Author Topic: O'Riordan, Riordan, Donegan, Farrisy, Sexton, Jones  (Read 1762 times)

Offline Ziggs

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
O'Riordan, Riordan, Donegan, Farrisy, Sexton, Jones
« on: Tuesday 16 November 04 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

Ive just started to research my family tree and would be grateful for any help/advice with the listed names in the title!

All are from the Cork city area with the Sextons coming from McRoom. So far I am back to the 1860's.

Offline cathal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: O'Riordan, Riordan, Donegan, Farrisy, Sexton, Jones
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 September 05 18:44 BST (UK) »
Hi
 Just read your web-site re family in Cork.

We have ancestors from Cork named Farasey? sometimes spelt Farrisey.  The family lived in Queenstown - Michael and Bridget, were great/great grandparents. Does this ring any bells!   I would appreciate any information you have on the Farrisey family.

kind regards

Cathal.

Offline Niki

• RootsChat Extra
  • Niki - But a tad older than shown!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 September 05 14:21 BST (UK) »
Having come to a dead end with my own Reardons (shown on England censuses as born in Ireland in 1840s), I have been looking forther back still. I have tried to research the family legend (mentioned in a newspaper clipping some 30 years or so ago) that O'Riordans migrated to France from Cork prior to the French Revolution, and became nobles.

And have found lots of very well-researched work to support the legend (though alas the grounds their chateau stood in is now in the hands of the Rothschilds!!).

The French system did not just ennoble people for a whim. You had to provide proof of nobility as a starting point.

So - does anyone have evidence or proof or even a good guess of the original O'Riordan claim to nobility, apart from what is inherent in the name itself?

Thanks
Names researched include Ball, Bone, Butlin, Bradford, Court, Dimond, Dolling, Glenister, Golden, Janner, Mann, Mason, Pike, Quartermaine, Reardon, Rogers, Scott, Sutherland, Talbot, Ulyet, Wing, Wooder. Also Greenhalf, Marriner (marriage related).

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 October 05 12:18 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I would suggest you look for the Farrisey and variant spellings and the Sextons in the griffith valuation.
See http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths.php

Kate
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Prior,Blyth,Ellis:Halstead, Ramsey Essex
Blyth,Faeres,Smith:Suffolk
Ballard, Driscoll, Costen,Miller:Kent
Driscoll, Ragan: Cork
Miller: Hardwick
Hardy: Burton, Derby, Ruddington

Offline Niki

• RootsChat Extra
  • Niki - But a tad older than shown!
    • View Profile
O'Riordans
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 October 05 15:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks ever so for this Kate - a really useful website. It ties up with some research I have already done here in France.

For the records; the O'Riordans in Nantes & Bordeaux made quite a bit of their money (like most of the businessmen in the area around those days) from the Slave trade. I have some info gleaned from a French doctoral thesis by Patrick Clarke de Dromantin with various Irish-derived names (not just O'Riordans) to support this.

They also served in the Dillon & Walsh regiments.

Regards
Niki
Names researched include Ball, Bone, Butlin, Bradford, Court, Dimond, Dolling, Glenister, Golden, Janner, Mann, Mason, Pike, Quartermaine, Reardon, Rogers, Scott, Sutherland, Talbot, Ulyet, Wing, Wooder. Also Greenhalf, Marriner (marriage related).