Author Topic: How do we know if we have a genuine Mary Shelley family album?  (Read 6993 times)

Offline 01debbie

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • My Dear Nan, Sybil Edith Grace Boxall 1909-1992
    • View Profile
How do we know if we have a genuine Mary Shelley family album?
« on: Sunday 03 December 06 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Some time ago, my daughter picked up a Victorian photo album at a car boot sale.  Not any old album, this one has a reference & picture of Mary Shelley's Grandfather.  The pictures all have names pencilled in Victorian writing such as 'Aunt Williams nee White'   I'm assuming it may have belonged to a descendant of Mary's.  Family names include Appleton & Ling.  At a later date someone has added notes in biro.

So, my question is, how do we go about finding out if we have something genuine or not?  I have no idea where to start with this one &  know that one of you Rootschatters will have the answer.  ;)

Apologies if I've posted to the wrong board.

Debbie
BOXALL    Portchester & Southampton<br />CLASBY    Southampton<br />HELLYER   Hound, Netley & Southampton<br />MIDLANE   Isle Of Wight<br />PHILLIPS   Botley & Southampton<br />PRICE       Isle Of Wight<br />VERONELLI/VEARONELLY/VERONELLY & variants ANY<br />WAREN     London<br />WINTER    S.E. London

Offline Koromo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: How do we know if we have a genuine Mary Shelley family album?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 December 06 17:17 GMT (UK) »

Hi

If you mean THE Mary Shelley, wife of Percy Bysshe, you could check out the RootsWeb family trees and see if you can find any names from your album. There are a few of them there, eg.

http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=jcyr5&id=I10796

Cheers
Koromo
:)
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lewis: Llanfair Kilgeddin | Abergavenny | NZ
Stallworthy: Bucks. | Samoa | NZ
Brothers: Nottingham | NZ
Darling: Dunbar | Tahiti
Keat: St Minver | NZ
Bowles: Deal | NZ
Coaney: Bucks.
Jones: Brecon

Offline 01debbie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 December 06 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Koroma  :)

Yes, I mean THE Mary Shelley.   :D

That's a really interesting link, but not a great deal that I can see other than I already know...unless I didn't read it right  :-\

I'll keep looking on there I think  ;)
BOXALL    Portchester & Southampton<br />CLASBY    Southampton<br />HELLYER   Hound, Netley & Southampton<br />MIDLANE   Isle Of Wight<br />PHILLIPS   Botley & Southampton<br />PRICE       Isle Of Wight<br />VERONELLI/VEARONELLY/VERONELLY & variants ANY<br />WAREN     London<br />WINTER    S.E. London

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 December 06 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Mary Wollstonecraft Godwin, the wife of Percy Bysshe Shelley was born in 1797 and had only one surviving child - Percy Florence Shelley who married but had no children.
Mary's grandfathers would have died well before photography was invented.

http://www.thebakken.org/Frankenstein/biographies.htm#Godwin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Shelley

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 01debbie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 December 06 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Valda...I didn't think of that  ;D :D ;D

I have to say though, some of the pics are very early, photographically speaking. 

Thanks for the links, I'll check them out...maybe the later entries were added by someone who thought they were connected  :-\

Debbie

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 December 06 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Debbie - can you scan the photo, or take a digi pic of it?  and post it here?  We can have a look and try to date it  :)  Maybe post any of the other named ones as well. I for one would like to take a look!

Prue  :)

Offline 01debbie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 December 06 19:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Prue,

I'll give it a go, but I want to watch the 1906 casualty that's about to start.  I'll get them done tomorrow, those that I can safely remove anyway.  They're great pictures  ;)

Offline 01debbie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 December 06 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Debbie - can you scan the photo, or take a digi pic of it?  and post it here?  We can have a look and try to date it  :)  Maybe post any of the other named ones as well. I for one would like to take a look!

Prue  :)

Ok, here's my first attempts.  I'm still playing around with the pictures.  Some I can easily remove & others I can't.  The card is the reverse side of the picture of the man in the tall hat.  If anyone is able to give me some idea of date, it would be a big help.  The writing below the man reads ' great Grandfather Abraham Ling'

Of course, I have no idea when the entries were written to even guess at a time when Great Grandfather would've been around.  :(  One thing this book has made me realise is that if I ever leave an album, I'll draw a tree on the inside cover & date my entries.  That should help future generations understand my research!!  :D

Ok, I'll get on with some of the others  ;)

Oh poop...thay came out all pixelised...I'll try again

Offline 01debbie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 December 06 16:04 GMT (UK) »
 >:( PC crashed...  here they are...hopefully  :)