Author Topic: MALLARDS/MCCORMICK/MCCORMACK - BELFAST - 36 CARLISLE ST.  (Read 5788 times)

Offline adrienne1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MALLARDS/MCCORMICK/MCCORMACK - BELFAST - 36 CARLISLE ST.
« on: Monday 04 December 06 15:14 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace my family tree but because my late father's family are unwilling to help I have virtually no information whatsoever.

My grandmother was Jessie MALLARD dob. approx. 1888.  I think she had my father James before her marriage.  I have my father's baptismal certificate from St. Anne's cathedral which shows that he was baptised on 21.8.1907.  Mother given as Jessie and father John.  However I knew my father as James McCORMACK and his mother as Jessie McCORMICK, but it would appear that in the past they were possibly known as McCormick - ?why.  In 1907 they lived at 36 CARLISLE ST. BELFAST.

Jessie was ?caretaker at Melvilles Funeral Directors when it was in TOWNSEND ST.    Could anyone tell me who was living at the above addresses on the dates shown.

Jessie died in her 100th year in ?1988/89.

Offline Baba1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: MALLARDS/MCCORMICK/MCCORMACK - BELFAST - 36 CARLISLE ST.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 December 06 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
The 1892 Belfast Street Directory:
Mallard, Wm (stonecutter) 17 Caroline Street

1909 Belfast Street Directory
McCormick,Kate 70 Carlisle Street

1914 Belfast Street Directory
Mallard,A (painter) 4 Hart Street

Hope this is of some use,
regards,
Briege

Offline adrienne1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 December 06 08:06 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Briege,

Everyone has been so helpful.  I'm really starting to see a pattern of where my family lived.  Would you happen to know the name PURDIE AND MALLARD.  I am told they were the biggest stonemasonary company in Ireland.  They apparently stopped trading in the 1980s.  Do you know the name at all please.  They were based near St. Anne's Cathedral apparently.

Also do you happen to know the name DOREEN FEE, I'm not sure if she is married or not.  She was my cousin who we fostered in the1950s.  She lived 144 Urney Street, but may have moved to 130 Urney St.

Best wishes.

Adrienne

Offline Baba1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 December 06 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Adrienne,
Sorry, don't have any information on the Purdie question. I did a quick check in the 1960 Belfast Street Directory and at number 130 Urney Street there is a Samuel Fee (labourer) listed as the occupant. He is at that address (up to and including 1965) The next entry for 1966 lists number 130 Urney Street as "Vacant"
Regards,
Briege

Offline adrienne1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 December 06 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Briege, sorry for the delay in answering.

Offline T.A.W.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 May 12 04:11 BST (UK) »
Dear Adrienne,  this is the first time I have posted a message on RootsChat & I see your last message was many years ago - so this may not reach you. ???
I am in touch with many of my 1st, 2nd and 3rd cousins and one of them is the granddaughter of Agnes Mallard, who was a daughter of Samuel Mallard and Agnes Johnson of Belfast (Samuel was the brother of your Jessie I believe) .
Agnes Mallard only just died in 2008 at the age of 100 - they seemed to be a very long-lived group.   
I live on the West coast of Canada and next week I am flying to eastern Canada to meet many cousins including Agnes' grandaughter.  Then in June we will be in England to visit other relations, as well as my own daughter who is living there now.
Please email me and we can see if I have any further info that may be of use to you. 

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 May 12 08:10 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. Unfortunately Adrienne hasn't been online since 2006 so there may not be a reply to your message.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline loneygrandchild

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 August 14 02:06 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace my family tree but because my late father's family are unwilling to help I have virtually no information whatsoever.

My grandmother was Jessie MALLARD dob. approx. 1888.  I think she had my father James before her marriage.  I have my father's baptismal certificate from St. Anne's cathedral which shows that he was baptised on 21.8.1907.  Mother given as Jessie and father John.  However I knew my father as James McCORMACK and his mother as Jessie McCORMICK, but it would appear that in the past they were possibly known as McCormick - ?why.  In 1907 they lived at 36 CARLISLE ST. BELFAST.

Jessie was ?caretaker at Melvilles Funeral Directors when it was in TOWNSEND ST.    Could anyone tell me who was living at the above addresses on the dates shown.

Jessie died in her 100th year in ?1988/89.

Hi, I have burial info in 1918 for a James McCormick of Carlisle Street.
Others in grave are Daniel, James. Thomas, Christopher & Margaret.

LGC