Author Topic: Alexander Trotter born circa 1799 in Leitrim  (Read 13184 times)

Offline Pom

• RootsChat Extra
  • We are all equal
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Trotter born circa 1799 in Leitrim
« Reply #9 on: Monday 28 November 16 18:21 GMT (UK) »
 :) Hello I was just wondering if any of my Leitrim Trotter's are related to any of your families... I do know they came from Leitrim and traveled to Dunkinfield in England, not sure when though... I do have then on the 1871 Census :
RG10/4084 38 17
Dukinfield, Lancashire
5 Hoolly? Place
Gerrard Trotter, head, 61, Stone Mason
Jane, wife, 57
Dorothy, dau, unm, 31, Frame Tenter
Gerrard, son, 22, Cotton Stripper
Anne Jane, dau, 26, Frame Tenter
Margaret, dau, 18, Frame Tenter
Erwin, son, 16, Piecer
John, son, 5, Piecer
All born Ireland.

Margaret Trotter aged 22yrs m Enoch Beeley aged 21yrs 1877 in Dukinfield, they were my Great Grandparents... thanx for reading  :)
Beeley Corner Deakin Hawtin Hemmings Jubber Maber Manley Pounder Quew Scorer Snowdon Trotter Wood

Offline rayswanson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 28 November 16 23:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi there:

Thanks for your note.

I have Gerrard on my tree as a son of John Trotter (DOB ca 1810) and Maria Unknown, sib of Mary Anne and John.

Gerrard Trotter - Date of Birth
Date of Baptism - 25-Oct-1841
Address - Tullyskreeny - Parish/District - CLOONCLARE CHURCH OF IRELAND
Gender - Male - County - Co. Leitrim
Denomination - Church of Ireland
Father - John Trotter - Mother - Maria Not Recorded

(Tullyskeherny is a townland in Cloonclare Parish near Manorhamilton town).

Gerrard's father John was born ca 1810 (estimate), and, having lived in Tullyskeherny, was a probable son of John 1778-1852 who was married to Mary Ann maiden name unknown, but possibly Johnston because of the name of one of her grandkids.

John may have been a brother to my great great great grandfather James Trotter 1783-1881 who married Sarah Campbell in Manorhamilton. They moved to Ontario, Canada in the 1830s.

You can see there are a lot of probably's, possibly's, mostly based on geography and dates, so these connections are tentative. Due to the lack of records this may be as close as we can get to certainty other than DNA testing.

A number of my close relatives have done DNA tests with Ancestry.com and one way we can check if we're related is for you to do the test. Even better would be an older relative in the line of Gerrard.

If my above connections are correct we're probably 5th cousins or so.

One other thing, I have a marriage record for a Jarrod married to Catherine Henigan in 1864. Jarod and Gerrard were uncommon names back then and probably indicate the name of an ancestor. Not sure how Jarrod and Gerrard might be linked if at all.

Best Regards,

Ray

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 29 November 16 00:05 GMT (UK) »
Jarrod and Catherine had a son John in 1868
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1868/03420/2254608.pdf

I was hopeing to find the John from the 1871 Census but this other John might prove useful some day

Offline rayswanson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 29 November 16 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi there:

Sorry, I have it all wrong by a generation, so disregard my previous post. Your Gerrard, if from Leitrim, may have been a son of John 1778-1852 that I don't have on my tree.

Do you have any records showing he was from Leitrim?

The Gerrard I showed in my previous post could have been a nephew of your Gerrard.

Best,

Ray

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 29 November 16 00:24 GMT (UK) »
There is a will of a Thomas Trotter 1880 from Tullyskerarney, could he be another brother or cousin.
http://census.nationalarchives.ie/search/wr/details.jsp?id=IRE/ORIG/WILL/REG/20178

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Pom

• RootsChat Extra
  • We are all equal
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 03 December 16 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanx  everyone  for  the  info' I will be looking into your replies. ..however  we are having a number   of earthquakes and after shocks here  where I live in NZ so I am having to put research on hold for a while... some repairs  need attending too... All the  best  for Christmas and 2017   :)
Beeley Corner Deakin Hawtin Hemmings Jubber Maber Manley Pounder Quew Scorer Snowdon Trotter Wood

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 03 December 16 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanx  everyone  for  the  info' I will be looking into your replies. ..however  we are having a number   of earthquakes and after shocks here  where I live in NZ so I am having to put research on hold for a while... some repairs  need attending too... All the  best  for Christmas and 2017   :)

All the best!

Stay safe!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline trottersyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 22 July 18 23:28 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have looked in the  1901 census and found my great grandfather Thomas Trotter born 1855. He had 2 sons, William my grandfather aged 6 at the time of the census and Thomas his brother aged 5. They had 3 sisters, Charlotte aged 13, Margaret 8 and Adelaide 3. Their mother was called Jane, possibly nee Jameson due to the fact that there is an aunt named Jameson registered to the same house aged 72.
They lived in the townland of Boihy, in the parish of Drumlease. Other than that I have very little information.
I am in the process of doing the DNA test so am happy to help others of the same name. If you can shed any light on the above please do respond.
Thanks