Author Topic: Anthony PERCIVAL- Appleby in Westmoreland  (Read 6405 times)

Offline Teessearcher

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anthony PERCIVAL- Appleby in Westmoreland
« on: Tuesday 28 November 06 13:24 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out more about Anthony Percival who was my 2 x Gt Grandfather.  He was born and lived most of his life in Dufton or Bongate, Appleby in Westmoreland (1800 - 1861)
He appears to have been the black sheep of the family and a very colourful character!
His father [3 x Gt Grandfather John] was quite well off and owned the Queens Head at Howgate Foot plus farms around Applebly and Bongate.  However in John's will he left an annuity to Anthony from the farm given to his younger brother James Percival.  The other brothers all got either a farm or property and even his sisters were left property.
My Gt Grandfather James was born illegitimate to Anthony and Margaret Pattison at Asby in 1824 and was for a time called James Pattison but took on the name James Percival and he is also recognised in John Percival's will.
I found Anthony in the 1841 census in Wakefield House of Correction where he was serving a year for cattle stealing, however there are no full records of this and the crime was not committed in the Wakefield area, has anyone come across Anthony in quarter Sessions in another part of the country?
Before his imprisonment he appears to have been able to write his name but after the year in Wakefield he only signs with a X.

Anthony married Ann Cockburn in 1839 (a month after his father John died) at St Michaels in Bongate and had 3 daughters.

He died in 1861 when he fell off a horse and cart and was run over.

Just wondered if anyone had come across him??
 :)
Westmoreland: Percival, Pattinson, Dover
Durham/North Yorks: Percival, Parmley
N.Yorks: Smith, Bell, Clark, Orton, Scott, Percival,
Redfern, Redfearn, Redford, Watt

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Anthony Percival - Appleby in Westmoreland
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 December 06 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Have not come across Anthony but I do have a book of directory entries for Appleby that mentions John as a publican in 1829 and Robert - a farmer at Hoff in 1849-51.
Also John a chandler in 1791, John a Carrier in 1791, John a blacksmith of Dufton in 1805, John Schoolmaster, Grammar, in 1855 and John a Tailor of 5 High Wiend 1885-94 and Doomgate 1884.

They may be relatives.
Andrea

Offline Teessearcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Anthony Percival - Appleby in Westmoreland
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 December 06 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrea

Many thanks for your reply, John the publican was Anthony's father he was landlord of a pub called the Queens Head at Howgate Foot in Appleby (which is now a hairdressers!!).  Not sure about Robert yet but think he is related as my Percivals also farmed at Hoff.  I too have the directory entries for Appleby.  Anthony seems to have been the black sheep of the family, which makes him very interesting!  :)

Offline kevin4d

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Anthony PERCIVAL- Appleby in Westmoreland
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 February 10 13:19 GMT (UK) »
I think I may have a connection. The next owner of the Queen's Head was John Rudd who was according to census returns married to Mary who I believe was born Mary Percival about 1805. John Rudd was the father of a descendant of mine.

Where did you obtain information about will as it may help me tie up to other information ?

Kevin

Offline Teessearcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 February 10 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kevin

At long last a connection to my family  ;D  Yes according to my research Mary did marry John Rudd and there is a great deal of detail in the will as to what was actually left to them by John Percival including the pub with out houses, etc.

I found the will via The National Archives as it was registered in Canterbury.  John Percival died in 1839 and owned property in York Street Marylebone as well as his Westmorland propertys (he had inherited the London house from his daughter Ann who died in 1834.

Incidentaly John Percival was married to Barbara Rudd born in Warcop 1731 daughter of Thomas Rudd and his wife Barbara (Park) both born in Warcop is this any connection as well?

Liz

Offline kevin4d

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 February 10 19:03 GMT (UK) »
We had John Percival married to Barbara Rudd also. We found it last week in Kendal Archives.

The connection comes from John Rudd ( do you have any details of his marriages ) who fathered a child to Jane Todd ( nee Wyllie ) according to the bastardy bond in 1837  The child was named John Todd and is the great grandad of my wife Jackie.

If you have the will or reference we would be obliged if you could pass it on.

If you require any information which may help you let us know and we will pass it on if we have it.

Jackie and Kevin

Offline kevin4d

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 February 10 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Liz

Did not do a lot of researcher on John Percival but we assumed he married Barbara Rudd (born 1757 in Warcop) the aunt of John Rudd  ( born 1763 ) and sister of Edward ( born 1763 ).

The parents being John and Jane Rudd ( nee Taylor ).

I do not wish to doubt your info as we were more interested in John Rudd at the time of our visit, but if John Percival was born same time as his wife 1731 and died 1839 he would have been 108 years old or have I misunderstood your information ?

We will have to recheck ours on our next visit

Jackie and Kevin

Offline Teessearcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 February 10 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jackie and Kevin

In my excitement at finding someone at long last researching the same family I may have misled you

My 3 x Gt Grandfather was John Percival he was born 1764 Battlebarrow Appleby in Westmorland and died in 1839 Bongate Appleby. he married a Jane Yates who died 1811 but I haven't been able to trace her family yet!

His Parents were John Percival born 1723,  died 1805 in Appleby and Barbara Rudd born 1731 Warcop and died 1812 Appleby.

It was the John Percival who died in 1839 who was the publican at Queens Head Howgate Foot.

Most of my orginal information came from a magnificent gravestone in St Laurence churchyard Appleby.  Buried there are John and Barbara plus John and Jane with various offspring. 

I have photos of  the gravestone and full transcription plus electronic copy of the will which you are welcome to have but I am not sure how to send a private email on rootschat

Liz

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 28 February 10 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi
If you click on the green scroll under the name then you can send a private message and exchange email adresses that way.
Andrea