Author Topic: Mitchell in Dumbarton  (Read 3461 times)

Offline anorexic tribble

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mitchell in Dumbarton
« on: Saturday 02 December 06 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Is anyone out there researching MITCHELL families from Dumbarton?

I am trying to locate a Peter Hutcheson MITCHELL. In a Liverpool census its says that he was born in 1842 in Scotland. Nice and helpful!!! I believe that I have found a link with a Mitchell family living in Dumbarton, purely by using naming conventions, which are very good with this family. However the OPR entry show a person listed as Peter Ogilvie Mitchell instead.

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mitchell in Dumbarton
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 December 06 23:57 GMT (UK) »
hi, was your peter the son of david and jane? if so he was aged 9 and living in the high street in Dumbarton on the 1851 census.

BIG BIg Welcome to ROOTSCHAT
helping wherever possible

Offline anorexic tribble

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mitchell in Dumbarton
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 December 06 00:34 GMT (UK) »
The evidence that I have is from his marriage certificate that list the father as David MITCHELL, occupation weaver.

Peter Hutcheson MITCHELL has a fourth son called Charles Ogilvie MITCHELL. Using the usual Scottish naming convention, this should make Peter's oldest brother also a Charles Ogilvie MITCHELL.

The family that you suggested is indeed the one that interest me. This is David Mitchell married to Jane Wilson Ogilvie with children Peter and Charles Ogilvie MITCHELL.

However OPR list Peter's middle name as Ogilvie and not Hutcheson.

David Mitchell was born in 1791 with parents Peter MITCHELL and Jean HUTCHISON (slightly different spelling, but not unusual in this business).