Author Topic: "Mark All As Read" feature?  (Read 5706 times)

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "Mark All As Read" feature?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 12:48 GMT (UK) »
I use the Unread Posts facility, but sometimes it seems to reset without my permission!  :P

Hello AR

Nice to see you again  :)  :)

My unread post facility, I am sure resets when my log in times out. I'm sure I read somewhere that after no activity for a time(can't remember how long) you are auto logged off - Sometimes I start to answer a query - the phone rings or whatever & its 30 minutes plus before I get back near the computer & my original list is then gone! I think most sites have this type of auto log out - else there would be thousands online all the time.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julian

Of course: you are a gentleman!  :)

Hi Trish - 5 minutes no speak, lol!

You know I wondered about that - although seldom away from the lappie, I do take comfort breaks, lol!

;D ;D

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk <br /><br />~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<br />SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN<br />HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD<br />GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS<br />WIL: WEBB, SALTER<br />RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS<br />GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY<br />MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD<br />SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON<br />IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Its about 3 hours since my last visit and theres 3 pages of 'unread posts'  ... once I've 'speed-read', I would like to reset - perhaps along the lines that AR suggested - such that only newer posts will arrive to populate just 1 page whilst I stay logged in.

I always log out manually, and 12 hours later there can be up to 6 pages of unread posts - over 50% of which are ELLS it seems, scanning and speed reading takes a little time - even on BroadBand, so whilst on the 'last' page, even more new ones are 'pushing-down' the stack !

'Mark-All-as-Read' is a pretty standard feature on other forums I visit - either selectable by forum or the whole board.

Not sure if RC is a tailor-made site or a customised version of an off-the-shelf product which may well have the feature anyway, just not implemented?

Quote from: gadget
I'm just not sure what the fuss is about 

Hardly a fuss Gadget - just 2 or 3 people asking the site administration if something is feasible.

Anyways, as already said if its a low priority or not deemed as required, no big deal

Thanks for listening.  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 14:26 GMT (UK) »
Think your- no big deal is my what's the fuss  :)

Find it strange that you get what you say you do. I've been off over the past 3 months for days at a time because of Broadband problems but have never had the numbers that you refer to and not all that many on the ELS. it doesn't give each reply - just the last and I don't think that there are ever 3 pages of ELS topics active at anyone time  :-\

Gadget

PS - like some of the others - it's when they disappear because of 'time out' or log out that's a bit of a bind - not really though :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Find it strange that you get what you say you do

Would you like a screen capture ?

I've now got 3 pages of 'unread since last visit' - with the oldest:-

Unusual presents  « 1 2 3 4 »
in The EVEN LIGHTER Lighter Side pete edwards 47 479 Today at 10:16:36
by KathMc

The reason that the ELLS % is high is that I dont click on them in the Unread Posts pages, hence they keep the count artificially high until they disparu .....

Anyway, that isnt the point - this thread was addressed to the Site Administrators / Sytem Programmers to ask if the feature was feasible.

Everybody has a view on how to manage keeping current with unread posts. Myself and 2 others - based on previous knowledge of forums - asked a question .... and I guess its been answered.  8)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 14:40 GMT (UK) »
I like the show replies to your posts feature

I am not worried about keeping track of all posts as this is not realistic!
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline tucson mike

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 20:47 GMT (UK) »
I will toss in one other comment. -- RootsChat is now 3 years old, I believe, and approaching 40,000 members. A feature which looked useful when it was begun -- marking individual posts as "New" -- may no longer be useful. It's especially not useful to hundreds of new members with thousands of posts marked "New." So as an alternative to implementing "Mark All As Read", which might require significant programmer and/or computer resources, one might consider just not marking anything "New" anymore, for anyone.

Mike
Ireland:
Down & Antrim: Crilly, Patterson, O'Kane, McGrath
Westmeath & Offaly (Fearboy): Stones & Maguire
Waterford: Anna Cleary, born about 1862, emigrated to US before 1880.
England:
Liverpool: Fogarty & Patterson, 1906.