Author Topic: Aldernay late 1700 early 1800 BMD help needed.  (Read 4002 times)

Offline rosella

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Aldernay late 1700 early 1800 BMD help needed.
« on: Saturday 06 January 07 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello all

Does anyone have access to the parish records on Alderney in the late 1700's and early 1800's. I have been told there is a Christening record of a Sarah Osey in 1802/3 in St Anne's and that her father is recorded as James B OSEY.

I believe this James Osey to be James Bott/s Osey but would like to prove it.

Can anyone find a marriage for James pre 1802,the actual Christening details for Sarah c 1802/3 at St Anne's or further Osey Children in the register.

I have spent two hours looking around the channel Island website without any luck.

Any help would be greatfully received.

Best wishes

Maria
Hampshire : Coles, Hosey, Pearce, Kittier, Plumley, Webb, Tugby, Tudgey, Powell, Payne, Nichols, Garrett.
Dorset : Sheppard.
Cornwall : Pearce

Offline kismet

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Aldernay late 1700 early 1800 BMD help needed.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 February 07 20:55 GMT (UK) »
I have a feeling that you won't find records on line. Alderney, though beautiful, is about 20 years behind the rest of the British Isles!   

According to the book I have in front of me right now -

......   "Registers of births and deaths in Alderney from 1850 and of marriages since 1886 are preserved in the Registry for Births, Deaths, Companies, Land and Marriages in St Anne (the capital), whilst the registrations on Alderney since 1925 are housed in the Royal Court House, in St Peter Port in Guernsey.   There is a gap in the registrations between 1940 and 1945 (the German Occupation), and some other records no longer survive before 1945 because they were left behind at the time of the evacuation of the islanders before the Occupation and were probably burnt.  Mrs E. Mignot of St. Martins has transcribed all the island's entries and you are advised to write directly to her for any searches.  The Priaulx Library holds microfilm copies of birth registrations up to August 1885, and of death registrations between 1850 and 1855 and from 1907 to 1925....."

The address for Mrs Mignot is 8 St Martins, Alderney GY9 3UB.
The address for the Priaulx Library is Candie Road, St. Peter Port, Guernsey  GY1 1UG.  Tel:  01481.724512.  website:  www.priaulx.gov.gg
The address for The Registry for Births, Deaths, Companies, Land and Marriages is St. Anne, Alderney  GY9 3AA.

I can tell you that the name Bott is well known on the island, with at least one road (Rue Colin Bott) named after the family.

Good luck with your search.

Kismet

Parker:  Bath, Birmingham, Reading & London
Packer: Bitton, Glos & Birmingham
Webb:  Towcester & London 
King/Collett:  London
Young:  Goxhill, Lincs
Olds/Hopes:  Bitton, Glos
Blumenthal/Dale:  Germany, Liverpool, Bournemouth & Southampton 
Klein/Keene:  Liverpool, Swindon & Reading
Fasser/Fiszer & Berliner:  Poland & Liverpool
Suffolk:  Lutterworth

Offline rosella

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 February 07 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kismit

Thank you ever so much with all that information. I will follow all the leads you have given me.

Many thanks

Rosella.
Hampshire : Coles, Hosey, Pearce, Kittier, Plumley, Webb, Tugby, Tudgey, Powell, Payne, Nichols, Garrett.
Dorset : Sheppard.
Cornwall : Pearce

Offline kismet

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 February 07 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello Rosella,

You are more than welcome.  I hope you find what you are looking for.

I don't know an awful lot about the records of Alderney but, as I think I said, I lived there for 10 years and my husband is Alderney born so if I can help with anything else please let me know.

Kismet
Parker:  Bath, Birmingham, Reading & London
Packer: Bitton, Glos & Birmingham
Webb:  Towcester & London 
King/Collett:  London
Young:  Goxhill, Lincs
Olds/Hopes:  Bitton, Glos
Blumenthal/Dale:  Germany, Liverpool, Bournemouth & Southampton 
Klein/Keene:  Liverpool, Swindon & Reading
Fasser/Fiszer & Berliner:  Poland & Liverpool
Suffolk:  Lutterworth