Author Topic: lost in canadian genealogy sites  (Read 13822 times)

Offline jeffster

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: lost in canadian genealogy sites
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 03 December 06 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello Joe, Tommy

It looks like a match from my perspective.  In that ourroots site it did say they stayed in Medora (sp?) for awhile which is in the Souris district.  I think it is 70-75 years....or proof of death.  Did Donald have any viable information for you?  Probably was shocked to get a phone call from Scotland I bet.

For timeline sake I would inquire at the Saskarchvies for the homestead information.  it would say when they came to Saskatchewan to Gull Lake.

jeff

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 03 December 06 23:20 GMT (UK) »
hi jeff and tom, thank you both for your posts.

yes that is them on the 1911 census as i have dates of birth here in scotland that correspond with the dates given, thank you so much for that tom. i see that his daughter mary is missing from the family home, she was born jan 1895 so would have been out living on her own means by than or was married who knows!

yes jeff donald was wonderful to say the least, he was so bubbly and really enjoyed the contact. he is a direct decendant from francis and is the only one still living.

i have this thing about writing about living people on the thread so i will leave it for now

Joe
helping wherever possible

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 03 December 06 23:37 GMT (UK) »
hi tom, would it be too much to ask if you can find thomas on the 1911, he was the brother of frank and was born 1881

many thanks again to everyone

Joe

Offline renfrewboy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 04 March 07 21:03 GMT (UK) »
I would be a decendant of Francis Mcgourlick, My grandmother is Mary Possehl (McGourlick) from Gull Lake Saskatchewan.

I now reside in Calgary Alberta

What would our family coat of arms be and the kilt pattern be.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 14 March 07 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Joe...I'll bring this to the surface again...Hopefully you'll get notification! :D

TOM!   :)we miss you on the Canada board, where have you been? J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline M.T.H

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 16 March 07 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joe,

There is an entry on the online passenger lists at Findmypast (pay to view) that might be of interest to you;

F Mcgourlick, age 32, Departure year 1905, sailing from Liverpool to Canada (St John N.B)

Right name,right year, right age....... :)

http://www.findmypast.com  in the passenger List Persons search

I can't see Agnes though :-\

Regards,

Mick :)
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

British Military History

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 16 March 07 21:28 GMT (UK) »
thanks for that mick, at present i cannot afford to access that link, but yes it sounds like him, i believe that he went across first and then agnes and the children came over at a later date and then even later was his brother thomas, through the lovely people here on rootschat i have even managed to find the family on the 1911 census.

thank you again my friend

Joe

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 16 March 07 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joe,

With the info Micky found you can then go to the Canada Archives site and put in the year of arrive, departure.  There are only 20 ships that arrived in 1905, but you can view the passenger lists for free.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/019os

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline SarahSarah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 04:15 BST (UK) »
Hi! ... The Gull Lake McGourlick's are my family...they actually got the homestead or "free land" from the original colonializations of the prairie provinces...to originally try to to obtain more Canadian rights my ancestor McGourlick married a Cree woman in Saskatchewan in the 1700's.....I have a very old picture if you're interested. BTW, the McGourlick's started spelling the name this way over a hundred years ago. The other half of the family spells it different...I'll try to find out what it is again.
My grandfather, boxer, Bill (William) ...and I only remember my uncle Donald who is still alive in BC. My Dad's cousin inherited the Gull lake homestead. We are also written and featured in a Settler's of Saskatchewan book as well...pictures and all.