Author Topic: How many years have you been searching for any one person?  (Read 15762 times)

Offline redmr2red

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 65% of all statistics are made up on the spot
    • View Profile
Re: How many years have you been searching for any one person?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 25 December 06 23:28 GMT (UK) »
21 Years.

I began my family tree when a cousin sent my mother her side of her family tree as part of a school assignment, only going back a couple of generations, mostly living.

That started me on mine in 1985.  I have been searching for my paternal Great Grandmother, Ellen Lascelles, since then.  To test later generations, (she didn't want her past discovered) she had changed her name, no marriage so no certificate.  To make it more difficult her "husband" changed his name also.  But she left lots of clues and putting them all together and with a little help ...............

Success ............. just recently (5th Nov 2006) after joining RootsChat and with the help of my new very best friend Dave Francis we found her.   ;D  ;D  ;D

WOOO HOOOO!!!!!!!  Thanks Dave.

Cheers, Kevin

Clarence, England then Australia from 1912.
Copeland, England.
Lascelles / Lovett / Stevens, England.
Langford, England (Reading and Southampton).
Kipp / Rigbye / Randall, Germany then Victoria, Australia from 1849.
Boothman / Clifford / Marsden / Johnston in Australia

Offline Cal241

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • does my butt look big in this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 December 06 23:35 GMT (UK) »
I suppose I have been at this for about 7 years, seriously hunting after my brother persuaded me to get a PC about 5 yeas ago (what do i want one of those for? I remember saying!!!)

Biggest challenge was my g g grandmother Caroline Berenger Cooper, (Prue M will vouch for this) we couldn't find her anywhere, then the name Biggs came up on the death cert of her youngest daughter as mother maiden name Biggs (we thought it was an error) but lo and behold there she was Caroline Berenger Biggs... she was illegitimate and tok her stepfathers name of Cooper later.

There are still loads like my ggg grandparents who i think will always prove elusive

Cal  8)

UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk                Bigg-Sheppey/West Ham<br />Dodd - Cheshire <br />Ingram - Dorset, London, Morlaix, Australia, California<br />Kerfoot - Warrington, Pemberton, St Asaph<br />McKinneley - N Ireland, Liverpool <br />Marshall - Midlothian, Cheshire<br />Morrish-Chelsea<br />Shiel - Melrose<br />Woodhall- Liverpool, Shropshire/Staffordshire<br />Dagliesh- Melrose<br />Stevenson - Melrose<br />Smith & Jones! Scotland & Wales

Offline DEEGEE

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 26 December 06 00:02 GMT (UK) »
At the age of three, my unmarried mother gave me to another couple saying she hoped to come back for me sometime. She never did. This was 1937.I stayed with my foster parents untill I married in 1957. I loved my foster parents dearly and never asked them any questions about my real parents.

When all the celebrations were going on for the new Millenium, (2000), I contacted my birth mother and asked her who my father was.She was very nervous but very honest and full of apologies for what she had done. I was very surprised when I was told. Three years later  (2003), My son-in-law got me interested in the family tree. From this I found out my real father had died in 1961,and on making further enquiries, found his grave 1½miles from my house.It was a very emotional moment. He is buried in the same grave as his parents,my Grandparents I have also found out that he never married. My birth mother died in 2005 aged 90 years. DEEGEE.

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 26 December 06 10:45 GMT (UK) »
I have been searching for my ggg grandfather, William Davis, for almost 15 years now. I have him from 1874 to 1900. He just doesn't want to be found. But I will keep digging.

Kath
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 26 December 06 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 26 December 06 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Since 6th June, 2002 when I got the marriage certificate for Catherine Parle and Francis Louis Longford, my grandmother's first husband, who I have never found a death for.  She can't really be a bigamist ... can she?

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,34662.0.html
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 26 December 06 14:40 GMT (UK) »
I've got two bigamists in my tree (or maybe they just forgot they were already married...   :-\

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 26 December 06 14:49 GMT (UK) »
She actually put down that she was a widow, just can't find the evidence to prove it  :-\

Mary
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 26 December 06 14:52 GMT (UK) »
So did mine, but hubby was alive and well! She just moved towns and remarried later.

meles