Author Topic: Not realy a tec problem,but about excel  (Read 10674 times)

Offline Nadine Moore

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Not realy a tec problem,but about excel
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 29 November 06 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Celia

It is a simple table that I made up for you in word, not excel. You can . as a blank template and just change the headings in the boxes for any other data you need to input.

If there are too many columns hold your mouse above the column and it should be a black arrow, click on the column and either Edit, Cut or Right Click, Cut to remove it.

If you think of each box in the table as a cell in excel, that should help you to do the same in excel. As has been said in previous threads, it is possible to resize excel cells so your data fits. What version of excel are you using?

You'll get there i'm sure. Keep at it.

Dinie
Census information is Crown Copyright - www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
ADAMS - Kent/Sussex, BROOKS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GASCOYNE/GASKINS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GOULD - Derbyshire/Lancashire. HILL - Hampshire/Kent/Lancashire/Limerick. MARK - Buckinghamshire/Cumberland/Lancashire. WILCOX - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. WITTONBROOKES/WITTENBROKE - Northamptonshire/Buckinghamshire. YATES - Canada.

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 29 November 06 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi dine
i never realized you made it especially for me,another big thank you ;) as i said it's brill ;D I will just keep making new pages out so i will allways have them handy.They are so much easer to use than excel

Best wishes Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline Nadine Moore

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 29 November 06 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Celia

If you use word you can make your own.

Along the top menu (File, Edit, View, etc) there should be a Table one.
Click this and (my preference) choose Insert, Table
You then choose how many columns you need, how many rows (my preference is usually just 1 as when you use the Tab key it automatically enters a new row as you need it), fixed column width (the column does not resize) or autofit to contents or window (to contents - my preference).

This then puts a table on the page that you can use as you need.

Don't forget you can change the layout of the page from portrait to landscape using the File, Page Set Up options. Also use Print Preview to check how it will look when printed.

Dinie
Census information is Crown Copyright - www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
ADAMS - Kent/Sussex, BROOKS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GASCOYNE/GASKINS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GOULD - Derbyshire/Lancashire. HILL - Hampshire/Kent/Lancashire/Limerick. MARK - Buckinghamshire/Cumberland/Lancashire. WILCOX - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. WITTONBROOKES/WITTENBROKE - Northamptonshire/Buckinghamshire. YATES - Canada.

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 29 November 06 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Not sure whether this will work, but here's an excel spreadsheet for recording family data.  The columns are:

Surname
Forenames
Born
Died
Where born 1(eg town)
Where born 2 (eg county)
Where died
My Blood no [Ahnentafel number – for direct ancestors]
Related to [My direct ancestor]
their blood  no [My Direct Ancestor’s ahnetafel number]
married  year
married  to
married where
census 1841
census 1851
census 1861
census 1871
census 1881
census 1891
census 1901
Surname
Forenames

If Auto Filter is set to on, you can, from the drop down menu, filter down to direct ancestors (on the my blood number column) or to descendants of a particular ancestor (on the Related to column).

If you ar not familiar with ahnentafel numbers , an explanation can be found here:

http://juliancbaker.rootschat.net/html/ahnentafel_numbers.html

And an example of a chart found here:

http://juliancbaker.rootschat.net/html/new_textual_summares_index_she.htm

Please note, you need to open this file in excel, and then set the column widths - rootschat messageboard will not accept attachments with the extension "xls"

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 27 February 07 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Just to add some more ideas to Julian's example, here's the spreadsheet I use:

Name Explanation   Example(s)
Name-Tag usually first two letters of surname, then first two letters of given name, then birth-year
This tag is used as a prefix for HTML-pages, image names, etc, and for filtering all events for one individual.
It works for me, but may need a re-think if you have thousands of names
maha1889 => maha1889.htm. maha1889-03.jpg
bege18xx, etc
old tagForget this one, I started off with a different schema, but I prefer the one I am now using                 
First name(s)                 
Surname        e.g. Hardy, (Hardy) = married Hardy, maiden name unknown
Sort-Surname   Used for sortinge.g (Hardy) gets sorted as Hardy
Also useful to put any variant surname in "Surname" but the 'standard' one here to sort on
Event         Birth, Marrige, Death, Census, Directory entry               
Year                                        
Private      p = private (CD only), w=web (public)                
Cf.            "Confirmed"      Y, N, ?(= don't know)
Rel.         Relationship    dm = direct maternal line
dp = direct paternal line
R = otherwise related,
'blank' = not known whether related or not
Date         freestyle (anything I know about the date)      1900, August 1901, 3.10.1773, etc
Sort date       YYYY-MM-DD, used for sorting 1780-11-26, 1900-00-00 (month and day unknown)
Age             as given by that source                    
Address                                     
Place                                        
Comments:                                     
Source                                      

I find that one row/line per "event" makes more lines, but you can add more details about each event.

For instance, sometimes it's interesting to look at the ages given on various census or marriage certs or baptisms etc

Or the addresses at different times,
or ...  etc.

For an example, I have filtered all entries for Fanny Hardy (hafa1835).
Interesting how her age varies between census and baptism records

Bob

Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Sherwood

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 28 August 07 00:49 BST (UK) »
Hi,

As an example of what you can do in Excel, here are some BMD certificates where I copied the layout from originals so that I could make my own soft copies.

I read that we can't attach xls files so I've changed the file extension to txt.  Hopefully if you change it back to xls it should open in Excel.

Sherwood.
CRESSWELL/CRESWELL (Nottingham), MARTIN (Nottingham), ARGENT (Derby), DEXTER (Derby), BAINES (Uppingham), NUTT (Uppingham), LENAGHAN/LENAGAN/LANEHEN, etc (Ireland and Stamford), WINTERS (Nottingham), SLANEY (Nottingham), BULL (Yorkshire), MITCHELL (Yorkshire)

Any Census image extracts and information in transcriptions are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PurpleOwl333

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 17 March 18 00:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

As an example of what you can do in Excel, here are some BMD certificates where I copied the layout from originals so that I could make my own soft copies.

I read that we can't attach xls files so I've changed the file extension to txt.  Hopefully if you change it back to xls it should open in Excel.

Sherwood.

It does indeed open in Excel. Thanks for this  ;D