Author Topic: footballer  (Read 4677 times)

Offline paulmh

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: footballer
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 27 January 13 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Did anyone find out the answer to this question, was it a United shirt or Wednesday and who was the player?
Name Interests: Holland, Marshall, Townrow, Taylor.

Townrow Family Tree - http://townrowfamilytree.weebly.com
Football Researchers - http://footballresearches.weebly.com/index.html
Sheffield United - www.blades-mad.co.uk

Offline Mercel

• RootsChat Senior
  • John Robert Forster 1892-1913
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 29 January 13 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Did anyone find out the answer to this question, was it a United shirt or Wednesday and who was the player?
Hi Paul, no I still havent found out anything about this person, he still remains a huge mystery in my family tree.
Hepworth - Yorkshire and Durham, <br />Forster, Thompson, Heatherington- Durham, <br />Harkness and Devlin- Glasgow, <br />Bolton and Smiths Sunderland, <br />Galey, Norfolk and Sunderland. <br />Cory - Heacham Norfolk<br />Connelly - Ireland,<br />Carson - Ireland, <br />McKay, Glasgow and Ireland,<br /> Tait,Ireland<br />Turley, Sunderland and Ireland, Devlin Londonderry Ireland, Higgans, londonderry Ireland, Hamilton, Ireland

CENSUS & BMD INFO IS CROWN COPYRIGHT www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline paulmh

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 29 January 13 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul, no I still havent found out anything about this person, he still remains a huge mystery in my family tree.

May I ask as to what research you have done on this player/photgraph? I may be able to help depending on what avenues you have already taken.

Offline Mercel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 30 January 13 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul

I would appreciate any help you can offer on this. I have made enquiries several years ago with Bramhall Lane but didnt seem to get anywhere. I found the photograph with my grandmothers photos before she died. That was in 1975. Once I became interested in researching my family tree I obviously want to know who he is, what relationship (if any he has to me), if he was a professional footballer who did he play for. I havent done a lot of family research for a while as I have been occupied doing other things. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards
Mercel
Hepworth - Yorkshire and Durham, <br />Forster, Thompson, Heatherington- Durham, <br />Harkness and Devlin- Glasgow, <br />Bolton and Smiths Sunderland, <br />Galey, Norfolk and Sunderland. <br />Cory - Heacham Norfolk<br />Connelly - Ireland,<br />Carson - Ireland, <br />McKay, Glasgow and Ireland,<br /> Tait,Ireland<br />Turley, Sunderland and Ireland, Devlin Londonderry Ireland, Higgans, londonderry Ireland, Hamilton, Ireland

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 30 January 13 11:46 GMT (UK) »
The first question should be what year is the picture taken?

rob
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline Mercel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 30 January 13 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rob

Sorry but that is one of the main problems, I cannot tell you what year the photograph was taken, there is nothing on it to tell me, it does give the address of the photographer as being 254 Langsett Road, Sheffield and the photographers shop was called FURNISS MEDALIST

Kind regards

Alyson

Offline Mercel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 30 January 13 14:24 GMT (UK) »
after a little more searching I found the photographer a William T Furniss, he was based here around 1906 time, so presume it was sometime after this. Sorry its vague but that is all i can find at the moment

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 30 January 13 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Which would suggest that it could be either Sheffield Team as the piggies (wednesdays) weren't at Swillsborough at that time
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline paulmh

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 01 February 13 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Which would suggest that it could be either Sheffield Team as the piggies (wednesdays) weren't at Swillsborough at that time

Now you are talking my langauge, I live near the pork rine rust bucket but home is always Bramall Lane! Anyways without proper research I do know that there are some defuct Football Teams from Sheffield who did play in stripes so that could be key. And yes the year could be vital (or maybe not), anyone could have had a picture taken on Lanmgsett Road BUT remember Sheffield Washday, sorry Wednesday origionally played at Olive Grove before moving to Hillsborough around the turn of 1900 , for those who don't know Olive Grove was situated only a stones throw away from Bramall Lane so depending on when the photo was taken could prove important.

Also, he looks aged between 16-18 so although a footballer he may have only been a Reserve or 'A' (youth) player. In there earlier days the Blades reserves were known as Sheffield Strollers whilst the Owls were Wednesday Wanderers.

PM me and I see what I can find out