Author Topic: Somerset Online Parish Clerk Project  (Read 80844 times)

Offline sheppardj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Somerset Online Parish Clerk Project
« on: Friday 05 January 07 01:20 GMT (UK) »
Seven years ago the Online Parish Clerk program began in Cornwall.  Since then similar projects have been established in Devon, Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex, Kent, Wiltshire, Warwickshire, and Lancashire  In Dec 2006 a project was undertaken for Somerset. The aim of the scheme is to further research in family, local, social and economic history by making freely available records relating to a parish.

The Somerset OPC project is currently focused on, but not restricted to the parishes within the Archdeaconry of Taunton.  We are still very much in an evolutionary phase and our website and database at wsom-opc.org.uk is growing steadily as new data is donated and volunteers come forward to adopt a parish as an Online Parish Clerk or OPC. Transciption of parish records is encourages but this is not essential to becoming an OPC. 

A volunteer will find the work rewarding, it may help identify further sources for research and will generally add to your knowledge of parish life through the centuries. If you work on a parish where you have ancestors, you may well add to your knowledge of your own family links as a result of your efforts.

Are you interested in joining the team? If so, please contact me and I can give you further details. If you have transcriptions you would like to donate to the site, but feel unable/unwilling to be an OPC,  please let us know. All donations of transcripts, photographs, articles and general historical information are very welcome.
Cornwall (Antony/Torpoint): SHEPPARD, VIGUS, HORDEN, WILLIAMS, VINCENT, SAMMELS, BASTARD
Somerset, (Bridgwater/Stogursey): SHEPHERD
Norfolk (Cranworth):CORY
Middlesex (London): CORY, FARMER
Kent (Erith/Gravesend/Staplehurst): FARMER, MACKEY

Offline las camelias

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Deceased † Rest In Peace
    • View Profile
Re: Somerset Online Parish Clerk Project
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 April 07 10:53 BST (UK) »
Anthony,
I read with interest your post about the OPC project in general.  You have listed Wiltshire as being involved.  I have tried to contact the co-ordinator for Wiltshire (David Brown) without success over the past few months, as have several other interested transcribers.  He seems to have gone to ground.  Do you have a contact for the Wiltshire project?  I have time to spare and would love to transcribe for my ancestral villages in Wiltshire, but am at a loss as to who to contact.
Jan

Offline sheppardj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 April 07 12:14 BST (UK) »
Jan

As I mentioned in an email to you earlier this month the Wiltshire OPC coordinator has indeed gone to ground or at least he is not answering any emails.  Several of his fellow OPC’s have attempted to get in touch with no reply.  That said I would not let it deter you from your transcriptions.  I’m sure the OPC projects from neighbouring counties, Somerset, for one would be pleased to give them a home.

Jim
Cornwall (Antony/Torpoint): SHEPPARD, VIGUS, HORDEN, WILLIAMS, VINCENT, SAMMELS, BASTARD
Somerset, (Bridgwater/Stogursey): SHEPHERD
Norfolk (Cranworth):CORY
Middlesex (London): CORY, FARMER
Kent (Erith/Gravesend/Staplehurst): FARMER, MACKEY

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 April 07 14:25 BST (UK) »
Just a thought - FreeReg (http://www.freereg.org.uk/) are also looking for transcribers. I've been doing some of my ancestors' villages for Somerset and am about to start on my Wiltshire people.

Although there isn't a county co-ordinator for Wiltshire at the moment, Dave Newbury, the co-ordinator for England, is very helpful if you contact him.

Another avenue for donating transcriptions is the county Family History Society - they are usually very pleased to get transcriptions!

Best wishes

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 November 07 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Could you please explain what it would entail to be a OPC. I have been unable to obtain any info. of Parish Records (apart from visiting Taunton Record Office which is now hard for me) of the Village of Stawell where my Ancestors came from and would be glad to help if possible to bring Parish Records on line. Regards Syljun

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 November 07 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Syljun
I've just taken on Chewton Mendip, Somerset as an OPC. The idea really is to act as a conduit for research for that parish if requested. It obviously makes sense to have some interest and access to the records. I've obtained the PRs on fiche to be able to look up for others & at the same time I intend to start transcribing them for FreeReg. I'm also involved in transribing the Census for FreeCen, although these tasks are not prerequisites as I understand it.
I'm just hoping that by widening my research from just my ancestors to the whole parish, I should be able to get a clearer history of the area to put my family in context, & help others who cannot easily access the records

Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 November 07 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve,
Sounds very worthwhile.  How do I go about obtaining Michrofiche records and do you have to have your own reader or do you use the Library. Be grateful for any advice as how to start. Regards Syljun

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 November 07 08:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Syljun

Steve may already have replied to you privately, but I am just sending you the contact details of the (very nice) coordinator for Freereg for Somerset, in case you fancy transcribing parish records for display there.

I've certainly found transcribing a whole parish worth of records really helpful to my own research as you get a feel for the families there and how they interrelated  ;D Originally, I got my copies of the microfiche by ordering directly from the Record Office at Taunton, but if you order them via Freereg, you will avoid the 9 pound admin charge. Fiche are 2 pounds each at the present time.

I got a really cheap reader from a local business, but there are loads of them on ebay, or you could use the local library to start with.

Good luck and have fun!

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 November 07 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Syljun

I see AngelaR has answered your enquiries re starting as an OPC. I purchased a fiche reader via Ebay, although I do have access to others via businesses I know, but,  as I work, I have to do most of my researches in the evenings/weekends.
If you start transcribing for FreeCen by the way, they provide the records foc on a CD.
It really is very satisfying work, if you have the time, so take the plunge!

Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire