Author Topic: George W Phillips - Brickwall - Islington/Clerkenwell  (Read 5637 times)

Offline jjq

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
COMPLETED - re: George W Phillips - Brickwall - Islington/Clerkenwell
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 28 October 07 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jennifer

Many thanks for that very thorough reply to my last query -  I think I will follow that George and do a bit of research on the address of the school.

In the meantime, I will carrry on seaching!

Thanks once more for your reply.

Reagrds

Jan
Hertfordshire - Stone, Wells, Quarry,Claxton
London - Sutton (Southwark/Clerkenwell), Phillips (Clerkenwell), Stone (Chelsea)
Suffolk - Turner & Rogers (Lavenham)
Norfolk - (K)Nobbs & Germany (Norwich)
Middlesex - Shackell
Anywhere - Quarry & variants
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline njap

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George W Phillips - Brickwall - Islington/Clerkenwell
« Reply #10 on: Friday 22 October 10 13:15 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm a grandson of Bertie James, I've just started to research my family, I understand from my Dad (Kenneth Bertram) that after George William and Beat were married in 1917 they lived at 14 Wakefield Road, Tottenham, N.15. My Dad was born in September 1920 and was brought up at 12 Wakefield Road. He recalls that his Grandad "went to sea" at an early age, working in the Merchant Navy. I understand from research carried out by another cousin that George William was born on the Isle of Wight but I want to verify this myself. The 1911 census indicates that George William (Widower) and the family lived at 20 Tenterden Road, Tottenham, N.17. My Dad also recalls that Elizabeth married George Adamson a builder and lived in Acacia Road, Tottenham N17/Wood Green N22 border, and that Uncle Frank died young. He also recalls Bill and Em moved to Wales after WW2 and had two daughters Ivy and Louisa.  I hope this information may be of use to you, Nick

Offline jjq

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 22 October 10 19:26 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thanks for the message - we are second cousins  - my grandfather (George Henry Phillips) was Berties elder brother. I have a copy of the 1911 census - this initial request was about 4 years ago.... but have not been able to do much research since. I have progressed no further but am now encouraged to do some work.

Will reply more to you off forum.

Good to hear from you

Jan
London - Sutton (Southwark/Clerkenwell), Phillips (Clerkenwell), Stone (Chelsea)
Middlesex - Shackell

Offline jjq

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 20 November 15 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Have come back to this brick wall after a few years gap, partly due to the 1939 register coming online.

Although I have not found George Phillips birth yet, nor his entry on 1861/1871/1881 census, I have a "birth date" - 10 September 1858 - and he is a retired taxi driver, living with his 2nd wife Beatrice.
Living at 10 Wakefield Road, Tottenham, North London

But there are still so many George Phillips to check through - it is still something to work with! Thanks to all who have helped in the past!
Middlesex - Shackell

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 20 November 15 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Have you investigated William Duncombe Moorby - witness to the 1883 marriage - to see whether he may be related to George or provide clues as to his life pre-marriage?

WDM's birth was registered in London City, Sep qtr 1862.  He married in Bethnal Green 1884 to Mary Ann Ashby.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline jjq

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 20 November 15 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for the reply.

William Duncombe Moorby  was George's wifes brother in law. Georges wife was Louisa Elizabeth Ashby .

George and his wife named one of their sons William Duncombe Phillips... although on many records this has been misinterpreted as Duncan rather than Duncombe!

I can trace Louisa's tree back several generations luckily!

Thanks once again.
Middlesex - Shackell