Author Topic: George Sherwood Hunter (1850 - 1919)  (Read 4013 times)

Offline mrhunts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
George Sherwood Hunter (1850 - 1919)
« on: Thursday 18 November 04 10:58 GMT (UK) »
I am researching George Sherwood Hunter, an artist, and have come up against a brick wall. I have checked the web and have some info, but that is were it ends.

I know he left all his paintings etc. to his two sisters, Margaret (1851 - 1933 m. William Thomson) and Christina (1857 - ? m. W. Sutherland), and his nephew Sherwood, who may have been Margaret's son. GSH also had two brothers, but one was unmarried - so no kids, and the other was my great grandfather and there are no Sherwoods down that branch.

If I can trace Sherwoods family I might be able to get more info on GSH.

Can anybody help?

mrhunts

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
Re: George Sherwood Hunter (1850 - 1919)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 November 04 13:22 GMT (UK) »

Hi MrHunts, you say Sherwood may have been the son of Margaret Thomson nee Hunter is that right ?

First of all you need to confirm Sherwoods name, parents, date of birth and place of birth,  post details on here and we can begin to help you look for him  :)
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline mrhunts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 November 04 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Suey,

George Sherwood Hunter's parents were -
James Hunter b. 1818 or 1898 & Margaret Boddie b. 1819 or 1822 (I have two conflicting sources) Married 13.07.1843 Old Machar, Aberdeen. They had 6 children -
William b. 1844, George Sherwood b. 1846, James b. 1848 (possibly might have died v. young), James b.1850 (my great grand father), Margaret b.1851 m. 1872 and Christina b. 1856 m. 1893

GSH estate was left to his 2 sisters and  a nephew called Sherwood (don't know his surname). would have to find will to sort that out.

Hope this helps

sorry for the delay in repling!

mrhunts

Offline sherwood101

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 June 07 12:38 BST (UK) »
i am a Hunter (middle name Sherwood), son of George Sherwood Hunter (born in the 40's), his father was also George Sherwood Hunter, died when my father was very young (15) married to Charlesina, my grandmother who is still going strong - ish, anything else specifically i can help you with? i have a couple of my great (could be great great, i'm not sure' ???') uncle's paintings, as do my 3 brothers. the paintings were left to my father by his father. hope this helps.

sorry it's been a while since your post, but i've only just come across this site.

sherwood101

Offline mrhunts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 31 August 07 21:10 BST (UK) »
Dear Sherwood 101,

Sorry to take so long in replying. your side of the family are a bit of a mystery. I have on my Family Tree a George Sherwood Hunter, but his father was just Sherwood Hunter (Not GSH, but my tree could be wrong!!). Do you know who his father was (ie. your Great Grand Father). George Sherwood (the artist 1846-1919) was my Great Great Uncle, and his younger brother was my Great Grand Father.

I have a couple of painting by GSH, but have about 150 images I have obtained off the internet plus records of about 900 other paintings he has done.

Look forward to hearing from you.

mrhunts.

Offline Anneeva

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 September 11 16:47 BST (UK) »
George Sherwood Hunter was the brother of Alexander Boddie Hunter, both were sons of James Hunter & Margaret Boddie. George left the house in Newlyn to his nephew (Alexanders son) Sherwood Hunter who was married to Gertrude Elizabeth Gee 1880 - 1937 born in North Walsham, Norfolk, she was my late husbands 1st cousin 1x removed (William James Gee 1917 - 2005. I think Sherwood married again to Charlesina Hurst in Durham 1940 and there was indeed a son George Sherwood Hunter born in Durham 1942 (mothers name Hurst), but Charlesina is listed in the records as being born in 1894 and would have would have been 48 at the time and Sherwood 62.

Offline John Grant

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 March 19 18:12 GMT (UK) »
I do not know if you are still interested but Margaret Hunter was my great grandmother. I believe she married James H Thomson. I believe they had 7 children of which Christina Helena Thomson was one. Christina  Married John Grant my grand father. Just discovered this website and would confirm that I have one of George Sherwood Hunter's Paintings. Formal name "Meditation" I believe but we know it as the Old lady and the cat. I believe the old lady in question was an aunt Kirsty Henderson. 

Offline Barbizon101

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 December 19 01:20 GMT (UK) »
For Hunter family history can suggest https://chrisroughan.webs.com/huntersandboddies.htm
All is laid out. Would like to know about any Hunters who came to Australia.
Also any artist biographical information of Hunters time in Barbizon France May 1889 a month after he married Constance.

Offline Barbizon101

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 24 December 19 02:10 GMT (UK) »
Have copies of both wills ( 1919 ) , George and Constance.
Can forward them on at request.