Author Topic: Firemen (Firefighters)  (Read 82729 times)

Offline rosebud2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Firemen (Firefighters)
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 05 February 08 04:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi wilkybob
My father Edward Rosebridge was in the NFS and he was killed in West Ham along with a colleague George Cert at a school that had been converted to a station.  I have a couple of copies of newspaper cuttings of the incident with a photo of the coffins and the funeral service programme. If there is anymore information you can get me I would appreciate it, as I live in Qld Australia I can only find out things on the net. I have visited the museum it is very interesting.

Regards Margaret
Rosebridge-Kent, London, Australia.
Mills-Kent
Loring-London
Dowsett-London
Flowers-London
Johnson-Derbyshire, Yorkshire
Booth-Yorkshire
Brome-Essex, London
Morley-Bedfordshire
Smith-Kent
Osborne-Kent

Offline wilkybob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 20 February 08 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret
Sorry I took so long to reply, been of skiing amongst other things, now catching up with things.

My list shows

NFS Fireman George Christian Cert – NFS London
Died 24th August 1944 aged 32. Of 84 Chesterton Terrace, Plaistow.
At the  N.F.S. Station, Abbey Road, London, when station was hit by a German V1 Rocket.
-------------------------------

NFS Fireman Edward Arthur Rosebridge – NFS London
Died 24th August 1944 aged 32. Of 31 Collard Road, Walthamstow.
Injured at Abbey Road AFS Station, when it was hit by a German V1 Rocket. Died same day at Queen Mary's Hospital.
-------------------------------

The names are also listed in a roll of honor in the back of a book called The London Blitz, a Firemans Tale, by Cyril Demarne

Best wishes Bob W
Currently researching the details including Names, Addresses, Date died, Age died, How died, Brigade served and many other details of firefighters that have died as a result of being a firefighter.

Offline wilkybob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 20 February 08 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Many of the names of UK firefighters including the ones above that have died due to sevice can be found at http://www.firefightersmemorial.co.uk/
Currently researching the details including Names, Addresses, Date died, Age died, How died, Brigade served and many other details of firefighters that have died as a result of being a firefighter.

Offline wilkybob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 12 March 08 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi once more Margaret, thank you for the images and other details.
Here is an image taken a book called The London Blitz, a Firemans Tale, by Cyril Demarne, showing your fathers and his colleagues coffins laying in church to enable people to pay their resects.
I've cut it around to make the text at the bottom central.
It looks like this is the same image as printed in the Daily Mirror article you sent me, but in far better than newspaper quality. I've also sent you this image via your email address in larger format than allowed here

Offline Soup

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 01 October 08 12:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Wilkybob

Would you know if there were any photographs published of any of the firemen killed at the Old Palace School, April 1941?

My Gt Uncle was Vernon Joseph Middleditch. After a couple of years of wondering what happened to his wife and very young daughter after his death I am now in contact with his grand-daughter!  ;D

The only thing neither of us have is a photo of him.  :-\

Your help is gratefully appreciated.

Cheers

Offline wilkybob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 01 October 08 12:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Soup
Sorry I have no images of any of the firemen kelled at the Old Palace School, but I'm about to get hold of some old wartime stuff on firemen including some pictures. It might take a few weeks to get through the stuff, but I will look out for anything to do with this incident and get back to you
Bob W

Offline Soup

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 01 October 08 14:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Wilkybob

Thanks for responding so quick!

Never mind re the photos. One may turn up one day.

I have decided to order the book written by Cyril Demarne. (The London Blitz: A Fireman's Tale). Looks like it will be an interesting read from my point of view as the author lived/worked in Poplar.

Cheers

Offline missjayniee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 01 November 08 17:09 GMT (UK) »
I've only just found this thread.  I don't know if you can help but we're stuck on my tree, hubbies great grandad is on his grandads birth cert in 1897 as a brigade fireman we can't find anything on him at all.  His name was Willaim Mytton on birth in 1897 but Frank Mytton on grandads wedding cert[deceased] .  The address for the birth is Aston but they or his wife might just have been staying there.  Seeing your thread i wonder if you might have him in your list of people in brigade that have died please.

Missjayniee

Offline wilkybob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 01 November 08 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi missyjaynee,
I'm afraid my details only cover those that died whilst being a fireman/ firefighter (due to service) and he dosn't appear in my 3,700 names.
If you contact the fire brigade HQ in the area your grandfather served, they may have brigade records of all firefighters that served with them.
London Fire Brigade have a great set of personal records, as do Kent.
Also many brigades have museums where you can also find details.
Just sorry I can't be of more help.
Bob Wilkinson