Author Topic: whelane/crowley  (Read 10595 times)

Offline STEVE 34

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
whelane/crowley
« on: Saturday 09 December 06 18:55 GMT (UK) »
 Hi all

i am trying to find  my  grandfather Thomas Crowley,s family in Loughnageer  Clongeen Wexford .
  All that i now is that Peter Crowley married a Johanna Whelane (Whelan)and that her mother was Catherine Whelane. Any help would be great.

Steve ??? :(
STEWART(PLYMOUTH)
CROWLEY ( WEXFORD IRELAND)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: whelane/crowley
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 December 06 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve,
what years are you looking at here/
best wishes
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline STEVE 34

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 December 06 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heywood
Peter was born around 1856 and Johanna around  1863 and Catherine around 1829. Any help would be great
                               Steve
STEWART(PLYMOUTH)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 December 06 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello Steve,
I assumed that you didn't have the 1901 census info as you say you only know their names.
This site: http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com
only has the name indexes of the census but shows your family living with Catherine in Loughnageer. There are several Whelanes in Loughnageer but no Crowleys.
As this all seemed familiar I rechecked and found that I have already given you the census info in February
The census- together with the 1911 census is available to order on microfilm through LDS family history centres. It doesn't look as though parish records are there but 'googling' Clongeen shows that you can pay for research (usually costly). http://www.ireland.com/ancestor/fuses/townlands/index.cfm?fuseaction=TownlandsInCivil&civilparishid=2540&civilparish=Clongeen&citycounty=Wexford
This site: http://www.failteromhat.com (Griffiths Valuation section) has info from around 1850s again shows Whelan/es in Loughnageer but no Crowleys.
This site: http://www.from-ireland.net/lewis/wex/clongeen.htm gives a very brief outline of the civil parish of Clongeen in 1830s - not much info but it adds a bit.
You can get BMD certificates for any born after 1865 - again you can usually search the indexes at LDS centres.
This also comes up in a 'google' but there is no year to reference the obituary (obviously recent) http://www.munster-express.ie/obituaries/obit_whelan%20maureen.html but it may give you somewhere to write to to pursue your enquiries.
I do hope this helps
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hatslip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Whelan/Crowley
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 February 07 06:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve,

Whilst I can't connect up your family to mine I am also researching Whelans of Loughnageer and do have quite a few Whelan names. 
I don't see any Crowley in the Griffith's Valuation for Clongeen or Ballylannan civil parishs so perhaps the Crowleys didn't originate there?  I know there are some Crowleys still living within a few miles of Clongeen.

E in Sydney.
Chapman, Jackman, Roche, Whelan, Hanton, Dee, Stafford, Leary, McGrath, Murphy, White, Hayes, Shudall.

Offline STEVE 34

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 February 07 21:38 GMT (UK) »
 Hi E

All  i know is that  my grandfather (Thomas Crowley)was born in1889 in loughnageer.His father was Peter Crowley and he married Johanna Whelane.Johannas mother was Catherine Whelane ,she was a widow in1901.I have now hit a brick wall .So any info you may have would great.

STEVE     
STEWART(PLYMOUTH)

Offline Hatslip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 July 07 06:02 BST (UK) »
Steve,
In June I spoke to a lovely 86 year old man - Kevin Whelan of Loughnageer, and mentioned the Crowley connection.  He said that Johanna Whelan who married Peter Crowley was a sister of Tom Whelan, who was probably a Whelan of Ballycullane rather than a Whelan of Loughnageer (but he wasn't sure). 

He said they had lots of children including Mrs Pat Stafford who has a shop in Ballycullane and her daughter married a son of Kevin (above) whose name I seem to have written down incorrectly so if you'd like it I'll see if I can get it for you.

Hope this helps,
Eileen in Sydney
Chapman, Jackman, Roche, Whelan, Hanton, Dee, Stafford, Leary, McGrath, Murphy, White, Hayes, Shudall.

Offline STEVE 34

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 July 07 21:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Eileen.
Thanks for the reply.Do you know if the shop in Ballycullane run by Margaret Stafford.Margaret (Crowley) Stafford was my grandfathers sister.Any info  you have would be great.
                                  Steve
STEWART(PLYMOUTH)

Offline Hatslip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 06 July 07 01:52 BST (UK) »
No, but if you look in the Irish phone book http://www.eircomphonebook.ie/ you will see two Staffords in Ballycullane.

If you wish to write to them (presuming you live outside Ireland) you can just address it to Mrs. Stafford at the shop in Ballycullane, Co. Wexford and I'm positive it will get there.