Author Topic: history of an old cash till- help please !  (Read 6839 times)

Offline wini

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: history of an old cash till- help please !
« Reply #9 on: Friday 29 December 06 10:06 GMT (UK) »
KOROMO,

didn't you used to love these old shops where you could fossick without someone thinking you were going to pinch something.
We had one close by in Oz and it didn't matter what you wanted you could bet you would find it on a shelf there somewhere.
The old gent never quite knew where it was but he did know if he had it.

wini
Gunn, Cree, Reid,McNeice, Munro, McPhee
Jackson, Gillies,Gebbie. McCredie, nicolson, McAskill,
MacKinnon,Morrison,Campbell,

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 29 December 06 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone remember those old department stores with wires going every which way above your heads, connected to a thing like a wooden screw top jar.  The shop assistant put the hand-written bill and your money into it, pulled a spring loaded handle, and it went wheeeeee ... whizz.... and clanged into the cashiers booth, high up in the ceiling of the shop.  She then unscrewed the jar, stamped the bill, put the change in, and whizzed it back to the assistant !   The high-light of one of our shopping trips, aged about 9, was once being allowed to pull the handle and set the thing going !   Beats digital tills (which always run out of till roll as I get to the front of the queue), credit cards (which are out of date) and pin numbers (forgotten) any day !
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wini

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 30 December 06 01:53 GMT (UK) »
Yes Lydart,

I remember the whizzy things.
Telling our age now.
I used to enjoy shopping in those days
Now the crowds pushing and shoving turn me off.
I don't go now unless I'm desperate.

wini
Gunn, Cree, Reid,McNeice, Munro, McPhee
Jackson, Gillies,Gebbie. McCredie, nicolson, McAskill,
MacKinnon,Morrison,Campbell,

Offline gazania

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 30 December 06 03:03 GMT (UK) »
My cousin was on his first day of his first job serving on the counter at the local department store.  The store had one of those overhead wire contraptions that  Lydart describes.

His aunt came in and he rushed to serve her.  He wrapped the parcel with string and brown paper.  Then he noticed that his aunt was stuffing the dangling string attached to the over head contraption, down into her ample bosom.  My cousin being a pimply 15 year old did not know what to do or where to look.  Aunt eventually realised her mistake and there were red faces all around. But she as always laughed off her mistake and made him feel better.

My cousin finally told us this story many years later such was his embarrassment.  Aunt was my mother, who was profoundly deaf and who wore a hearing aid where the ear piece was connected by a cord to the large battery thing which she clipped to her bra.

I miss her laughter.  Gazania

ALDERMAN, Bucks
BELK, Yorkshire, London
CARLING, Bedfordshire
CUNDITH,CUNDILL, Yorkshire, PALIN. Lincolnshire
FOX, Essex; Camberwell Surrey
LANE, Cork IE;Askeaton LIM, Liverpool, Clifton, Bristol
VOLLER, Surrey
WALL Clonlara Co Clare Ireland
WAREHAM, Esher, Surrey; London
WINCH, Surrey

Offline alveleyhistorian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 30 December 06 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
I used to work in a faboulous "are you being served" type of drapers shop. They are having a closing down sale this week - very sad  :'(
I went in there today and bought one of the old tills.
Can anyone help me date such a thing ? It is a wooden drawer - with loveley bell ring. Brass handle and brass fittings on the top for till roll. Anyone any idea of the era of these tills ? The shop opened in the 1920's

Also inside the till was a metal plate, quite heavy,
some sort of stamp with writing in reverse.
If you hold it up to a mirror it reads
" We stock the dorma family range of sheets, pillowcases,cosy sheets, towels and tablecloths.......the name is your guarantee".......

Any help or info on these items would be much appreciated  :) :) :) :)

I have found out about the metal  plates - they are printing plates, from when the shop had large adverts in local newspapers  :)
 I went down to the shop today and watched all the lovely old fittings going into haulage vans.
 Loveley oak and mahogany counters. All the Glass fronted cabinets with pull out drawers that used to keep all the vests etc. It broke my heart seeing everything being taken apart and being put in the vans.
 I managed to pick up a few souvenirs, a bill head, a bill spike and an old reciept book.
It was a bit like losing a close relative - Many moons have passed, and many people are no longer with us, but memories  live on.
God bless "R J George & Jones "

alveleyhistorian

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 30 December 06 16:08 GMT (UK) »
I do hope that lot was going to a good home rather than the skips !

All that mahogany, etc would brighten the year for my son-in-law, who restores furniture, makes 'antique' fire-places, etc., all from re-cycled wood.
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk