Author Topic: Most Haunted - Henry Attreal - the wonders of late night TV repeats!  (Read 24376 times)

Offline francesh

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Most Haunted - Henry Attreal - the wonders of late night TV repeats!
« Reply #99 on: Wednesday 31 January 07 00:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi to everyone

Thank you for the time and interest you have shown in Henry, I have been really impressed with the investigating you have done into his life and death. A big thank you to Wendi for visiting the grave and laying flowers. It would have taken me hours and hours to find out this much information on one of my ancestors so I am thrilled to bits with how much I have learned from this. I'm glad I had the photos to share with you all.

I'm wondering why Henry was accorded a funeral with military honours if his death was accidental? I read the report on the inquiry Times '12th August 1910' (a few times actually) the witness states, Sgt Attreal was standing in rear of the breach and Gunner Collins, who was burned and blinded in one eye,  was standing BEHIND the witness when the explosion happened......... so why was this 'witness' not injured?? Also the reports starts off quoting the 'acting bombadier' then changes to the witness said..........so is the witness the acting bombadier or someone else??? I'm sure I will be spending quite some time pondering on what really happened.

I was also wondering what your opinions were about the name of Henrys wife? I saw a few possible names mentioned I would love to add her to my family tree.

Thanks once again from

Fran (Henrys great grand niece)

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Wednesday 31 January 07 00:38 GMT (UK) »

Hi Fran and a very warm welcome to RootsChat !  :) :)

The photos you shared with us are wonderful and thank you .....

maybe if we can get to the bottom of this puzzle ......... Henry will be able to come in from the cold !

I'm ready to start over and see if we can help you with other parts of your tree that are missing ....

( don't know about the rest of them !!  ;D ;D ;D .... like Emma .......... I like to use the Royal "we"  also !!  ;) )

Let's start looking again !!

Annie  :)
Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Wednesday 31 January 07 08:17 GMT (UK) »

Fran, welcome to Rootschat and a very big thank you for sharing the photo's.    I haven't taken part in the search (I'm nowhere near clever enough, I leave it to the more knowledgable persons on RC)  But I've enjoyed it tremendously.

Thank you again.

Barbara                   8)
Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Bert & Ernie...we love you!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Wednesday 31 January 07 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fran...nice to see you!!

(Annie kindly sent me some other Attreal census information in a personal message so remind me if I don't forward it on to you...)

Wrote to the TV company and had a reply back - the standard reply that my email has been forwarded to the relevant team.  Will let you know more if and when I find it out!

Did anyone watch Most Haunted last night?  Alton Towers...has a ghost who clobber people round the head...I never knew that!!  Will miss it for the next three Tuesdays...will have to scour the late night repeats again next year...who knows what will happen then?!

Regards, Emma ;)
~Census Transcriptions, Crown Copyright, National Archives~<br /><br />All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Warner (Essex) Edgley (Suffolk) Blake & Sparrowhawk (Lambeth) Hall & Gibson (Co. Durham) Brown (Yorkshire)

Offline Wendi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Peeking into the past
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Wednesday 31 January 07 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Fran Welcome  :D

Emma stop yourself - well........... thinking about in a year, well maybe !!!

Thank you Fran for joining us, it's so nice to hear from you.  As Annie said if your interested in starting over I guess their marriage certificate would be in order.

It was lovely of you to allow us to see his photo - and that funeral, well what ever the circumstances he certainally had a good send off!

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

SCOTT ~ Monmouthshire & Glamorgan
BUCKLEY ~ Cork & Manchester
FRANKLIN ~ Clerkenwell, London
BRADY ~ Kildare & Manchester
DERICK ~ France
FRIEND ~ Kent & Portsmouth
TYLDESLEY ~ Lancashire

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Thursday 01 February 07 04:26 GMT (UK) »
Wow, just read this thread for the first time...quite the read and very sweet of you all, especially Wendi's gesture of honouring Henry's gravesite!
 It's always amazing to see what rootschatters can do!
Cheers! , J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline dawnwas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Sunday 11 March 07 08:20 GMT (UK) »
A bit late to add to the thread...as usual....interesting subject.
Dawn
arthrell( cannockchase UK to Novascotia )faircloth uk,simmonds birmingham uk,Mason and Rodgers westmidlands uk.

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Bert & Ernie...we love you!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Sunday 11 March 07 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dawn!!

Never too late!!  Have to admit, it is the most interesting thread I've ever been involoved with....and the photos were simply the icing on the cake!

Regards, Emma ;)
~Census Transcriptions, Crown Copyright, National Archives~<br /><br />All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Warner (Essex) Edgley (Suffolk) Blake & Sparrowhawk (Lambeth) Hall & Gibson (Co. Durham) Brown (Yorkshire)

Offline Ninatoo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Sunday 11 March 07 12:18 GMT (UK) »
What a terrific thread and well done to you all.

This episode of Most Haunted was just on Australian pay tv last weekend, and I thoroughly enjoyed it, so was most surprised to see a thread all about Henry here.  Em did you not hear back from the Most Haunted team? 

I remember when they were describing Henry they said he was 'supposed' to be a Sergeant...like they weren't even sure.  So it is great to see all of the confirmation.

And those who watched the show and believe that Henry was hanging around because he was so angry about the accident....I would be too if there were newspaper stories such as those posted here being published that blamed the death on the victim alone!  I can imagine him saying "It wasn't MY fault!!!"  ;D

Amazing photos too..once again, well done everyone!

Nina
CARSON - Glasgow, Ayr and Ireland
CLARK - Dunbarton
CORR - Glasgow and Ireland
COTTERILL - Glasgow and England
CROMBIE - Glasgow, Ayr and Ireland
DOCHERTY - Glasgow
EASTON - Dunbarton, Renfrew and Glasgow
GLANCY - Glasgow and Ireland
GORDON - Glasgow and Ireland
GRANELLI - Glasgow and Italy
LOGAN - Glasgow and Ireland