Author Topic: "Mark All As Read" feature?  (Read 7157 times)

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
Re: "Mark All As Read" feature?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 12:04 GMT (UK) »
To answer your question there is not an option to "Mark all as Read", so anything you have not read will be new to you.
Sarah

Sorry to go on  about this, but I just clicked "Show all unread topics" and got a window which showed I had 2293 pages to work through.  I only wanted to go back a few days!

Producing that "all unread topics" list took about 30 seconds - there were about 200 people "live" on Rootschat when I did that.

A new user doing the same would get a lot more than my 2293 pages - they'd get all 175,000 topics, I assume.

I don't fully understand how message boards and in particular Rootschat work but it strikes me that every time I click "all unread topics", the wee computer gerbils have a lot of running to do round the server.  But if I'd cleared all my unread items, say last weekend, the gerbils would have a lot less work to do (and I'd get my page a lot quicker, and there would be less strain on the system).  :)

I'm therefore adding my voice to those below suggesting inclusion of an additional feature to clear all unread posts.

If such a function isn't possible can we be told so - will stop us banging on about it.   ::)

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Since the boards on RootsChat are not e-mail based, marking all as read might be difficult.

To see all messages that are NEW since the last time I logged on (which may be between 3 and 10 pages for me depending on the frequency of visits and how busy you lot have been  ;D ), I click on the link at the top right hand corner of the screen, under the "Welcome back, Little Nell" message.  There is no way I could ever read all 2155 pages of unread messages!

will stop us banging on about it.

Ah but then, you would probably find something else to bang on about  ;)

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 12:25 GMT (UK) »
I wholeheartedly agree with Nell here. In fact I sometimes get a bit peeved, when I'm on dial up,  that when I click on 'show unread topics since last visit' I only get half a page. I haven't read through all the ones on the previous lists, the list appears to have been refreshed for me  :-\

In this case, I go to the Boards that have particular interest for me and go through the recent posting on there.

It doesn't really take all that long to go through a 4-5 page list of unread topics even. Speed reading. Ones that interest me or have none or few replies, I have a look at. Others I leave.

I'm just not sure what the fuss is about  :-\

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Nell

I don't want to read all the zillions of unread posts,  I just want:

(a) a chance to see back a few days - especially if I've paid a flying visit and not looked at my unread posts since last visit.  Because, by visiting, I've set the counter back to zero, so to speak

(b) Rootschat to work as smoothly as possible  :)

I'm just not sure what the fuss is about :-\

It's not criticism on my part, just a desire to see things work smoothly

Right, off to find something else to bang on about  :P

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 12:30 GMT (UK) »
I also agree with Nell here.

Quote from: julianb
[...] but I just clicked "Show all unread topics" and got a window which showed I had 2293 pages to work through.  I only wanted to go back a few days!

I always log-off when I leave RootsChat, and I when I log-on again, I only get those topics that are new since my log-off.
i.e. like Nell
Quote from: Little Nell
which may be between 3 and 10 pages for me depending on the frequency of visits and how busy you lot have been

If you are always getting 2000 pages or more, then either you are not logging off, or there is a bug in the system.

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 12:38 GMT (UK) »
I always log-off when I leave RootsChat, and I when I log-on again, I only get those topics that are new since my log-off.

If you are always getting 2000 pages or more, then either you are not logging off, or there is a bug in the system.

Bob

Hi Bob

I think like me you use "show unread posts since last visit" It works for me whether I log off or no - I guess I get auto logged off  :)  :)

The other option is "show all unread posts" which gives the 1000s - I've never been game to use it  :D   :D

Hi Mike and Welcome to RootsChat

I gave up on emails yonks ago - just clutters up the inbox. Like others, after the unread posts option - I browse the forums of interest - and sometimes use the Search option if looking for an area of particular interest

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear I'd better explain myself step by step:

When I open up Rootschat, I usually check show "new replies to your posts", then when I've worked through them I go on to "show unread post since last visit".  

At the bottom of the table of "unread posts since last visit" there's a hyperlink which says "All unread posts".  If I click that then I get my 2293 pages (as quoted below).

As Gadget has confirmed below, every time you return to rootschat, you have available to you the unread posts since you last left Rootschat through "show unread posts since last visit".  This might only be half a dozen if you have only just left.

So I don't think there is a bug in my system, and as I said, if it's not feasible to have a "clear all unread posts" function , then so be it.

Toodlepip  :)

JULIAN

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 12:42 GMT (UK) »
I use the Unread Posts facility, but sometimes it seems to reset without my permission!  :P

It might be nice to be able to select, say, the last 3 days worth of unread posts.  In much the same way as we can Search on the last XXX days.

I am conscious though that this is a minor inconvenience and I know how many "odd jobs" are waiting for Trystan "odd job"'s attention in his free time...

A  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 12:46 GMT (UK) »
I am conscious though that this is a minor inconvenience and I know how many "odd jobs" are waiting for Trystan "odd job"'s attention in his free time...

Just to keep all this in perspective, I wholeheartedly agree with what you've said here, Arranroots

JULIAN