Author Topic: Early emigrant?  (Read 8916 times)

Offline Tuscany

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Early emigrant?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 12 December 06 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Trish

Still after Jemima.

I've found the children of Jemima and Henry and some of their spouses,deaths etc., but I cannot find any reord of the ship they sailed on.  I've been through all the sites you posted and any records I have come across.  Do you have any other ideas please?
TUBBS: Fair Oak, Hants.  Woodlands, Horton, Wimborne, Dorset.<br />OLIVER: Chilton Candover, Basingstoke, Bishopstoke,  Fair Oak, Woolston, Hants.<br />RUFFELL: Bighton, Alresford area, Hants.<br />MAIDMENT: Horton, Dorset.  MACKENZIE Bishopstoke, Hants.  BARNES, Fisherton Delamare, Wilts.

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 12 December 06 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tuscany

As mentioned by Prue - there are other NSW records that are not online - and your immigrants may well be in those lists - there are also many immigrants that sadly, we never find shipping lists for.  Online lists are being updated all the time so keeping your eye on the NSW archives could help

http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/the_state_archives_945.asp
http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/archives_in_brief_1_365.asp
Until 1854, many unassisted passengers (particularly steerage passengers) were not listed individually on a passenger list. Newspapers for this period often reported a ship's arrival and these may contain a list of passengers. The State Library NSW holds copies of newspapers.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tuscany

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 12 December 06 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Trish,

This is one of those that is proving difficult to let go.  I just have the urge to find the ship but if you say some are unrecorded I may have to.   I also want to try and find out whether they had any children before they emigrated.

Very grateful, Take care.
TUBBS: Fair Oak, Hants.  Woodlands, Horton, Wimborne, Dorset.<br />OLIVER: Chilton Candover, Basingstoke, Bishopstoke,  Fair Oak, Woolston, Hants.<br />RUFFELL: Bighton, Alresford area, Hants.<br />MAIDMENT: Horton, Dorset.  MACKENZIE Bishopstoke, Hants.  BARNES, Fisherton Delamare, Wilts.

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 12 December 06 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Always keep it on "the back burner" - one day you may find someone who visits the NSW achives - or you may visit yourself  8) or the ship you want may just get transcribed. Obviously a shipping list would help with children born in UK & a death certificate could narrow the date range. If they bought/were granted land in NSW the details of same sometimes included date of arrival/shipping information (this was how I found one of my immigrants)

Trish

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 12 December 06 20:16 GMT (UK) »
I still think that if you haven't already got it, you should get a copy (or a transcription) of Henry ROURKE's death certificate.  Hopefully, as Trish says, you will get Jemima as the informant of the death, and will therefore get some good info about how long they had been in which colonies (e.g. they may have lived in Victoria before coming to NSW), his parents (if she knew them), any children, etc. etc.

Then you would hopefully have a more realistic starting point to go looking for immigrant ships  :)

Prue

Offline Tuscany

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 12 December 06 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Okay, I'll go through Trish's posts and find the site to get the death certificate.

I've been trawling through every list of names I can find, and nothing, so I must give in and get the paper work.

Many thanks for your help.

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 12 December 06 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Much as I hate encouraging (or suggesting) that people spend money (my Scottish roots   8)  8)  ) - I do agree with Prue. From the index, the father is listed as John, but his mother is missing - so presumably not known. Jemima would, however, know when/where they married, names of all the children and when they came to Australia - so it should hopefully answer a few queries.

However, no guarantee of content is ever given when purchasing a cert or transcription.  >:(

Trish

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 13 December 06 21:51 GMT (UK) »
hello  there Tuscanny

thought  I  would  also  add  this  link  in  to  you

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~ahgw/nfhs/index.html

the Historical/geneagoly society  has  extensive  holdings  etc

and might be  worth a  look  at  for  you

regards jenn

When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline Cazay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 14 December 06 01:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tuscany   ;D

The Maitland Family History Circle has quite a few entries for Rourke in their online listings, just click on Maitland Information at the bottom of the page.

http://www.rootsweb.com/~ausmfhc/index2.html

Cazay   :)

Essex; Livermore, Barker  Norfolk; Wood, Lack, Spurgeon, Long Wiltshire; Ricketts, Sealey, Dew  Lincs; Drage  Cumberland; McNicol, Bowman  Lancashire; Brogden, Davis