Author Topic: Newcastle Evening Chronicle death notices  (Read 22540 times)

Offline cherryberry

• RootsChat Member
  • Where's that mouse???
    • View Profile
Re: Newcastle Evening Chronicle death notices
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 13 February 07 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello Cherryberry
       There is no booking for film readers at the Family and Local History Centre it is just first come first served if you have a look at the Newcastle City Council website under libraries there is a link to the family history section which lists the newspapers they have on film and as bound volumes. South Shields Library and Gateshead Library would I think also have copies of papers which would contain the kind of information you would find useful
                                             Regards
                                                 Grant

Thank you Grant  I will look into that  ;D
Regards Cherryberry

Northumberland  Rutherford, Irwin
Jarrow co Durham. Rutherford, Douglass, Kilgour. Fairweather. Gallagher,Rogers.Hymers
South Sheilds Co Durham Elsy Rames.
Norfolk Elsy. Feathstone Amis
Leeds Yorkshire Rigby Gaunt Gillett
South Petherton Somerset Marks,Sweet Gayleard Lawrance,Marsh

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jacqui123

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 19 February 07 20:48 GMT (UK) »
hello,
 i was wondering if a death notice for my great grandad may be in the paper. ernest steel fairlamb he was born 16th october 1897, and was killed down allerdene colleiry on 9th dec 1940. apart from that i know nothing about him and just thought his death notice may of been published, or if anyone knows how or if you can get coroners reports that would be great.

thanks

Offline Grant45

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 21 February 07 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello
     I found the entry for Ernest Steel Fairlamb and also checked to see if there was any other mention in the copies back to the 8th December but found nothing else

Evening Chronicle Friday 13th December 1940
Fairlamb_ Low Fell, 2 Chowdean Cottages, suddenly December 9th, aged 43 years, Ernest Steel, dearly beloved husband of Jane Fairlamb(nee Johnson) and beloved son of the late Thomas and Mary Eleanor Fairlamb. Interment St Johns Sherriff Hill Saturday; leaving residence 2.45p.m. Friends , neighbours and fellow workmen meet at Church 3.10pm

Grant
GRANT, Markinch Fife & St Thomas Ontario
GILMOUR, Broughty Ferry, Angus & Anstruther Fife
LATTO St Monance Fife
STEWART, Bathgate West Lothian
STEWART,St Monance & Kilrenny
FLEMING, FORREST, Bathgate West Lothian
BATHGATE ,HAIG -East Lothian
STAINES Henham Essex-Edinburgh
ARMSTRONG,Northumberland
FEENEY,Lanarkshire Northumberland Co Durham
DONNISON Northumberland, Co Durham
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Irene B

• RootsChat Senior
  • My family tree is full of nuts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 21 February 07 19:07 GMT (UK) »
On Durham Mining Museum www.dmm.org.uk/names  I saw the following Fairlamb - not sure if he is connected to you

Fairlamb, John 33 06 Mar 1890 Blenkinsop NBL

If you look under mines you will see there are two Allerdean Collieries, one in Durham the other in Northumberland - it might be worth a look.

Irene B
Main, Rossiter, - Northumberland<br />Wibberley, Walwyn, Cadman, - Staffordshire<br />Saiger, Blackburn  - County Durham<br />

Offline JFarrell36

• RootsChat Extra
  • I sometimes wonder why I started this!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 22 February 07 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
New to the boards and I've spent the last few days trying to read the many fabulous posts.
I'm hoping for some help. One of my ancestors was a GEORGE BURN. We believe he died around March 1883. He was a Monumental Sculptor and he has some public statues in the Newcastle area. Having found some information in various books, there was apparently an obituary. Can anyone help me to find either the obituary or a death notice please? I can't access the Records Office easily due to work commitments. I've tried at Woodhorn but they didn't seem to have the main Newcastle papers.
Farrell; Burn; Winship; Calvert; Stevenson; Moon; Rowe

Offline Irene B

• RootsChat Senior
  • My family tree is full of nuts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 23 February 07 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Newspapers are at Newcastle Central Library, but as it is being rebuilt and is in temporary accommodation I am not sure if everything is available.

There is a link to obituaries in www,genuki.org.uk under Northumberland but the index doesnt start until 1885, but you might find something on it.

Irene B
Main, Rossiter, - Northumberland<br />Wibberley, Walwyn, Cadman, - Staffordshire<br />Saiger, Blackburn  - County Durham<br />

Offline pompeyboy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 23 February 07 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Grant..would you be able to do a obit look up for me if possible please,the person is a George Hansler who died in December 1911 age 16 in Newcastle as far as i'm aware,sorry i haven't got an exact date of death :-\...if it's too much hassle not to worry..many thanks

Steve
massey
clutterbuck
foster
searley
Hansler
Belcher

Census Information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Grant45

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 02 March 07 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello Steve
        No luck with George Hansler the December 1911 editions of the Evening Chronicle do not seem to have been filmed as did the rest of 1911. You may get lucky and someone who is searching the bound hard copies may be able to find it for you.
        If you know where in Newcastle he lived or which church he might have attended it might be possible to find him through the cemetery burial registers
                                       Regards
                                          Grant
GRANT, Markinch Fife & St Thomas Ontario
GILMOUR, Broughty Ferry, Angus & Anstruther Fife
LATTO St Monance Fife
STEWART, Bathgate West Lothian
STEWART,St Monance & Kilrenny
FLEMING, FORREST, Bathgate West Lothian
BATHGATE ,HAIG -East Lothian
STAINES Henham Essex-Edinburgh
ARMSTRONG,Northumberland
FEENEY,Lanarkshire Northumberland Co Durham
DONNISON Northumberland, Co Durham
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cherryberry

• RootsChat Member
  • Where's that mouse???
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 03 March 07 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello Cherryberry
       There is no booking for film readers at the Family and Local History Centre it is just first come first served if you have a look at the Newcastle City Council website under libraries there is a link to the family history section which lists the newspapers they have on film and as bound volumes. South Shields Library and Gateshead Library would I think also have copies of papers which would contain the kind of information you would find useful
                                             Regards
                                                 Grant

I would just like to thank you again for your advise I have been down to the  centre but unfortunately they didn't have the papers I was looking for, but I still had a very happy few hours looking though the hard backs of the papers.

I did find out there had been an out break of small pox at the time two of my ancestors died  two in one family only a few months between them,   this could have been the reason but will have to get the death certs to be sure.

I found it all very interesting.  The way newspapers where written back then so  different from to days. more factual less off the hype I thought . I  then was advised to  go to south shields library  where I did find the Jarrow Guardian and Jarrow Express which were the local papers for Jarrow and I found lots  of interesting information on John Rutherford, I knew he was a councillor  I found the facts that he was mayor. So will be going back again as  I only managed to get though half the year as I got carried away  reading to many different bit of news  lol
Regards Cherryberry

Northumberland  Rutherford, Irwin
Jarrow co Durham. Rutherford, Douglass, Kilgour. Fairweather. Gallagher,Rogers.Hymers
South Sheilds Co Durham Elsy Rames.
Norfolk Elsy. Feathstone Amis
Leeds Yorkshire Rigby Gaunt Gillett
South Petherton Somerset Marks,Sweet Gayleard Lawrance,Marsh

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk