Author Topic: McCance family - County Down  (Read 21080 times)

Offline thaulsterscot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McCance family - County Down
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 23 October 10 15:43 BST (UK) »
Hi there, My name is Paddy McAvoy, I live just outside Greyabbey, and my Greatgrand parents were John and Ellen McAvoy or McIlboy Pronounced
 Muckleboy, as it was then. They lived on Mid Island ,where my Grandfather was born, I'll try and post a of the house, and help you with your search if I can
 Regards  Paddy

Offline thaulsterscot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 24 October 10 18:45 BST (UK) »
House on Mid Island

Offline dunlin1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 25 October 10 13:04 BST (UK) »
Paddy,
It's me John McAvoy (alias dunlin1).  Have you done much by way of looking back beyond John and Ellen McIlboy?  I have only recently started to look at our ancestors and John Caughey has supplied me with A lot of interesting leads which I will be happy to share with you.  Our Gt grandfather John McIlboy married Ellen McCance on 26 July 1883.  This was his second marriage.  He married married Agnes Close on 3 February 1876.  I am assuming she died.  They had one child Lizzie who married David Greer on 14 November 1899 at St Marks COI Newtownards.  They moved to America around the early 1900s as I have some postcards which they sent home to the Islands.  As you probably know the marriage to Ellen McCance produced 4 offspring - our grandfathers William and Patrick and Hugh and Alberta.  Hope this is of interest.

John

Offline Richy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 19 June 15 00:15 BST (UK) »
Hi - I am new to the forum  - - can anyone suggest possible relatives for John McCance born 22/01/1860   - my Great Grandfather -  census says he was born in County Down. He
married Hannah Neen (born 25/02/1859) in Cumberland, England    03/05/1932.
John died there in 1900.

In the John McCance Family Bible a Frank James Cairns  is listed -  born 10/07/1881. Frank married Henrietta Fletcher .... I think is says “Cannon married” on 01/04/1907
Not sure what the link is to the McCance family but he is included on the family page.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 19 June 15 09:05 BST (UK) »
Birth certificate should list parents- Frank James Cairns born July/Sept. 1881 Cockermouth district
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2XJK-MR6
Marriage: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2DDN-LDN

John's marriage certificate should list father's name and occupation and it's possible that one or both of the witnesses are related.

1881 census- https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XQST-3Q7
death (1900): https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2J56-KY3
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 19 June 15 09:41 BST (UK) »
Frank Cairns is with a McCance family in the Cockermouth 1891 census, recorded as a nephew. Head of family is a John McCance, born Ireland. By 1901, John is dead and Frank is still with the family, but noted as boarder.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Richy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 19 June 15 09:57 BST (UK) »
Many thanks fro those replies. Appreciated.

John McCance born 1860 Co Down according to his census record - I do have a marriage certificate for him and Hannah Neen - and his father is shown on that as John McCance too.

So I am looking for a John McCance being born in County Down in 1860 whose father is registered as John McCance. So far not been successful finding an online source at all.

Offline Lukey

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 28 March 21 19:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Richy I've just joined up on here when I read your post.  Ive been looking for the same connection  John McCance born 1860 lived in Clifton.  I'm just down the road in Whitehaven. He was my 2nd Great Grandfather. It seems I got to the same place as you.  I was wondering if have you got any further