Author Topic: Humphreys family- Lusmagh, Athlone and Newbridge  (Read 6325 times)

Offline karlowe1959

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Humphreys family- Lusmagh, Athlone and Newbridge
« on: Tuesday 02 January 07 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Can anyone help please.......Looking for birth of Robert John Humphreys, various spellings over the years, 1857 Lusmagh.  Father possibly Samuel Humphrys.
 Also help wanted with Robert John Humphreys marriage to Esther Ann Finnerly b. Belfast...  On 1881 cencus they were at Horfield Barracks England he was a bombardier aged 24y whilst Esther was aged 18 years.
He continued to serve in the Royal Artillery and between 1881 and 1891 he must have returned back to Ireland because John A. J. Humphreys b. abt 1883
Athlone, Florence A.A. Humphreys b. abt 1884, Athlone , Lillian Gertrude Humphreys b. abt 1884 Athlone, Ireland and son Thomas George Oliver Humphreys b. abt 1888 at Newbridge, Kildare were all born.  Presumably he was in barracks when children were born can anybody help as to which ones?
I have Robert and Esther on all cencuses and their death certs in England but I have nothing for them before 1881
I know that Samuel Humphreys, who I think is Roberts dad also served in the Royal Artillery as I have his Crimean war medal, but nothing else is known of him.  I am really struggling and would appreciate any help whatsoever even if it is just pointing me in the right direction.   
Many thanks  ::) karlowe1959

Offline Billiejo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Humphreys family- Lusmagh, Athlone and Newbridge
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Re- the Army connection / Barracks:

Sarsfield Barracks is in Athlone Co Westmeath.

Many soldiers stationed at the Curragh Camp Co Kildare usually reside in Newbridge (town about 3 miles away).
A smaller site EG Devoy Barracks in Naas (town 9 miles away) was closed a few years ago.
The Irish Defence Forces took over from the British in 1922, Perhaps try the 'Eircom' phone book or HQ for further information -  Dublin 018042750.

Offline karlowe1959

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Humphreys family- Lusmagh, Athlone and Newbridge
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 February 07 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Thank you very much for the information you posted, sorry for the delay but I have only just returned to pick it up......Thanks again karlowe  :)