  married an Irish man who was originally from Glan Taveranne, County Mayo, Eire).  I have been in Glan church many times.  I know Kilkelly, Kilmovee,  Thoreen crossroads, and many more places from around that area from when I used to go back to Ireland with my father and mother.   Both sides of my family originate from Mayo and are from the same area.   I have two girl cousins living in Gersey today named Horan whos mother Mary Anne was my fathers sister. Their Father Tom Horan was also a first cousin of my MOTHER can you believe.  Thier mother and my auntie Mary Anne bought land from a Halligan near to Kilmovee and built their house on the land some 8 miles from Kilkelly.  So all my grand parents on both my mother and father's side originate from that particular area of Mayo.  My Father was from Derry Taveranne. That's it for now until I hear from you. Take care.. Mike

Can you believe that I found all this info this day. This is the first time that I have ever tried to trace any relatives and my mind is exploding with all this great information.   If you want to know more about stacksteads where I was born and raised please ask. I will try my best to help anyone.  I am 67 years of age and going very strong.  I have a web page here http://www.ex-lancs.com  and links from that to my other pages.  Unfortunately (as yet)  Non of my pages trace ancestory.   My Parents, (Micheal and Margaret Grogan) My grand parents from my mothers side Catherine and Slyn Horan and my Great Grand Parents on my mothers side Mary and Danial Moran, are all buried in Bacup Cemetery within 50yards of each other.  I also have family photos which I could sent to you of my grand parents (Slyn and Catherine) and their children,  and hopefully this year I should have a photo of Mary shannon/halligan/Moran herself when you get in touch with me.  Thanks... Mike Grogan   ;D
Horan, Grogan, Halligan, Tarpy.

Offline Hurdigurdiman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 March 09 18:24 GMT (UK) »
You can see many photos of Stacksteads where Danial and Mary spent much of their lives, plus a story of my growing up in the same area  http://www.ex-lancs.com/Bombshell.htm

Offline Hurdigurdiman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 March 09 12:10 GMT (UK) »
I am Micheal Grogan living in Pennsylvania.  My great grandad was Danial Moran I believe my Great Grandfather was married to your great great grandmother Mary/Shannon/Halligan/Moran who was married two times.  I was born in Stacksteads, Lancashire, England. My mother was Margaret, a daughter of Catherine Moran who was a daughter of Mary Shannon/Halligan/Moran from her second marriage.  I know now that Mary married her second husband (My grt grandad) after her first husband James Halligan died at the age of 35yrs in New Gersey USA.  I know your dad has passed on and would have loved this information.  I am old enough to remember my mothers auntie HONOR who lived in David Street Stacksteads, the next street to where I was brought up in the UK.   I referred to her as Aunt Onnie...  I was a child at the time.   Honor being the youngest of Mary's children.  She has 10 children between the two marriages.  You are related via her first marriage and I am related via her second marriage.   I have a photo of Mary's second husband Danial Moran (my grt grandad).   Attached.   I can also acquire a photo of Mary herself I believe from the daughter of Mary's youngest girl Honor.   Her name is Winnie Horan and aged in her 80s today. I will see her this April when I go to the UK on my yearly visit.   Mary and Danial are burried in Bacup Cemetary in Stacksteads Lancashire near to Bacup lancashire.    My mother (grand daughter of Mary and born in Stacksteads)  married an Irish man who was originally from Glan Taveranne, County Mayo, Eire).  I have been in Glan church many times.  I know Kilkelly, Kilmovee,  Thoreen crossroads, and many more places from around that area from when I used to go back to Ireland with my father and mother.   Both sides of my family originate from Mayo and are from the same area.   I have two girl cousins living in Gersey today named Horan whos mother Mary Anne was my fathers sister. Their Father Tom Horan was also a first cousin of my MOTHER can you believe.  Thier mother and my auntie Mary Anne bought land from a Halligan near to Kilmovee and built their house on the land some 8 miles from Kilkelly.  So all my grand parents on both my mother and father's side originate from that particular area of Mayo.  My Father was from Derry Taveranne. That's it for now until I hear from you. Take care.. Mike

Can you believe that I found all this info this day. This is the first time that I have ever tried to trace any relatives and my mind is exploding with all this great information.   If you want to know more about stacksteads where I was born and raised please ask. I will try my best to help anyone.  I am 67 years of age and going very strong.  I have a web page here http://www.ex-lancs.com  and links from that to my other pages.  Unfortunately (as yet)  Non of my pages trace ancestory.   My Parents, (Micheal and Margaret Grogan) My grand parents from my mothers side Catherine and Slyn Horan and my Great Grand Parents on my mothers side Mary and Danial Moran, are all buried in Bacup Cemetery within 50yards of each other.  I also have family photos which I could sent to you of my grand parents (Slyn and Catherine) and their children,  and hopefully this year I should have a photo of Mary shannon/halligan/Moran herself when you get in touch with me.  Thanks... Mike Grogan