Author Topic: Frustrated Sutherland Seeks Sutherlands  (Read 87488 times)

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
Re: Frustrated Sutherland Seeks Sutherlands
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 24 July 07 11:54 BST (UK) »
Think there is a cemetery at Dunbeath too (which would be for Knockally, Balnabruich, etc)

but found this one the web:

"There used to be a cemetery desides it as the name of the adjacent farm - Ballachly - indicates. Some time after 1860 a cloudburst caused a wall of water to come down the Houstry Burn and washed out a number of coffins from the cemetery. Afterwards the farmer ploughed up the land of the cemetery bringing ill luck on himself and his family. The exact site is not clear today."

But there is a new one, and if Neil Sutherland died in 1865 it may be post this.

There is also a link to the Caithness Memorial Inscriptions (pre 1855)

http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~mwi/caithnes.txt

Which might help  :)

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline ostler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 24 July 07 12:05 BST (UK) »
Cheers!

I'm definitely planning on going to Badbea, especially as I've just read a book about a Sutherland family moving to New Zealand in the 1840s from there. My parents went there last year I think and really want me to go, and I will. ;)
All countries/counties
Kinnes, Ostler (and all variations!!)

Scotland
Caithness: Sutherland and Gunn (Latheron), Mowat (Olrig, Canisbay)
Fife: Fleming, Harley, Small, Laing, Malcolm
Angus/Forfarshire: Small, Laing (Dundee)
Perthshire: Runciman, Whittet, Paul, Small
Midlothian: Dudgeon, Sanderson (Tranent)

England
Gloucestershire: Edkins, Trowton/Troughton
Warwickshire: Bromley, Vickers, Hydon

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 24 July 07 12:16 BST (UK) »
You lucky thing, you are going to have a fabulous time. Badbea is shocking and amazing at the same time, it made me cry, and I didn't even have direct family that actually lived there like you do...but it really shows the Scottish Spirit.

See you Friday Bryce

Jenny

PS either bring a laptop or heaps of loose paper to NRH and all the family info you can ;)
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline ostler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 24 July 07 12:32 BST (UK) »
Would it be better to book NRH to guarantee a place? Also apparently there are works on the train line between here and Edinburgh so I'll need to make sure I can definitely make it there in time! I'll find out ASAP.
All countries/counties

Scotland

England

Offline ostler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 24 July 07 12:33 BST (UK) »
Also should I bring a packed lunch? ;D
All countries/counties

Scotland

England

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 24 July 07 12:41 BST (UK) »
You can bring a packed lunch if you want, but I usually pop out to Burger King for a quick bite and run back in (don't want to waste any time now)  ;D

If the train is going to be a problem do you want to drive to Morningside and leave your car there (free parking) and we can catch the bus in together?

You can ring NRH and see if there are places left to book but I am assuming they are all booked out (they usually are this close to the date), I went last week and got in at 1pm for a half day and there were heaps of spaces left, so I don't think it will be a problem, they leave a stack of places for people to just turn up on the day. If you do book tho can you book places that we can use a laptop at (preferrably the South Search Room)

Jenny

Offline ostler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 24 July 07 12:45 BST (UK) »
I'm getting the train because my dad's using the car. ::)
All countries/counties

Scotland

England

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 24 July 07 12:52 BST (UK) »
My thursday thing just got changed to Wednesday so is Thursday better?? Otherwise I'll wait to hear what you say about the train, but really only one of us needs to be there early to get in the line :)

Jenny

Offline ostler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 24 July 07 12:55 BST (UK) »
I work on Thursdays. :( Not sure about the train yet, but it looks like I need to get a train, then a bus, then a train, so... erm... grrr. >:(
All countries/counties

Scotland

England