Author Topic: The MURISON family name.  (Read 46547 times)

Offline Chris Duff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: The MURISON family name.
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 22:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Guys,
I've been off the beaten track for a while.  Anne: Your MORRISON family interests me in that the croft of Cross Slacks keeps coming up.  John MURISON (c1690-c1760)  had the tack of Crossford.  A learned gentleman at the A&NESFHS and very familiar with the Gamrie area questioned Crossford and suggested it should be Crosslacks, because in those days the letter s looked like an f.  When there are two letters s the first is written as s and the second looks like an f, in my experience.

From information just received, it appears John Murison did not pass on the tack when he died, so it is quite conceivable that your MORRISON family took over the croft.  Have you seen the words Cross Slacks written down in script form?

Steve: I took your advice and typed in MURISON/MORISON/MORRISON at the National Archives of Scotland website and got zilch.  What exactly did you type in?  I did type in MURISON and hit a motherlode!  Reference was made to all the correspondence my grandfather must have referred to some 70 years ago when he researched our family.  A precis had been entered of many letters and even from these I learned a great deal more than I knew before about the family, good and bad!

I learned that my great-great uncle, James MURISON (1834- ? ), emigrated to CANADA around 1870 and worked initially on the Great Western Railway.  In 1874, he rented a farm in the St. Thomas area of Ontario and in 1880 he rented another.  Then nothing.  I've checked the telephone book for St.Thomas and the surrounding area to see if there are still any Murisons around.  The closest are three in London, Ontario, which is not too far from St. Thomas.

I live in Oakville, Ontario and some three hour's drive from St. Thomas.  Will any Murisons in Ontario (there are 60 in Ontario's telephone books) who are directly descended from James Murison, farmer, or any of his siblings who could have emigrated later, please  make themselves known.

I look forward to hearing from someone.
Chris

Chris
Researching Blackhall, Cox, Duff, Farlow, Hallifax, Herdman, McCrae, Morison, Murison

Offline renard

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 09 August 08 11:24 BST (UK) »
Is anyone on this site connected to any of these Morrisons.
James Morrison  b1826 Gamrie
Jessie Alexander b 1833 Auchterless [wife]
children George b 1865 Jessie b 1870 Harriet b 1872
Peter b1874 Charles b 1877 William 1880  all the children were born in Gamrie. James Morrison described as a farmer of 21 acres
[more of a croft than a farm] at Longmanhill Gamrie.
Peter and his wife fostered my father who was illegitimate looking
for a family connection to Rennie or Low as my father thought they were relatives of some sort unfortunately peter died when
my father was 7 years old, my father was then sent to a children's home so any connection seems more likely to be Peters side of the family than his wifes.
Also doe's anyone have any infomation on 7 James street Macduff
any connection to Morrisons in 1920s

Renard

Offline Alan b

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 02 October 08 20:51 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I have a number of Morison's in my tree, the furthest back is Benjamin Morison who married Isobel Leslie at Inverkeithny in 1753. They had 8 children - Margaret b 1754, Christian b 1756, Ann b 1758, George b 1760, Helen 1764, Benjamin b 1766, Catherine b 1768 and Jean (my direct ancestor) b 1771.

If anyone is connected please let me know.
Bloomfield, Knights, Whitmore, Warner (Suffolk)
Hamlin (London, Yorkshire, Scotland, Suffolk)
Mattocks, Newick, Nutter, (Kent)
Mattocks (Staffs)

Offline James Tabago

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 02 October 08 21:11 BST (UK) »
Hello
I have been following the post, only information I have (which might not even be relevant) relates to Banff

From Annals of Banff, St. Mary's Kirkyard
(stone number 505)
Here lyes the Body of Isabel Murison, dau. to Alex. Murison, shoemaker in Banff, who died february 25th 1776. This stone repaired by Ann, the last of the family

There are a number of  morrisons recorded in the Annals if its helpful I can post them for you, might need to do a bit of working out though. 
Good luck with your search
J

Offline gedleg

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 19 October 08 17:16 BST (UK) »
Hi! Have just seen your post and realise your tree comes very close to mine!

My Grandmother was Christina Morrison who was born in Elgin on 25/12/1879. her perents were George & Frances Morrison. George was a Shoemaker and also a School caretaker. Other elements of my family lived in Macduff at various times in Garden Street,Gellymill Street and Duff Street.
I am not a Morrison myself, Christina Morrison married William Geddes who was my paternal Grandfather.
From Bill Geddes

I thought I would try to list some of my Morrison ancestors but it is so difficult to trim the tree so I apologise for its length. I have not been able to link in with any of the Murisons yet but the era is young so who knows what the future holds. (wish I knew what the past held)
If I have overstepped the mark on listing sorry.

Generation No. 1

1.  JAMES1 MORRISON was born Abt. 1735 in Gamrie Scotland.  He married MARGARET BREBNER Abt. 1760 in Gamrie Banff Scotland, daughter of ALEXANDER BREBNER and MARGARET TAYLEOR.  She was born 11 Jul 1735 in Fordyce Banff Scotland.

Children of JAMES MORRISON and MARGARET BREBNER are:
   i.   JAMES2 MORRISON, b. 28 Aug 1761.
2.   ii.   JOHN MORRISON, b. 11 Dec 1762, Gamrie Banffshire Scotland; d. 18 Jul 1839, Cross Slacks Croft Gamrie Banffshire Scotland.
   iii.   GEORGE MORRISON, b. 08 Oct 1764.
   iv.   JEAN MORRISON, b. 24 Feb 1768.
   v.   PETER MORRISON, b. 01 Apr 1770.
   vi.   ELSPET MORRISON, b. 14 Jan 1772.
   vii.   WILLIAM MORRISON, b. 07 Jul 1774.
   viii.   THOMAS MORRISON, b. 16 Aug 1777.

Generation No. 2

2.  JOHN2 MORRISON (JAMES1) was born 11 Dec 1762 in Gamrie Banffshire Scotland, and died 18 Jul 1839 in Cross Slacks Croft Gamrie Banffshire Scotland.  He met ANNE DAVIDSON 10 Feb 1788 in Burntyard Croft Gamrie Banffshire Scotland, daughter of JAMES DAVIDSON and HELEN ROY.  She was born 12 Jan 1767 in Mortlach Banffshire Scotland.

Children of JOHN MORRISON and ANNE DAVIDSON are:
3.   i.   JOHN3 MORRISON, b. 12 May 1792, Burntyard Croft Gamrie Banffshire; d. 05 Mar 1867, Cross Slacks Croft Gamrie Banffshire.
   ii.   ANNE MORRISON, b. 07 May 1794, Burntyards Croft Gamrie Banff Scotland.
4.   iii.   MARGARET MORRISON, b. 19 Mar 1796, Gamrie Banff Scotland.

Generation No. 3

3.  JOHN3 MORRISON (JOHN2, JAMES1) was born 12 May 1792 in Burntyard Croft Gamrie Banffshire, and died 05 Mar 1867 in Cross Slacks Croft Gamrie Banffshire.  He met JEAN BRODIE 25 Apr 1825 in Gamrie Parish Church Gamrie  Scotland, daughter of JAMES BRODIE and ISOBEL LAURANCE.  She was born 17 Apr 1809, and died 05 Mar 1849 in Cross Slacks Gamrie.

Children of JOHN MORRISON and JEAN BRODIE are:
5.   i.   ELIZABETH4 MORRISON, b. 20 Aug 1825, Knowhead Croft Banff Scotland.
   ii.   JANE MORRISON, b. Abt. 1826.
   iii.   JEAN GRANT MORRISON, b. 28 Jul 1827, Knowhead Gamrie Banff Scotland.
   iv.   JOHN MORRISON, b. 09 Jul 1829, Gamrie Banffshire Scotland.
6.   v.   ALEXANDER MORRISON, b. 01 Feb 1832, Cross Slacks Croft Gamrie Banffshire Scotland; d. 24 Oct 1882, Charmers Hospital Banffshire Scotland.
   vi.   ANNE MORRISON, b. 03 Oct 1834.

4.  MARGARET3 MORRISON (JOHN2, JAMES1) was born 19 Mar 1796 in Gamrie Banff Scotland.

Child of MARGARET MORRISON is:
i.   HELEN4 MORRISON, b. Abt. 1824, Gamrie; m. R MC ROBIE, Abt. 1844; b. Abt. 1824.

Generation No. 4

5.  ELIZABETH4 MORRISON (JOHN3, JOHN2, JAMES1) was born 20 Aug 1825 in Knowhead Croft Banff Scotland.  She met WILLIAM SMITH 17 Oct 1846 in Gamrie Parish Church Gamrie Scotland.  He was born Abt. 1825 in Gibralter.

Children of ELIZABETH MORRISON and WILLIAM SMITH are:
   i.   JEAN5 SMITH, b. Abt. 1848.
   ii.   MARY SMITH, b. Abt. 1850.

6.  ALEXANDER4 MORRISON (JOHN3, JOHN2, JAMES1) was born 01 Feb 1832 in Cross Slacks Croft Gamrie Banffshire Scotland, and died 24 Oct 1882 in Charmers Hospital Banffshire Scotland.  He married ELSPET MICHIE 06 Nov 1858 in Gamrie Parish Church Banff Scotland, daughter of ALEXANDER MICHIE and BARBARA HEATHERWICK.  She was born 21 Jul 1838 in Gamrie Scotland, and died 15 Apr 1915 in Banff District Asylum Banffshire Scotland.

