Author Topic: Mary Halligan,Shannon,Moran  (Read 14359 times)

Offline bugrudagust

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Halligan,Shannon,Moran
« Reply #9 on: Monday 04 May 09 11:18 BST (UK) »
my name is Margaret Bridget Nixon ( nee Connolly ) middle daughter of John Connolly ( eldest son ) and Margery , granddaughter of Matt Connolly and Bridget ( Horan - daugther of Slin Horan ) ,
and I am absolutely amazed that within a day of deciding to do my family history on my Connolly side i have found you - - you amazing man !!! I am named for my grandmother - and have nominated myself as the Connolly family archivist ( unofficial !!)

I remember well the house at Branch Street Stacksteads , my Connolly Uncles , some of the Ashworths , but most memorable is being taken to all the relations houses ( all women) who seemed to occupy most every house in Branch Street

My mum and dad married in 1951 , John , Paul , Angela were all born , then me in April 1956 , then Madeliene , Patrick and Michael - so another big family - at last count I have 46 connolly cousins - all the girls are the most gorgeous lookers i've ever seen - and some of the boys aren't bad too !!!

I regard myself as having a blessed childhood , with memories of family gatherings where Uncle Des and Uncle Jim would sing - and they truly have the finest voices , Jim has recently cut a CD - at last so we have some memories forever , but not all the best of singers would do a "turn" - Uncle Mat , God bless him would always stand up tapping his giant feet to the "Boston Burglar " , and of course my dad would do " Skibereen " , and aunty Mary "a mothers love's a blessing " and we'd all be shedding a tear now

in fact both my parents have passed - as has my uncle Mat , and only yesterday Mary , and her daughter Catherine and Mary sang that song beautifully in the Rosemount working mans club in Stacksteads !

IN fact i now get to the reason for this post , Sunday May 3rd 2009 was a great clan gathering of the Horans at Stacksteads and they invited as many Connollys , Ashworths and other related people to attend - your family simply MUST have been there too , I know john grogan junior is a massive singer and does all the do's a turn

what a mind blowing day

from it , e-mails were exchanged cos there are a lot of photographs to be exchanged of the above names - and I would love to invite you to send your e-mail so you can add in your memories and stuff - and join the group - in fact you may not be aware but on facebook there is a site group called - "bring back john grogan's barbers shop on fareholme lane , stacksteads " !! hahaah

During the telling of stories I stood up and asked the room ( must have been 150 people there - all related - how mind blowing , and not everyone could come ! ) could anyone tell me the place and date of Slin Horans birth - my aunty Mary shouted Glan , Glantarvan , I don't know the date but he died on my 18th birthday , and he was 75 - so sleuthing means he was born 1865-8

and can you believe it - thats all anyone knows - I don't know who the following are and would really appreciate if you could help - I can see my great grandparent Horan's are buried in Stacksteads - as are my mum and dad
my great grandmother Horan - b where and when ? - her parents ditto , Slin Horan's mum and dad - ditto ( i do know a Horan married a Moran as family legend goes - but thats all !!)

my granddad Matt Connolly - born when and where ?- who were his mum and dad - born when and where ? - the fact no-one can help me with this is astonishing - it's like the Connolly memory was wiped off the face of the earth as the Horans took over !!!!

any information would be amazing - and any details however vague of ancestors before them - a serious bonus !!!

I am now going back to read your story of growing up in stacksteads - its like listening to my dad's voice down the ages - when did you emigrate - and are you interested in catch up on what happened to the great Connolly dynasty ? haah

please write back and lovely to meet you - you were 15 when I was born - I remember as a little girl my dad took Angela , john and Paul for a hair cut to John Grogan's , and he cut them all the same - all short - and my mum cried cos he'd cut off all Angela's black curls - and the story goes they never grew back again - and yes I remember tin baths - there a picture of me an my sister in one as babies - (much to my horror !!!) at townsendfold where mum and dad spent their first years of married life ,

again my delight at meeting you on this site and any help over the Irish place names and people of Horan ancestry would be great - and then the Connolly digging must begin also
kind regards

