Author Topic: Frustrated Sutherland Seeks Sutherlands  (Read 87842 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Frustrated Sutherland Seeks Sutherlands
« Reply #207 on: Monday 29 March 21 10:52 BST (UK) »
Sutherlands can certainly be a challenge to pin down....give me a unique last name any day  ;)
Er ..... According to Personal Names in Scotland, published by the Registrar General for Scotland, Clark was the 14th commonest surname in the ScottishBMD indexes in 1990 (903 occurrences), and Sutherland was 56th (436 occurrences) ....

I'll get my coat .... :)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: Monday 29 March 21 11:14 BST (UK) »
Ha ha Forfarian...indeed! I reckon those Sutherlands all live in and around Caithness though ;D

My Clarks aren't Scottish, but the name is probably even more common in good ol' England where they hail from! Don't even get me started on them  ::)

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: Monday 29 March 21 12:07 BST (UK) »
Ha ha Forfarian...indeed! I reckon those Sutherlands all live in and around Caithness though ;D
Yes, it was the 7th commonest surname in Highland Region, but only 106 of the 436 were in Highland.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: Monday 29 March 21 12:20 BST (UK) »
That's because they have all moved  ;D

Wonder what the stats are for the 19th Century??
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: Monday 29 March 21 13:06 BST (UK) »
There is or was a web site where you could plot the distribution of surnames from the 1881 census, but I haven't been able to find it today.

Offline floridasun29

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: Sunday 22 January 23 14:28 GMT (UK) »
What if all you know is that your ancestor was recruited by the British to sail to America to fight in the Revolutionary War? He survived and decided to stay in America.
Alexander Sutherland b. 1743 Caithness Scotland, not sure how I know that
d 1843 Grayson County VA.
I do not know his parents info or if it is true he was from Caithness.
Last name of Sutherland but supposedly born in Caithness.