Children of ALEXANDER MORRISON and ELSPET MICHIE are:
7.   i.   BARBARA5 MORRISON, b. 14 Dec 1858, Macduff.
   ii.   JOHN MORRISON, b. 15 Jan 1861, McDuff Scotland; m. JEAN NEE MORRISON, Abt. 1892; b. Abt. 1861.
   iii.   JANE MORRISON, b. 18 Sep 1864, Macduff.
   iv.   ANNE MILLER MORRISON, b. 04 May 1867, Macduff; m. HUGH HAMILTON, Abt. 1888; b. Abt. 1867.
                   v.   ELSPET MORRISON, b. 20 Jul 1869, McDuff Scotland; d. 24 Apr 1872, Clergy Street McDuff Scotland.
8.   vi.   JESSIE ISABELLA MORRISON, b. 29 Nov 1871.
9.   vii.   ALEXANDER MORRISON, b. 05 Apr 1873, Garden Street Macduff Banffshire Scotland; d. 15 Dec 1938, Highfield General Hospital Chester Road Sunderland.
10.   viii.   ROBINA GRIGOR MORRISON, b. 08 Nov 1875, Macduff.
11.   ix.   GEORGE BARBER MORRISON, b. 17 Mar 1877, 3 High Street Macduff Scotland; d. Mar 1969.
12.   x.   JAMES MORRISON, b. 29 Nov 1878, 23 Buchan Street Macduff Scotland; d. 1912.
   xi.   WILLIAM MORRISON, b. Abt. 1880.

and theres more and more and more
Anne Ambrose nee Morrison
My email address is not working at the moment sorry.
Geddes
Macquarie
Laurie
Morrison
Invergordon Nairn Macduff Elgin Cullen

Offline RGHM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 04 August 09 02:46 BST (UK) »
Chris: My grandfather was a John Murison married to CATHERINE GREY (second wife). I have a lot of information on this end of the family,

My father was Robert Murison
I am Robert Gordon Harvey Murison
My son is Robert Gordon Roland Murison

I was born in Winnipeg, Manitoba 1942'

I do have dates but not handy at the moment

My father had brothers Willliam, Harvey and John and possibly an Alex.

Offline RGHM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 04 August 09 02:57 BST (UK) »
Chris: My grandfather John  Murison was born May 23 1855 Cruden \died April 2, 1932

Gordon

Offline Chris Duff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 25 September 09 01:11 BST (UK) »
Gordon, this may or may not be relevant, but two lots of my Murisons went to Winnipeg.  James Murison (1860-1950) and his wife Susan Bush (1866-1958) had children James, Mary and Francis there.  James became a doctor and went out to British Columbia. 

Margaret Murison (1862-1936) married George Garrow (1864- ? )  and had children Jeane, Gillan, William and Douglas.

James and Margaret were two children of James Murison (1833-1908) and Isabella Garrow (1824-1896).  The family had emigrated from Banffshire in 1872 and settled in the St Thomas area of Ontario.

I would be interested to hear if any of this connects with you.

Chris
Chris
Researching Blackhall, Cox, Duff, Farlow, Hallifax, Herdman, McCrae, Morison, Murison

Offline knitted dookers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 17 September 10 11:29 BST (UK) »
Hello Chris and Anne,

I've been following your posts with interest as I have Morisons from Gamrie.
I have Alexander Morison married Jean Milne 1807 in Gamrie. They had at least 5 children - Jean b 1808, John b 1809, Alexander b 1811, James b 1813 and Robert b 1814. All were born in Gamrie.
Alexander b 1811 is my direct line and I have been able to find out a lot about him and his family. I haven't been able to go further back than the 1807 marriage yet. The surname has changed to Morrison by 1842.
I know that this is a bit later than both of your families but wondered if you had come across them.
Elaine  :)
Hi Elaine
I just spotted your post and had  come across your Morrisons when searching for mine at New Register House a couple of weeks ago. My grandfather, Gordon Stratton, had a sister who died young. I only recently found her birth certificate, as I had been given the wrong first name by my grandfather - he called her Evie, but actually her full name was Florence Eveline Ross Stratton. Coincidentally when searching for siblings of Margaret Jane Morrison (my grandfather and Evie's mother), I came across an entry for Eveline Ann Ingram Morrison, daughter of John Morrison and Eveline Ann Ingram, Turriff 1881. His parents were Alexander Morrison and Elizabeth Ross and his paternal grandparents were Alexander Morrison and Jane Milne. I have an inkling they might be connected to my Morrisons in some way, as the name is unusual enough for it to perhaps be more than coincidental... I may be clutching at straws though... Margaret Jane Morrison is daughter of William Morrison and Ann Maitland, and William's parents are Arthur Morrison and Ann Winton, and Arthur's parents are John Morrison and Margaret Reidford. They can be found in either Aberdeen, Turriff, Marnoch or Beauly at various points.  Do you know of any connection?
Thanks,
Louisa
Researching the following names in the Northeast of Scotland:
ANDERSON, BEATTIE, BREBNER, EMSLIE, FULLERTON, GARVIE, GIBB, LEDINGHAM, MAITLAND, MORRISON, REID, REIDFORD, SPRING, STRATTON, TRAIL, WINTON