Author Topic: Annie McLaughlin Buncrana  (Read 69605 times)

Offline 20 STONE NED

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Annie McLaughlin Buncrana
« Reply #63 on: Saturday 25 July 15 16:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks did it give the parents names for George or Catherine in the marriage detail . Ian still looking a. Tie to Mary (Potts) McLaughlin in Fallask .

Ned

Offline little annie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Annie McLaughlin (Mcloughlin) & James Harkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Saturday 25 July 15 16:51 BST (UK) »
Hello Ned no it did not !  I got the record off the national library ireland site there is more writing but cannot make out what it says? 
          Little annie

McCallion ,Harkin,McLaughlin, Doherty,(Donegal Derry) McDaid (Donegal /Derry) Foote,Wade, Cogan/Goggin swiney sweeney ,O'Connor/Connor cork/abbeyfeale Limerick.

Offline Gary Pott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Monday 19 October 15 21:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Little Anne,
there are still McDaids in Tirk, I will see if I can get any info.
I believe I now own the farm in Fallask, unfortunately the old house is now in a bad state of repair, My father Paddy McLaughlin (Pott) inherited the farm from an aunt, again I will find out more.
The picture below is my father outside the house in Fallask.

Gary

Offline little annie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 09:43 BST (UK) »
Hello Gary it's great news to know the farm still in the family !! Just wondering where the name Potts come from ?
McCallion ,Harkin,McLaughlin, Doherty,(Donegal Derry) McDaid (Donegal /Derry) Foote,Wade, Cogan/Goggin swiney sweeney ,O'Connor/Connor cork/abbeyfeale Limerick.

Offline Gary Pott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 20:13 BST (UK) »
there is a number of stories, one is to do with the making of a famine pot, which would tie in with the nickname cooper. That tends to be the official line, it's the easiest way to explain to people not from the area why everyone refers to me as Pott!!!
I also noticed Ballymagan being mentioned, on the other side of Falask hill is the other Pott farm where my father was born, the postal address on this is Ballynakeeloge, Ballymagan. Ballymagan was the local post office.
I will dig out some family history to see what I can find.
If you are on Facebook look up the Inishowen Heritage page, some very knowledgeable folks there.

Offline little annie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 20:46 BST (UK) »
I had nearly given up on finding anyone alive connected to Sarah/sara!! Did find a distant cousin in the USA.
Little annie

Offline big pat on

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Sunday 25 October 15 17:06 GMT (UK) »
big pat on,
My great granny was mc laughlin[potts] of fallask.Interested in gary's post about
the potmaking and coopers.James the Cooper had a wee garage in buncrana one time
My uncles [harkin-meendoran] said he was a relation. Maybe this is the connection.
Pat

Offline little annie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Sunday 25 October 15 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Big Pat
Your right on the connections the coopers married the potts Mclaughlin!!  Sarah sister married the Harkins from meendoran. Now my question is James the son or grand son of James & Sarah Mclaughlin? . As mom used to say that they we're harkins on mclaughlin side as well but did not know much more than that, 
                                                                                                                                                                        Little annie

Offline little annie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Monday 14 December 15 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Charles Mclaughlin fallask!  Married Ellen?  Died greenock Scotland maybe connection?
                                                                                                                                                 Little annie