Author Topic: James Dawes, was he a convict?  (Read 5161 times)

Offline Maleny Genealogy Group

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Dawes, was he a convict?
« on: Thursday 07 December 06 08:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,
 This is my first posting.
I was hoping that a few minds might be able to sort out all these James Dawes.

Is James Dawes, (born Norfolk UK) who married Mary Ann Bottom, (born Lincolnshire UK)at Sutton Forest, New South Wales, Australia, in April, 1851, the same James Dawes who arrived as a convict in Sydney, Australia, on  the "Asia 9" in 1832?
I will add that on the Marriage entry it said he was  a Free Immigrant.
Could he get away with lying? if he was a freed convict.

Thanks for reading.
Sam :)

Offline Cazay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: James Dawes, was he a convict?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 December 06 08:41 GMT (UK) »
Welcome   :) :D

I often wonder about that myself, the lies, handed down through families, then you find out the TRUTH :o

Is that all you know about James Dawes, the convict?  You would have to look at the 1837 convict muster and find where he was and his age etc.

The shipping indents would also have information on him to compare

I notice that he received a Ticket of Leave Passport in 1845 on recommendation of the Campbelltown  Bench.  Campbelltown is heading down that way towards Sutton Forest, Braidwood, Goulburn.  SAGS has his district as Norwich Norfolk and left his native place unknown, this was for his ticket of leave.

Cazay
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Essex; Livermore, Barker  Norfolk; Wood, Lack, Spurgeon, Long Wiltshire; Ricketts, Sealey, Dew  Lincs; Drage  Cumberland; McNicol, Bowman  Lancashire; Brogden, Davis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 December 06 06:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello Cazay....... I'm not sure if I'm still going round in circles here, but I sent a message a short while ago about my mysterious GGrandfather James Dawes....Did you receive it???

Offline Cazay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 December 06 08:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sam

With regard to the information in your first post, do you know how old the convict James Dawes is compared to your James Dawes?

Cazay
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Essex; Livermore, Barker  Norfolk; Wood, Lack, Spurgeon, Long Wiltshire; Ricketts, Sealey, Dew  Lincs; Drage  Cumberland; McNicol, Bowman  Lancashire; Brogden, Davis

Offline EDO

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 December 06 03:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello Members,

This may help [or, even confuse].

Apprehended convict absconders in New South Wales 1831,
as recorded in Sydney newspapers.

Ref. 08    DAWES      James      "Minerva"

http://www.hotkey.net.au/~jwilliams4/scons31e.htm
jfawcett[at]austarnet.com.au     Please replace [at] with @
1813  The first local medical student, James Dawes, was apprenticed to William Redfern. Dawes died the following year.
http://www.aams.org.au/contents.php?subdir=library/history/funding_prof_med_au/&filename=1788to1900

Regards

EDO

Offline CuriousDiana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 December 06 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Have a look at www.cooma.nsw.gov.au/monaropioneers/bottom/bottom-w.htm
for the answer.
Mary Ann Bottom, according to Monaro Pioneers married James Dawes 21.4.1851 in Church of England, Sutton Forest, NSW. He was son of Charles Dawes and Catherine. He was b. abt. 1804 in England, died 31.12.1877 in Burly Jacky, Cowra, NSW, buried 1.1.1878 in Burly Jacky. Mary Ann later married Alfred Green 21.8.1886.
According to info from Samuel Dawes, James Dawes was a convict, arr Port Jackson on "Asia 1" on 13.2.1832. He had a transportation for life sentence, but received a pardon in 1847.  See the website for detail.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 December 06 05:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello....Cazay..

Been out of circulation for a couple of days.... The silly season you know... plus  It is supposed to be our summer here, but it's not like that all the time... Had two good thunderstorms in the last two days, and today have been out to someone's 60th birthday party.  It's windy and wet.  Have not yet got all my James Dawes convict info together for you... Am getting a completely new computer system some time this week.... More fun and games with that... so stick with me please..

Sam