Author Topic: STAPLEFORD Help needed please  (Read 4903 times)

Offline LAH

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
STAPLEFORD Help needed please
« on: Thursday 30 November 06 04:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I need some help with my Hannah please.
I have this much, from family records.
Hannah SCATTERGOOD b. 24 Jun 1773 m. John BARRATT in Parish of Phillmore,Ilkeston, Derby, England.
their issues are
John Barratt b. 1794 Nottingham
Dr.Joseph Barratt b. 1796
Hannah (Barratt) b. 1799 m. Thomas Bramley
Ann Barratt b. 1802 m. Anthony Johnson
Mary Barratt b. 1805 m. Joseph Chadborn
Sarah Barratt b. 1807
William Scattergood Barratt b. 1810 Stapleford * my line
Augusta Flavius Barratt b. 1813
Rufus Barratt b. 1819 Nottingham

The 2 elder sons moved to NY one John came as a merchant, and Joseph who was a Dr and Professor latter in Middletown, Middlesex Co. Connectcut , the rest of the family moved to the USA in 1829, minus the one daughter Hannah (Barratt)Bramley who stayed in Stapleford,England.

Hannah SCATTERGOOD (my 3rd great grandmother) had a brother named John SCATTERGOOD, who is talked about in family letters from John Barratt to his son's John/ Joseph, as your Uncle John SCATTERGOOD . Along with a female cousin to the Barratt children, first name is not legiable to me..but starts I think with an (H)last name of SCATTERGOOD who married it apears to be Luke Lipson (not with her familys approval it seems, according to the letter). I am at this point unsure if this female SCATTERGOOD, is the daughter of the Brother John.
Here is what it says
"" Your cousin H-- SCATTERGOOD & Luke Lipson (Tipson?) were married about last May very very much against the wishes of both her Father and Mother and Friends they now live between old Radford and Notthm but are expected to come to Stanton soon ""
There is also a mention of a Richd SCATTERGOOD, but not a connection other then he worked on one of John SCATTERGOODS lace or twine machines. the letter was wrote in Oct of 1823, sent from John Sr. Barratt in Stapleford England to his son in New York.

I am working on transcribing these letters, some are fadeing fast. There is a total of 224 letters in all.All hard to read, when the writting is in old english style. So, it is a very slow process.
I will post what I know on the SCATTERGOOD line , that I find as I get it.
But, For now I am looking for the parents to
Hannah SCATTERGOOD and her brother John SCATTERGOOD.

Does anyone have a clue to whom they could be ?

thanks for what ever can be provided
LAH
HUDSON,- BARRATT- BLYTHE - SCOTT- SMITH Yorkshire> Ontario, Canada > Michigan USA

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: STAPLEFORD Help needed please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 November 06 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Since Hannah married John in Ilkeston Derbyshire in 1793 (traditionally marriages take place in the woman's parish - Phillimore is the name of a marriage index not a parish) and a possible for your Scattergood marriage to Luke was also in Derbyshire

HANNAH SCATTERGOOD 
LUKE SISSON 
Marriage:  11 APR 1823   Stanton By Dale, Derbyshire

Two ss written in C19th handwriting will often appear as looking like a backward f and an s.

1851 census HO107 2141 folio 194
East Street Stapleford  Nottinghamshire 
Luke Sisson  58  Ilkeston, Derbyshire,  Head  Widower Lace maker
Walter Sisson 27 Radford, Nottinghamshire, Son  Iron miner
Ann Sisson  22 Stanton By Dale, Derbyshire, Daughter  House servant
Hannah Sisson 13  Stanton By Dale, Derbyshire, Daughter 
William Sisson  2  Stanton By Dale, Derbyshire,  Grandson 

1841 census HO107 190/10 folio 16 page 1
Stanton By Dale  Derbyshire
Luke Sisson 45 Derbyshire Grocer
Hannah Sisson 40 Derbyshire
Walter Sisson 15 Not born Derbyshire 
Samuel Sisson 14  Derbyshire
Ann Sisson 13 Derbyshire
Sally Sisson 9 Derbyshire
Hannah Sisson 3 Derbyshire
John Sisson 3mths  Derbyshire

Adult ages on the 1841 census are rounded down to the nearest 5.

I think you should be looking for both Hannah's origins in Derbyshire not Nottinghamshire. Ilkeston parish registers don't seem to have much coverage on the IGI.

Ilkeston parish registers have been transcribed.

http://www.ilkestonhistory.org.uk/familyhistory%20publications.htm

I would also check with Derbyshire Record Office whether they hold any Scattergood wills for the Ilkeston area.

This initially looked like a possible John Scattergood on censuses, a brother for Hannah 1773.

1841 census HO107 189/3 folio 14 page 22
East Street Ilkeston Derbyshire
John Scatergood 62 Lacemaker Derbyshire
Elizabeth Scatergood 50 Derbyshire

1851 census HO107 2126 folio 292
South Street Ilkeston  Derbyshire   
John Scattergood 71 West Hallam, Derbyshire, Head Married Head Lace maker
Elizabeth Scattergood 65  Ilkeston, Derbyshire, Wife House work

JNO. SCATTERGOOD 
Christening:  24 OCT 1779   West Hallam, Derbyshire
Father:  WM. SCATTERGOOD 
Mother:  AMY 

WM. SCATTERGOOD 
Christening:  09 NOV 1776   West Hallam, Derbyshire
Father:  WM. SCATTERGOOD 

but there are no other Scattergood baptisms in West Hallam and the marriage of William and Amy on Boyds marriage index looks too early for Hannah's birth.

