Author Topic: mary tipping born 1815,garston,liverpool..any brothers or sisters??  (Read 5158 times)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
mary tipping born 1815,garston,liverpool..any brothers or sisters??
« on: Sunday 26 November 06 10:07 GMT (UK) »
hi...in my family tree i have my g.g.g grandparents joannis tipping(later in census as john) born 1771 in woolton,liverpool who married ann low born 1771 in woolton,liverpool...they married in 1789 in woolton,liverpool....one of their children was mary tipping born 1815 in garston,liverpool....i presume at the age of 44 mary was not an only child...how do i find marys brothers and sisters???...any tips??...regards...allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
Re: mary tipping born 1815,garston,liverpool..any brothers or sisters??
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 November 06 10:21 GMT (UK) »
The IGI lists three children born to Joannis Tipping, but I wonder if he has a second marriage later

Maria Tipping
Birth:  15 December 1815      Garston
Christening:     17 December 1815      St Mary Woolton
Father Joannis Tipping Mother Anna Low Tipping

Anna Tipping
Birth: 10 November 1822       Garston
Christening: 17 November 1822       St Mary Woolton
Father Joannis Tipping Mother Helena Kershaw Tipping

Jane Tipping
Birth:  11 February 1825
Christening:      20 February 1825      St Mary Woolton
Father Joannis Tipping Mother Ellen Kilshaw Tipping

The probability is that Ellen Kilshaw and Helena Kershaw are simply mistranscriptions of the same person.

John Tippin married Ellen Kelshaw 21st January, 1821 at St Peter's Church Street, Liverpool
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 November 06 10:23 GMT (UK) »
The IGI on the Latterday Saints site has a number of Tipping births in South Liverpool. These two both have father Joannis - an unusual name, so likely to be connected:

Maria 1815 Garston - parents Joannis and Anna Low Tipping
Anna 1822 Garston - parents Joannis and Helena Kershaw Tipping

The fact that there are two different mothers may suggest two wives (or two different husbands!)

Good luck
Lesley

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 November 06 10:24 GMT (UK) »
http://www.liverpool-genealogy.org.uk/Information/churches.htm

This would confirm as I thought that St Mary's Woolton was a Catholic Church, the transcribing of John as Joannis (the latin form) would suggest that.

The place to look for the microfilms/fiches for both St Mary's Woolton and St Peters, Liverpool would be the Liverpool Records Office, or if you are too far away to be able to do that then if you have a nearby LDS Centre you will be able to order the films there - check for the location of your nearest at www.familysearch.org
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 November 06 10:25 GMT (UK) »
You beat me to it MaryA! I was fascinated by this query as I was brought up in Garston, and married there, but haven't been back for years. Ah . . . memories!

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 November 06 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Allan, it's worth looking on the IGI - there are a number of other Tippings in the area, who may well be related - you could probably find them on the 1841 census.
Lesley

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 November 06 10:32 GMT (UK) »
I also checked for any children with father John, rather than the Joannis spelling, but unsuccessfully.

It would appear strange for Mary (again the spelling of Maria would confirm a Catholic church) to have been the first child.  Maybe some of the earlier baptisms/christenings have either not been transcribed on the IGI, or alternatively maybe there were earlier children christened in a different church.  Again Liverpool Record Office should be able to help you with any earlier ones in the location.  Also try http://www.genuki.org.uk/ and see what others you can find, although not all of them give the dates they opened.

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 November 06 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Where did you find John's birthplace and date?  If you check the IGI for him the nearest I see was a John Stewart Tipping born 27 July 1788 and christened     2 September 1788      St Nicholas, Liverpool parents John and Jane, which is also a possibility.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 November 06 10:38 GMT (UK) »
thanks very much mary/lesley for your input...appreciate it.....maria / mary was my g.g.grandmother born in garston,and i still live in garston .....lesley,..good chance i`ll know your family,as you know ,its a small close knit community and anything that happens,is known by everyone the next day..lol...thanks again....allan oakes
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford