Author Topic: Halligan,Shannon,Moran,Tarpey Part I  (Read 17202 times)

Offline a40a40

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Halligan,Shannon,Moran,Tarpey Part I
« Reply #9 on: Friday 28 August 09 08:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Eileen58
Glad you've got in touch. Interesting info you have supplied. What address did John Horan live at?
I found some graves after a relative told me where they were.
I am going for another look round the cemetery soon with a lady who knows where a lot of the family graves are. If you give me some more names, chances are that she will know where they are buried. Look forward to hearing from you. Do you live in Bacup?

Offline eileen58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 28 August 09 11:30 BST (UK) »

Hi,
Thanks for replying so quickly!
This is what I have for addresses:
My gt Grandparents John Moran 24 and Mary Ann McManus 21 married 1896 at St Marys RC Church. John lived at 3 Sandhole Row Stacksteads and was a stone-quarry man his Father was Thomas. Mary Ann lived at 7 Allen Street Bacup and she was a cotton operative her Father was John. Their witnesses were John McManus (I wondered if this was more likely to be her brother rather than Father) and Catherine McHugh.
When my Grandmother was born in 1897 they lived at 4 Slackbottom Bacup.
By the time of the 1901 census the family lived in Newcastle upon Tyne which is where my Grandmother lived all her life and her children (my Dad was her youngest son) grew up.
As her Godfather was named as Patrick Moran I got looking for him there is a Patrick and a Thomas Moran on the 1891 census living in 8 Taylor Terrace I also have a wedding cert for Patrick Moran 1893 with him living in 14 Taylorholme Stacksteads. In fact there are several Morans and McManus living in the same area over ther 1891 and 1901 census.
When I checked my certs I found that my Nanas sister Catherine was born Bacup 26th Oct 1898 and died 21st December 1899, their brother John died in newcastle, so I was hoping Catherine might have a grave, also Patrick Moran John's brother had a wife also called Catherine who died in Bacup November 1895. It would be amazing if anyone knew anything of these graves or about the family.

As for me I live in Portsmouth Hampshire, my Dad left Newcastle during the war to join the Navy and when he met my Mum came down here to live. His name was O'Brien which was my maiden name I initially set out to trace this but have had very little luck so I turned to the Moran line instead . Where do you live? Hope this all makes sense and hopefully you recognise some of these names and dates!
     Eileen

Offline a40a40

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 29 August 09 04:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Eileen
These addresses are all new to me! I'll ask my Mum if she knows anything about John and Mary etc
My ancestor John Moran would only have been 21 in 1896 (born 12th Dec 1875) whereas yours is 24. There were so many Horans and Morans we have to be careful we don't get them mixed up! I don't think we had a Patrick or Thomas Moran in our branch but I'll try to get more info.
I live in Bacup! I'll see if the addresses you gave still exist and I could send you some photos if they do (but Taylor Holme/ Terrace are long gone).
I wonder why your folks moved to Newcastle?

Offline eileen58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 29 August 09 13:44 BST (UK) »
Hi,
any info would be greatfully received!!
Don't you sometimes wish our relatives were a little more imaginitive with their choice of names to help us out in later years when we were trying to track them down!! It would be great to think they were linked somewhere along the line and I assume family would have come to Bacup to join family. Certainly the Shannon name is another link although for me it is with my McManus side. I have no idea why my Moran's moved up to Newcastle as far as I know they had no family there, possibly it was work that took them there they certainly had very hard lives there no better I would have thought than in Bacup.
It must be helpful to be still living in the same place as your ancestors and if you should come up with anything in the course of your research I would love to hear it, if anyone did know of a location for Catherine's burial that would be great as I have promised myself that one day I will have a visit to Bacup and Newcastle and I would like to visit and photo these old family graves just to say that we haven't forgotton all about them,
                                            Eileen

Offline a40a40

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 29 August 09 18:44 BST (UK) »
I'll see what I can come up with. So where's the Shannon link in your family?

Offline eileen58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 30 August 09 20:15 BST (UK) »
My gt grandmother was Mary-Ann McManus I believe her Mother to be Ellen Shannon
                                                     Eileen

Offline dc51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 11 June 10 00:26 BST (UK) »
Hi,
This is a long shot, But my GG grandmother was Mary Holligan, she married Patrick Murtagh and lived in Naas around 1865. Thats as much as I have on her so far. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
DC

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 13 April 19 17:25 BST (UK) »
This thread is on the Kildare board, Most Irish information contained here seems to be from Mayo.  ???There is another thread about the same group of families from Mayo which has a new post today. Should this thread be moved to Mayo?
Cowban