1775  SCATTERGOOD  WM  CHAMBERS  AMY  HALLAM, WEST  DERBYSHIRE

There were 34 Scattergoods in Ilkeston on the 1841 census so you will have to be careful who is who and of course Ilkeston is as yet not a proven birthplace for either of the two Hannahs.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LAH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 November 06 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Valda,

Bless you for your fast answers..
With the Hannah Scattergood to Luke Sisson.. that has to be a perfect match. The year is correct for sure.
I also know with some of the interesting things left us, that the BARRATT family were in Derbyshire, Ilkeston  at some point in life.
Thanks also for the heads up on how I wrote Phillimore , in my own file. I did correct that. I have the marriage on a chart written by Dr. Joseph Barratt. And found record of it in the index, some time back. I made the mistake of entering in Phillimore with out the word 'index' next to it.
Not knowing the area at all later in time- it looked good to go for me..haaaa- I see now it was not.
So thanks for that correction .

John Barratt born at Annesley, Nottingham, England on February 17, 1771 parents Joseph and Sarah Barratt. ( I need more on them also)
m. Hannah Scattergood born June 24th, 1773, married by the Rev. Wm. Allen.
John Barratt removed with his Parents to Kirkly (Kirkby ?) Nuttshire when five weeks old. 
Was educated by the Rev. Wm. Cursham of Sutton.

that is what is wrote on the chart from Dr. Joe

I am new to the 'old 19th C.' style writtings.. and sure hope that by the time all 224 letters are done. I am more familiar with that and family. With out a trillion mistakes ! however - I doubt that will happen.
There are tons of little town/burgs in England names mentioned in them that I am not use to. Also friends/ neighbors are mentioned in the letters.

I do try to go slow with the reading of them.. but, mercy - its exciting .. heck its better then ice cream !! ;D
Thanks again for the heads up.. information, corrections, etc.
hugs your way,
LAH

HUDSON,- BARRATT- BLYTHE - SCOTT- SMITH Yorkshire> Ontario, Canada > Michigan USA

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 November 06 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi LAH

The following baptisms are on the Nottm Fam Hist Soc Baptism CD

John Barrat to Joseph and Sarah  17 3 1771 Annesley
Joseph                                           8 11 1769
John                                              8 11 1763

I canot find a marriage for Joseph Bar(r)at(t) to a Sarah.

There are plenty of Scattergoods mentioned in Stapleford. If you need look ups for them just say which ones.

I'm not sure how well you know the geography but the places mentioned are all close to the Notts/Derbys border.

Nottinghamshire: Stapleford, Annesley, Kirkby

Derbyshire: Ilkeston, Stanton by Dale, West Hallam

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LAH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 December 06 02:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jane,

Thanks very much for the information on the Baptism's for the children, especially John in 1771.
This confirms what was wrote on the family chart that has been carried down the lines, from Dr. Joe Barratt.
Also , again thanks for the help with where the line is between- Nottingham and Derbyshire, and the little burgs close to them. I am not well versed in that area at all. Just learning as I go here.

I did locate one more cousin, name in the Scattergood line... Ruth Scattergood is her name, however this letter of March 28, 1824 , does not say - who's child she was.. but in  1824 , she was working one of the lace or twine machines. I do not know if that helps or not for a guess on her age.

I do not know where Joseph and Sarah BARRATT were married at, however I am getting clues that lead me to think perhaps a place named Alfreton, Derby England - also Sarah's maiden perhaps is Clark.
Not sure if that will help at all either.
Thanks for what ever you can do with this information.
Every answer no matter , is a gain.. even a fail , is a gain.. in not having to wonder was it here or there .. I am sure you know what I mean with that.

Hugs your way !
LAH

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 December 06 06:41 GMT (UK) »
From Boyds marriage index

1757  BARRAT  JOS  CLARK  SARAH  ALFRETON  DERBYSHIRE 

MARY BARRAT 
Christening:  24 AUG 1760   Alfreton, Derby
Father:  JOSEPH BARRAT 
Mother:  SARAH 

Regards

Valda

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LAH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 December 06 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello Valda,

You are a gem !
Thanks for the marriage and birth index record.
It is just great, to gain like this so fast, I do not know how you do it.. but Bless you for doing it.

I also have to say- I made  :-[ error, with the "Ruth Scattergood" it was not " Ruth", it was a bad reading on my part.. the name once I put my glasses on,  8) is Richard. Richd is how it is wrote in the letter.
So the cousin that ran the lace or twine machine was
"Richard Scattergood" not female at all .

Again, Thank You for helping with this.. its so nice of you to use your time.. just to tag along the road with me here.
hugs,
LAH

Offline Pip48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 July 11 16:51 BST (UK) »
Hi LAH,

I've only recently discovered these postings so I hope you're still out there and interested.

We believe that the Mary Barratt, bap 1760 in Alfreton, Derby, mentioned by Valda, is our 4x Great Grandmother, making us related to your Dr Joe. She would have married William Bowmar in 1779 in Kirkby in Ashfield, Nottinghamshire, which is where you state the family moved to, from Annesley, in 1771 when Dr Joe's father was five weeks old.

The only other option is a Mary Barratt born in Annesley about 1752, but she had her youngest child in 1803 when she would have been 50 which is not very likely.

We are wondering whether there is any mention of relatives with the surname Bowmar or Bowman in any of the documents you have?

Regards

Pip

Offline Pip48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 July 11 17:14 BST (UK) »
I forgot to mention in my message that we also have a large family for John Barratt's brother Joseph, bap 1769 in Annesley to Joseph Barratt and Sarah (Clark). He married Alice Henshaw in Weston upon Trent, Derbyshire in 1789, but was of Kirkby (in Ashfield) and was under 21 as his father, Joseph senior gave consent to the marriage. He and Alice had 13 children, all bap at Kirkby.

Bye