Author Topic: HOFF ALSACE - LORRAINE  (Read 2376 times)

Offline J.H

• RootsChat Member
  • family tree
    • View Profile
HOFF ALSACE - LORRAINE
« on: Wednesday 17 November 04 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

We are just beginning a search for my husbands g.g.grandma, Marie Matilda Hoff.

On the 1881 census she was living at 64, Westbourne Terrace. London Middlesex as a governess. It says she was born in Alsace France. She was 27yrs old & unmarried.

On that day she was the head of the household. The family name of the people she worked for was Freshfield.

We think it was a wealthy household as they had a cook, housemaid, under housemaid, nursemaid & coachman not forgetting marie Hoff the governess.

She had a son called Percy who was living in a lodging house at 3 Avenue Terrace Prittlewell Essex. He was 4yrs old.

We believe that she was probably fleeing from the Franco-Prussian war????? During the 1870's there was conflict in the Asace Lorraine region between Germany & France, (Alsace & Lorraine being a region of France). Germany was desperate to invade as they claimed that this region rightly belonged to them. There appeared to be several attempts by the Germans to invade.

Berlin Bob has kindly given me info on Percy, (when & where he was born etc). I am dying to get on & follow that up. Myabe a father will be named on his birth cert???????

If anyone has any info regarding the name Hoff or indeed Freshfield we would be very interested. We would love to hear from any Hoff's out there!!! (connection or not!!).

Thanks & regards JH & CS
tomlinson
bacon
pick
hoff

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: HOFF ALSACE - LORRAINE
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 November 04 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Have you contacted the Hoff one name study? You may be able to give them additional information for their study and they to you!

http://www.one-name.org/cgibin/search.cgi?find=hoff