Margaret Nixon

Offline bugrudagust

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 May 09 12:38 BST (UK) »
its ages since this post but i have only recently found you - i do hope the following can help - i believe the Daniel and Mary Moran , halligan you refer to are my gg-grandparents , i am very recently into this and have started my research and am stuck at them , and am extremely thankful for what your post revealed to me . if you are able to access my new website it will reveal what happened to their offspring too!! but as always with these things I'm beginning to learn we prefer to go backwards rather than forwards !!! Daniel and Mary were Bridget's ( my grandmothers ) grandparents , and since Bridget married Matt and lived all her life after that at Branch street Stacksteads its probably safe to assume that no they didn't emigrate , and that their descendants have stayed mostly in and around Lancashire ! They will I've no doubt be buried at the cemetery at stacksteads which is off Fareholme Lane , and were either married at St Joseph's Stacksteads or St Mary;s Bacup . If you have had any success going further back and traced ancestors in Ireland I would greatly appreciate if you could share that information with me - i too somewhere along the lines have heard Tarpey mentioned - maybe Mary's mother ? - not sure but i will continue digging having started its a addictive. I recommend the other posts on this link - especially Mick grogan who,s helped me with information - good luck , Margaret Nixon Connolly horan Moran Shannon !!!
http://theconnollys.tribalpages.com

Offline horttommie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 11 May 09 13:58 BST (UK) »
Michael Grogan and Margaret Nixon

Do you have the PAF-5 program?
Its through www.lds.org

If you download it I can send it to you and you can disregard a lot of my family stuff, but I do have many details of who was married or baptised where
Has anyone heard of www.findagrave.com
Im not sure if they have international capabilities, but it would be great to photograph family cemeteries

WOw would I love to attend a family reunion, and to visit Ireland  and England
you both are the keys that two generations of my Halligans have been looking for

I dont know how to relay all this information to my Halligan cousin to whom I found after 10 years of my research not even knowing my G Grandfather

Well I have to go for now

Hope to digest this all beter to plug it into my PAF-5 Program which by the way is FREE

Offline a40a40

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 18 July 09 13:57 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have discovered the grave of Daniel and Mary (Shannon) Moran. Unfortunately Mary's name is not on the gravestone, but she IS buried there. It is very small and  plain headstone.

It simply reads

"D. Moran
    R.I.P."

The grave is in Bacup cemetery England. If you get Google earth the location is "Brunswick Terrace Stacksteads England". If you zoom in on the map you will see two blue squares to the right hand side. These are 2 photos of the cemetery. The first photo just misses out Daniels/Mary's grave (and that of Patrick Horan/ Catherine Horan nee Moran, Daniel/Mary's eldest daughter, my G Grandma) which are just off to the left lower corner of the photo. The second photo taken from the opposite direction (that's the same tree in the middle of the picture) shows the gateway and the graves are to the right of the gates allong the stone wall.
If you let me have your email I can take photos of the graves to send you.
Mike

Offline JimMoran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 11 February 19 23:47 GMT (UK) »
some images of headstones from Stacksteads' cemetery:

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Jim. Welcome to RootsChat. Are your Moran ancestors from Mayo?
Is the faded tombstone on the bottom row Kathleen Walsh?
Cowban

Offline JimMoran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Yes from Sonnach-mhulláin / Sinolane, Gleann Tabhráin - Glantavraun area near Kilmovee.

The headstone is Ellen Walsh.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 18:47 GMT (UK) »
That's much better. I read her name on first image as __leen which is why I assumed Kathleen.
Are they graves of related families? I looked at the full set on the link.
Cowban

Offline JimMoran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Probably many are related as much of the Irish in Stacksteads & Bacup are from East Mayo or Donegal.
However it's just a small selection of the Irish headstones in Stacksteads cemetery.