Author Topic: 1891/1901 Census - DILLEY  (Read 10768 times)

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
Re: Cheshunt (Park) - Dilley 1891/1901 census
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 09 December 06 01:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol,

I have access to many databases.

Think you can put a link on here ( I put my website up often enough!!) - but send me a personal Message if you prefer.

I have been to some IOM websites and also somebody in Canada has other details (forgotten his name) - have left going further back as toooooo many of the same name in the same area!!

Keith

P.S. Thanks for the offer of a look up - would be great if she was mentioned! ;)
See - you scratch my back - I scratch yours - told you this was a great site!!  ;) :D

Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline jukebox

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 09 December 06 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Dear Keith

Manx Genealogy Message Index can be found on

http://www.isle-of-man.com/cgi-bin/interests/genealogy/bulletin/index.pl?....

Copied that from my favourites toolbar, doesn't look as if it will work, you could try pasting it into yout browser - but otherwise just try isle-of-man.com and navigate through the site from there.

I think you mean Brian Lawson from Canada, he has a site of his own on which he has a lot of information, he pointed me to his site for the burial index where I found G G Grandfather's death (need a death cert to confirm it though).

I really must do some housework today, I spent all day and half the night on my computer yesterday.

Speak to you soon

Thanks again

Carol
Jury: Rodgerson: Fisher: Dilley: Adams: Ritson: Riding: Hayes: Bilsborrow: Birkett: Smith: Quayle: Tomlinson

Offline Keith Bateman

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 09 December 06 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol,

I spent all day and half the night on my computer yesterday.

Well - what's new  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Thanks for the link - I must have been there before  - as it said welcome back!! ;)

Yes that's the man Brian Lawson - gave me some details.

Now we have sorted out hubby's side - when do "we" start on yours.

What part of Lancashire are you from - my mother was born in Stretford - me just south in Hale, Cheshire.

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline jukebox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 09 December 06 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Keith,

Another morning gone on the computer, I have been looking at your website - great pictures, I don't have too many of my lot.  My mother died when I was 34, and before she died she got the family pics out and asked me to take those I wanted, mostly with me on (she did the same with my sister and brother).  I took a few but felt that my dad would want them after she was gone - turned out he didn't!! and what was left when he died went to my younger sister who holds on to everything. 

I was interested in seeing you had Partington in your family, my husbands father was married twice and his first wife was called Partington - Maggie I think - she died just before Christmas 1935 I think.  Maggie was from Askam in Furness, she had two children with my father in law, Evelyn (B about 1927/8 died 1983) and Bill (b 1929)  I do have the info but in paper form - my computer crashed last year and I lost all my family history stuff, I've got paper records but never got round to putting it back on my computer.  I am lazy about backing up to disc, shouldn't be I know, but except for the family history stuff there wasn't anything that was that important (except for all my daughters wedding pictures that people had taken and loaned to me to copy - I have done those again though and they are safely on disc now.)

I have an old uncle who is 93 and I have asked my sister to please pass his photos on to me when he dies, he has some fabulous pictures but I don't like to ask him if I can borrow some to copy - they get a bit funny about lending things out.  He and his wife lived with my grandmother when they married so he also has all her pictures, etc. 

By the way, re the Frith collection, I have a picture that I have copied from one of his postcards (sshh) of my husband's grandparents with his cousin walking through Holker/Cark village to the railway station to take her back home to Lancaster after spending time with them at Holker, I haven't seen it on the website though and I always look through any books of his postcard collections when we are in book shops, but not found it.  We have it framed on the wall.

I will try to sort out my info re my family soon, I haven't done too badly with them because I do have the census discs for Lancashire and they are all around there back to 1871, but because I don't have the name indexes it is a case of going through all the returns, which is very time consuming.  My mum's mother was from Lancaster and I went through the whole of Lancaster looking for her without success, I carried on ploughing through the census discs and found her in Wigan!!! - but as you say on your website they moved around to find the work in those days, you can't expect to find them at the same address more than once. 

When you subscribe to Ancestry do you see the actual census sheets?  I like the discs because you can print off the original scanned documents,  I got mine as birthday/anniversary and Christmas presents and bought the LDS 1881 myself - thought that was good value (but it is nice to have the original census sheets.

I do have a lovely photograph of Elizabeth Rose Dilley with her husband and 1st born, Norah Elizabeth Mary, my mother in law taken when her husband got back from WW1, I will copy it and send it to you some time.

I really am going to get off and do some housework now, will continue with your website when I have put the house to rights.

Speak to you again Keith, and I really can't thank you enough for all your information.  When I get it all typed up it will be quite impressive!!

Carol
Jury: Rodgerson: Fisher: Dilley: Adams: Ritson: Riding: Hayes: Bilsborrow: Birkett: Smith: Quayle: Tomlinson

Offline Keith Bateman

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 09 December 06 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol,

No problem with the information - yours was quite easy - and I only got there first, others would have helped in time! ;)

Yes you do see the original census returns - which is why I can understand SOME of the index mistakes on Ancestry! ;) - other parts they have are just plain stupid.
It does help tho when you know the area - which is why I keep my help to those I know (funny with Herts in that I have not been there since a boy, but with my father coming from there I seem to know the streets better than the people that live there now!!)

