Author Topic: Hickes from Stone lookup  (Read 10642 times)

Offline talkingdrum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hickes from Stone lookup
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 01 July 10 06:47 BST (UK) »
Hi oneslickshoe

What sort of information are you looking for?  My mother is a Hickes from Sigatoka, the daughter of Frederick, granddaughter of Frederick and great-granddaughter of Edward the Englishman who came to Fiji and married Lucia Buliyaragi the daughter of Tui Matanitobua of Namosi, one of the chiefs who signed the deeds of cession to Great Britian.  I have some of the family tree put together, but I have huge holes in it.  Perhaps we can exchange information?

Swepson - Australia, Huntingdonshire, Bedfordshire
Papworth - Huntingdonshire
Fitzpatrick - Australia, Derravona Co Cavan, Ireland
Hennessey - Mullinahone, Co Tipperary, Ireland
Hickes - Fiji, Cornwall, Glocestershire
Foster - Fiji, Samoa, Germany

Offline oneslickshoe

• RootsChat Extra
  • John Hicks Descendant - South Pacific
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 01 July 10 11:57 BST (UK) »
Hi there!

Thanks so much for your quick response. I am descended from WILLIAM HICKS, who I believe was a sibling of Edward Hicks.

Is your Edward Hicks the same NED (EDWARD) THOMAS HICKS Born 1858, Navua, Fiji? FamilySearch.org records show this Edward Hicks as Fiji born and married to LUISA BULIYARAGI & Father of FREDERICK WILLIAM HICKS. (I shall post the link later if you wish).

Records in history show that my ancestor WILLIAM HICKS was a Fiji half caste that served as Second Mate/Bosun to the notorious Blackbirder/Pirate William "Bully" Hayes aboard the "Leonora." Events recorded show William Hicks arriving and settling in Samoa around 1874.

WILLIAM HICKS married MATELENA VAIOLI of Amaluia (American Samoa) and had a son, JOSEPH WILLIAM HICKS Born Jan 14 1889 (Baptised July 14 1889).

William Hicks' Samoan descendant THOMAS JOHN HICKS Born 1904 in Samoa is my paternal grandfather. He was a sailor like his ancestor William, and chose to remain in Fiji whilst on a stopover. He married MARY BUCKNELL in 1936 and settled in Navutu, Lautoka, thus reconnecting his Fiji Bond/Link. I have no doubts that our branches are related. If you look @ dates, it would make sense that William and Edward were siblings. I could be wrong though.

My goal is to find the origins of the first Hicks lineage in Fiji, I'd be more than delighted if I could go further. Any information you may have to share would be greatly appreciated. Thank you again for responding.

HICKS - Woolwich, Kent - Australia - Fiji - Samoa - New Caledonia.
BUCKNELL - England, Australia, Fiji.
VALENTINE - New York, USA, Fiji.
KING - China, Fiji.

Offline talkingdrum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 July 10 12:59 BST (UK) »
Hi
Our research has some common ground, but where did you get your information on Edward?  He was definately born in Cornwall and not Fiji.  Can you email me directly on

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

I spoke with my mother about the information you gave and I think you might be surprised by what I learned. 
Kath

Offline oneslickshoe

• RootsChat Extra
  • John Hicks Descendant - South Pacific
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 01 July 10 14:23 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My information on Edward was taken from FamilySearch.org (LDS Site) I tried inserting the link in here but doesn't work. I've taken snapshots of the pages and are attaching them in an email to you.

Cheers.
HICKS - Woolwich, Kent - Australia - Fiji - Samoa - New Caledonia.
BUCKNELL - England, Australia, Fiji.
VALENTINE - New York, USA, Fiji.
KING - China, Fiji.

Offline murney

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 16:45 BST (UK) »
Hi talkingdrum

I hope you don't mind me jumping on to this posting, but I noticed that you have Fitzpatricks from Derravona, Co Cavan at the bottom of your posting.  I am doing genealogy research for a friend and one of her mother's cousins was an Austin Fitzpatrick, who lived in Derravona, Co. Cavan.  I believe he was born in the 1920s - does that name ring a bell?

regards

Deirdre

Offline talkingdrum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 16 June 11 06:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Dierdre,

Yes I am aware of an Austin Fitzpatrick from Derravona although he is not from my family, I visited there in 2008 and got some of the census records from there, I will have a look and see if I can find anything on the family for you.  I have a feeling that he might have been part of the Phil of the Pass family but I'm not sure, there are only a couple of Fitzpatrick families left in Derravona, as most have died out, including my family, but I will see what I can dig up for you.

Regards Kath

Offline guntop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 26 September 11 03:30 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have a powder horn from Fiji dated 1883 signed F Hickes and I know he was on Fiji Colonial census at that time and lived in Nadi/Lautoka are in west of Viti Levu. I believe he was son of Edward and Adi Lusia who was herself d/o of Tui Namosi.

Offline guntop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 26 September 11 03:34 BST (UK) »
I have powder horn inscribed F Hickes which I know came from Lautoka/Nadi areas it is dated 1883 and I guess he might well be son of Edward /Adi Lusia.

Offline talkingdrum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 26 September 11 05:12 BST (UK) »
Hi guntop
That would have been my great grandfather Frederick, who was indeed the son of Edward Hickes and Adi Luisa Buliyaragi Matanitobua the daughter of the Tui Namosi.  He lived in Sigatoka which is also on the west side on the Coral Coast but the family also had links with Lautoka. I had the opportunity to meet him when I was 10 years old and holidaying at my Aunts in Fiji.  It is lovely to know that something of his is still exists, thanks for letting me know.  The family recently were invited to Namosi by the current Tui Namosi, where we forged the links between our families again.  We have started a facebook page for the family and I would like to pass on the information that this article exists, would you be ok with that?  Is it possible to get a photo of it?
Regards Kath