Author Topic: Truscott, Whitford, Orchard  (Read 5174 times)

Offline kezza

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Truscott, Whitford, Orchard
« on: Tuesday 24 February 04 05:41 GMT (UK) »
Hitting a brick wall with my Cornish Interests:

I have a James TRUSCOTT who married a Mary Ann WHITFORD in Cornwall.  They later had children christened at Par: Frederick 1856, Elizabeth 1862, David 1864, James Crowle 1865, Ellen Jane 1866.  They migrated to Australia in 1873.   I have not found this family in any on-line Census records.  Have not found marriage for James & Mary Ann or births - I do know that Mary Ann was born about 1835.

Totally unrelated to the above, I am looking for a John ORCHARD born 1798 at Week St Mary.  He ended up in Jersey, Channel Islands marrying a Mary McConkey in 1835 having one child that I know of Joseph Willoughby Orchard in 1836.  He was older than usual for those times when he married Mary so perhaps this was even his second marriage.

I desperately want a new lead on any of the above so please contact me if you've come across any of these names.

Thanks
Kezza, Qld.
England: Truscott, Whitford, Orchard, Jeffrey, Glazebrook, Davis, Cox, Ward, Douglas, Sharpe
Scotland: Thomson, Clark, Sinclair
Ireland: Leonard, Bacom, Sinclair
Jersey: Orchard
South Africa: Thomson, Orchard
Australia: Leonard, Truscott, Douglas, Collins, Johnson

Offline wildkarrde

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re:Truscott, Whitford, Orchard
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 March 04 21:23 GMT (UK) »
hello
I noticed your posting and decided to have a look as my great grandmother was an orchard - as a result I have, to say the least a vast family tree on this line, basically a one name study, but incredibly I havent got this John you are looking for, I do however, have Orchards in week st mary on the tree, so I may be able to help you - could you possibly send some details on what you have to me and I will see if I can help, either way you are welcome to a gedcom of the orchard family that I have - it contains some 2000+ individuals, so it will certainly give you something to do!
         Damien

Offline kezza

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 March 04 00:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for reply, Damien.  I don't know a real lot but here goes:
John Orchard b. 1798. Week, St Mary.
He was a blacksmith & at some stage ended up in Jersey, Channel Islands.
Married Mary McConkey of Scotland at St Helier Parish Church 19.04.1835.
Only know of one child Joseph Willoughby Orchard b. 21.03.1836 in Jersey (actually this is probably my next step to get an actual copy of his birth certificate & perhaps find more details on his parents).
John died 21.08.1855 at Southampton.  He was 57 years old & had suffered bronchitis for 11 years.

John's son Joseph, eventually went to South Africa and there were a few generations there until some ended up in Australia. I know so much about the Orchard's after England but would really like to learn more about my Cornish connection.  As I said not a real lot to go on but thanks for assistance.
England: Truscott, Whitford, Orchard, Jeffrey, Glazebrook, Davis, Cox, Ward, Douglas, Sharpe

Offline Chris in 1066Land

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Forever Searching, Forever Learning"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 March 04 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kezza

You wrote

Only know of one child Joseph Willoughby Orchard b. 21.03.1836 in Jersey (actually this is probably my next step to get an actual copy of his birth certificate & perhaps find more details on his parents).

I am sorry, but registration in the Channel Islands - Jersey began in August 1842 - so unfortunately no birth certificate will be available.
Address is:
Superintendent Registrar, States Office, 10 Royal Square, St. Hellier, Jersey.

Chris in 1066Land
One of Rootschats Founder Members RIP 1942-2021
Living at the Heart of English History in 1066Land. 
www.Rootschat.com/history/hastings

Swarbrooke Family Heritage
https://swarbrooke.co.uk

Own Ancestral Website:    http://maythornemill.webs.com                                          
Monumental Sculptures Website:    http://Tombstones.webs.com

Local History Site: http://zouch.webs.com
Baldslow Local History site
http://web.archive.org/web/20140626153455/http://www

Offline kezza

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 March 04 03:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for address & info.  But how frustrating!

Offline mimmyt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 April 04 02:22 BST (UK) »
I noticed on the forum that you have a gedcom file of 2000+ names of Orchards.

I am looking for Orchards from the Wiltshire, Devon and Oxford area, some of the names are are Henry b. 1838, Wiltshire, Edward b. 1819 Oxford or or Albert b. 1863, Offwell Devon.

Thanks
Albert
Caesar
Brazier
Orchard

Offline france

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Truscott, Whitford, Orchard
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 November 04 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Kezzia

I have a Charlotte Orchard who was a lodger in the home of my g-grandmother in the 1881 census. She was 62 years old and born at Henley Castle, Worcester. She was a widow and an annuitant i.e. she was given a yearly amount  to live on probably paid for by a grateful employer or her former husband's employer!

She was living in Lewisham.

Frances

Offline midwestusa

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 April 05 06:32 BST (UK) »
Hi,

By my name, you can tell that I live in the midwest of the United States.  I couldn't help noticing that you have listed "Bacom" from Ireland.  Any information that you have or could point me to about this family (whether or not from Ireland) would be very much appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Offline kld

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 25 June 05 07:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Midwestusa
I just came across your reply, I was 'kezza' but have been offline for a long period.  I don't know very much about my Bacom's only that:
Elizabeth Bacom was born about 1820 Enniskillan, Fermanagh.  Her mother was Brown and father's occupation was ' inspector '.
Elizabeth married James Henry Leonard at Rossory, Fermanagh in 1841.  They migrated to Australia and had the following children in Melbourne: William Henry 1842, Sarah Ann 1845, Elizabeth Jane 1846, Christopher 1847, Bacom James 1849, Harriett 1851, James Robert 1853, James 1855, Adam 1850 and Herbert 1860.
I'm descended from Herbert who lived in Nth Qld and then South Africa.
Elizabeth Bacom died in Townsville Qld in 1898.
It's not very much to go on but if connected with your Bacom's let me know.
kld