I have been loaned some of those photos on my website - which has greatly expanded the number of family ones I have - you will have to get your information back onto a PC and then onto a website - you WILL meet other family members that way (even if 3rd cousins twice removed!)
I also like photos of the area my lot lived in - usually got with permission from books and the net - to really visualise the life style of my relations.
I did actually buy some postcards at the last family history meet I went to (some of the IOM!!) - so again they are gradually being put on my site.

That's when I am not talking on here or doing the odd photo restoration for other Rootschatters. I get so much help from RC that I feel I must try and put something back to the site.

Anyway if/when you read this it means housework has finished again!! ;D ;D

If there are any damaged photos put them on the photo restoration board and I, and others will repair and colour them for you - one last plug for my site - have a look here for my poor attempts:
http://batemans-history.rootschat.net/photorestoration.htm

Cheers

Keith

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline jukebox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 09 December 06 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Dear Keith

I have finished my work and hubby is home from his 12 hour shift,

I kept going onto your website between jobs,  reading through  I see your Partingtons lived here in Barrow for some time. My husband served his time in Vickers as a fitter and turner, left in the mid '70s to work on machine maintenance at British Cellophane.  Whilst working there he fitted the big guns on the Sheffield which was lost in the Falklands war, after that he worked on an Argentinian warship (which they didn't bring out in the conflict).

I have an old map of Barrow from the late 1800s I have been searching everywhere for it to try and locate Fredrick St, I asked hubby but he isn't sure where it is either, I know it is somewhere around the town centre - which was the main housing area in those days. Can't find the map - will probably turn it out when I don't want it!!!  I shove stuff all over the place to keep the place tidy and then forget where I put it!  My G Grandfather (born Bury) would have worked in the shipyard in 1909, my grandfather wasn't born till the 1890s. he worked there all his life.  Barrow really was a boom town in those days, sadly (or happily, whichever way you look at it) with disarmament, the town has lost it's main employer.  I think the highest employment in the yard was approx 30,000 (including munitions workers from all over the country) in WW1, it is around 5,000 now.

Also some rels in Keswick, which again is near us - we often go up for a walk or look around the town, or I stand outside climbing shops while my hubby browses.

I replied to your message earlier this afternoon and tried to attach 2 pics, 1 of Haverthwaite to Lakeside steam railway last Xmas (we are going on the Santa Special again next weekend with the grandchildren) and one of Ravenglass & Eskdale miniature railway earlier this summer but when I tried to attach it I didn't get the browse boxes under the attach photo or image option when I clicked onto it.  I have been to the help with posting pictures site and this shows the boxes - do you know what is wrong there?

Carol

Offline Keith Bateman

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 09 December 06 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol,

Would love to see those photos of the railway (my 2nd hobby!!) - if you send then to me by email (address on my site - as best not to put it here due to spammers!)
You can't put photos up on certain boards in case they are census copywrite - most request boards come into this category.

If you (and hubby) look at this page on my site some interesting bits about Barrow Shipyard etc
http://batemans-history.rootschat.net/mcburnieandpartingtons.htm
Small World  ;)

You must have been to my site - trains - maps - places  - ahh well all photos which have the slightest connection to any of my lot are on there!!

It is only this country that makes/sells armaments  and then has to defend itself against same a few years later!! ::)

Had problems updating part of my website software and have been trying to get it to work properly - may have succeeded - so will try and update my site with a few more photos and people later on tonight!

Cheers

Keith

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline jukebox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 10 December 06 00:27 GMT (UK) »
Brought up a map of Barrow on the internet, found Frederick Street - not where I thought it would be, but in my (childhood) neck of the woods, will post it to you on your email address.  My grandmother lived in the Frederick St area until she married, then when I was born both she and my maternal grandparents lived only a couple of streets away from each other - and my parents bought their first home a couple of streets away from them, in the same area but across the main road from Fredrick St,  I didn't realise Barrow was bigger than the area we all lived, went to church and school until I was about 5 and we moved away!!

When we go to Haverthwaite next weekend I will get my hubby to take pictures of the railway site, and their projects, along with the usual Xmas pics we take - they restore old engines and carriages.  I have a book about one of their restoration projects because both my grandfather and uncle drove the train at the iron works tipping slag, the train was sold to the ironworks when it had finished it's working life. I will try to send the pics via your website now.

Offline jukebox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 10 December 06 01:33 GMT (UK) »
Keith,

Hope you got my two messages, with pictures attached, via your email address - let me know.

Tomorrow night, Sunday 9pm, ITV, Victoria Wood is in a programme called 'Housewife 49', which was filmed in Barrow earlier this year, about a Barrow housewife who took part in a national survey about peoples thoughts during the WW2,  but kept writing her diaries for many years after the war.

I think they filmed it all in town centre streets, I don't think that is actually where she lived though -  think it might have been somewhere a bit posher.  Although a lot of the town centre streets have benefited from regeneration grants and have been done up really nice.  The lady's name was Nella Last and her diary was published about 10 years ago, they have just re-printed it (because of the TV programme) and it is on sale again locally.  I am hoping I might get it for Christmas - but I will have to tell the other half, so it won't be a surprise!  Do watch the programme and see a little bit of the town your ancestors lived in.

Carol