Author Topic: The MURISON family name.  (Read 46529 times)

Offline mitchell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The MURISON family name.
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 19 September 10 11:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Louisa,

I haven't looked at this thread for some time and it was purely by chance that I did yesterday and saw your post. It's been a while since I looked at my Morrisons so wanted to get up to speed again before I replied!

Thanks to your information, I found John Morrisons marriage to Eveline and also where they were in 1881. I also looked again at some of his siblings and found his brother Robert's marriage to Isabella Wilson and their children. They settled in Macduff.
Going back to Alexander Morrison and his wife Elizabeth (John's parents)...I had her surname as Joss and at first I thought that I had been mistaken and that it should be Ross after seeing your post. I've looked again at her marriage and death certificate and it is definitely Joss. This is also confirmed with Robert's daughter who was named Elizabeth Joss. I don't know if this helps or hinders but agree that the name Eveline is unusual and feel that there probably is a connection if we can only find it!

Thanks again for the information and I'll let you know if I find out anything else.
Elaine
Mitchell, Turner, Henderson, Archibald, Smith, Walker, Burgess, Alexander, Margetts, Joss - Aberdeenshire
Proctor, Morrison, Henderson, Burgess, McWilliam, Green, Grant, Young, Dey, Allan - Banffshire
Proctor, Logie, Grant - Moray
McRae - Ross & Cromarty and Invernesshire
Clunie, Philp - Fife

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline JaneMurison

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 29 January 11 04:15 GMT (UK) »
My maiden name is Murison and my ancestors came to New Zealand from Alyth, Scotland in 1850's.  I would be interested to hear of any possible connections.  My father has spent considerable time researching his family heritage but he is now 84 and living in care.  Maybe this is the appropriate time for me to pick this up?

Offline Chris Duff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Jane, get hold of all the information you have and lay it out chronologically, starting way back and work your way forward.  Then get back to this forum and give some names, dates and places.  We're a helpful lot, but we need something to get us started.

Have fun!
Chris
Chris
Researching Blackhall, Cox, Duff, Farlow, Hallifax, Herdman, McCrae, Morison, Murison

Offline Morrison_searcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 26 April 12 11:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris
Thanks for your mail. I am sure somewhere down the line we will find a link as almost all of my Morrisons were born in Gamrie. However at this moment in time all I know is my first James Morrison was born in Banff abt 1735 m Margeret Brebner in abt 1760 and had at least 8 children between 1761 and 1777
Childrens names were James b 1761, John b 1762, George b abt 1764, Jean b abt 1768, Peter b abt 1770, Elspet b abt 1772, William b abt 1774, Thomas b abt 1777.
It is from John b 1762 that is my direct link.
I am aware that all of the above children were born in Gamrie Banff and that John d 1839 at cross slacks croft in Gamrie.
I do have a fair bit of information from there on in down to today but my biggest stumbling block is I cannot find anything at all about my first James b 1735. It is as if he just appeared from out of space.
I do remember my father once mentioning the Black Isles which I think is in Ross and Cromoty in the highlands but I cannot follow this without something more concrete. So brick wall it is unless????????
Regards Anne

Hi Anne

I've managed to trace my family line back to George Taylor Morrison who married Ann Reaper on 10 March 1863.  George and Ann both lived in Grange, Banff. I've been told that George died during November 1932 (I need to confirm this) They had a son named Adam (born 1891) who married Lily May Smith. Adam moved to South Africa during his teenage years in the early 1900's.

I've tried tracing George's parents but there are a number of possibilities of who his parents could have been. I have wondered if he is in any way related to the George Morrison mentioned in your post. Should you have any information, please post.

Thanks

Calvin

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 26 April 12 11:50 BST (UK) »
Hi,I note you say you've tried to find George's parents. His parents names will be on his marriage certificate & will also mention whether they're alive or deceased at the time of the marriage. This will be availabe to view online on the scotlandspeople website.
Hope this helps. Please let us know what you find out & we'll try & help more!
Regards,
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Morrison_searcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 26 April 12 12:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks flst

That was the next step I would've taken had no one been able to furnish me with the information.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 26 April 12 12:04 BST (UK) »
Just realised you're new to rootschat. Welcome! Once you've found the names of his parents I'm sure we'll be able to help you more. :)
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 26 April 12 12:15 BST (UK) »
Hi, can you tell me what censuses you have viewed? From the 1901 census I see that George states he was born in the parish of Boharm, circa 1844.Have you managed to trace him back from 1901?
flst

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 26 April 12 14:14 BST (UK) »
Hello all,
I've just been reading this thread from start to finish with interest.  I don't think I have anything to add, nor do I expect that from this my own (very minor) Morrison question will be answered, but this will at least bookmark the thread for me so I can keep track of what else comes up.

I've been doing some work on the Innes family, and over a couple of hundred years they've all been Boharm, Botriphnie, Aberlour etc, and latterly into the town of Keith itself.     One name intrigued me because I can't see the link - William Morrison Innes, b 1861 in Boharm, son of Alexander Innes and Isabella Henderson.

I realise that the 'Morrison' could relate to a non-relative but would have expected it to reflect an ancestor, possibly through a maternal line.   Isabella's parents, as far as I can tell and I've still to confirm, were John Henderson and Elizabeth Brander, so there's no obvious clue to the Morrison name there.

As I said, more of a bookmark than anything but if the Innes, Henderson or Brander names ring a Morrison bell/link with anyone, please let me know.

p.s. to Morrison_searcher:   May I echo flst's welcome to rootschat?  It's a great site and if there is anything or anyone that can assist you, this is certainly the place to come to find it
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland