Author Topic: Tailors - How did they live and work?  (Read 39325 times)

Offline Bev Duckworth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Tailors - How did they live and work?
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 20 January 07 00:30 GMT (UK) »
Beth,

It's a long time since I read Beatrix Potter so I can't remember the story.
But I don't think tailoring was that lucrative - if the sweat shops were anything to go by.

Bev
Sharman - Derbyshire & Lancashire
Levitt - Lancashire, Middlesex, London, Yorkshire
Butler - Shorpshire/Flintshire
Wilkinson - Yorkshire
Benson - Lancashire
Cartmell - Lancashire
Gillett - Lancashire

Offline Bev Duckworth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 20 January 07 00:55 GMT (UK) »
Beth,

What a coincidence  :o

I've just read the Report on the Sweating System in Leeds from the link I posted on 12/1 on this thread.

And there is mention of a Beatrice Potter giving evidence to the Select Committee of the House of Lords on the Sweating System.

But, she's not the same person as Beatrix Potter !

Here's a couple of links to explain ...
http://www.heliograph.com/trmgs/trmgs4/bea1.shtml
http://www.heliograph.com/trmgs/trmgs4/bea2.shtml

Bev
Sharman - Derbyshire & Lancashire
Levitt - Lancashire, Middlesex, London, Yorkshire
Butler - Shorpshire/Flintshire
Wilkinson - Yorkshire
Benson - Lancashire
Cartmell - Lancashire
Gillett - Lancashire

Offline griz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 20 January 07 05:00 GMT (UK) »
This a most interesting thread. I also have a tailor in one of my branches living in London. He did not seem to travel though. One person mentioned  a tailor who went to Berkshire. I wonder it was to go to Windsor? Perhaps  military uniforms and household liveries? I wonder if they went on spec?  a risky venture I would think, or perhaps  they knew work was going to be available.   

One of the most detailed records of life in the 1800's in London was written by Henry Mayhew who lived 1812 - 1887. He wrote a fascinating sociological study of the lives of the poor.  'London labour and the London Poor"  It is quite a lot of material to read, and comes in 4 volumes. I have two of them (one and two) I hope to get three and four one day. It is illustrated with engravings said to be from Deguerrotypes  by Beard.

Darn! the 'tailor' section must be in one of the others.  (Athough perhaps a tailor is not considered poor.) Perhaps if you have access to this work in your library you could check the index for tailors.

This book deals with people struggling to survive day by day. It is an amazing work and it is heartbreaking too. It is full of  incredible detail.   There is a section on the Jewish inhabitants of London. It was written in the 19th C so the way the words are used is rather grating to say the least but I think Mayhew was also trying to be fair and matter-of-fact for a man of his time.   Also there is a section of the Irish immigrants who came to London. 
 It is said that Charles Dickens  may have got some ideas for  his characters, and/or ideas for stories from this book. ie pickpockets, matchgirls. etc  :)

The work is probably available in libraries. I have the the Dover Edition  N.Y. Complete and unabridged.
Boyle, Co. Leitrim  Boyle, Co. Tyrone, Shaughnessy, Co. Limerick, and  Manchester, UK.  Pope, Cheshire. Chadwick, Speke, Lancs.  Frankish, Hunmanby, Yorks.  Brindley, Audley, Staffs and  Middlesex.

Offline Pegasuss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 20 January 07 05:40 GMT (UK) »
I have a Few Tailors In My Tree!

One came over from Prussea @1849, and settled (for a time) in Manchester were He worked as a Patern-Cutter for a 'Diving-Dress Maker'!

He cut out the pieces that when sewed together made up the Suit worn by Divers!

The Cloth was (usually) made from Canvas that had been treated (with Gutta Percha) to make it Waterproof!

My Ancestor later moved to Liverpool, where He carried on working for the same Firm (Followed by at least one of His Sons)!

The Firm was 'Hellewells', remembered in an Old Liverpool Saying: "Go To Hellewells" (said to someone who was Looking to Buy something, But Did'nt Know Where to Look!).

They Also (Famously) made Makintosh Raincoats!
Hertzberger, Highton, Walker, Eaton, Webster, Brown, Wright, Speed, Dodd, Holland, Melling, Murphy, Edwards, Bennett, Collins, Critchley, Duffy, Owens, Morgan & Humphreys

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 20 January 07 06:00 GMT (UK) »
Beth,

But I don't think tailoring was that lucrative - if the sweat shops were anything to go by.

Bev

Agree with you that tailoring was not that lucrative back then and probably remains so today.

yn9man
Scotland - Adam, Galt/Gault, Mellis, Jardine, Turnbull, Robertson, Auchincloss, Murray, Allison/Allason, Mitchell, Cross, Rae, Brown, McHutcheon, Montgomerie, McKenzie, Mackay, McPherson, McInish

England - Saunders/Sanders, Jory/Jorie/Jura, McKey, Williams/ Wyllams,  Lance, Ellis, Trounson, Dingle, Charlton, Hambridge, Sweetman/Sweatman, Ricks/Rix/Reeks, Cole, Shearwood/Sherwood, Toy, Brooks, Moore, Donn, Nicolas, Habberfield,

Denmark - Alling/Aalling, Lastein, Lund, Rasmussen

Offline Pegasuss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 20 January 07 06:19 GMT (UK) »
Beth,

Bev

Agree with you that tailoring was not that lucrative back then and probably remains so today.

yn9man

The Ancestor I mentioned was Widowed in 1865 (being left to care for 4 Children on His own), He worked almost till He Died in 1889 (aged 72Yrs)!

The Son that worked with Him Owned/Rented a number of  Newsagents & Tobaconists & Hairdressers (1 or 2 at a time)by the time He was in his 20's (His Eldest son [My Grandfather] used to make 'Pocket Money' from the age of @8Yrs old, sitting in the doorway of one of the shops repairing Umbrellas, 1p a Spoke).
Hertzberger, Highton, Walker, Eaton, Webster, Brown, Wright, Speed, Dodd, Holland, Melling, Murphy, Edwards, Bennett, Collins, Critchley, Duffy, Owens, Morgan & Humphreys

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chrissy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 20 January 07 06:52 GMT (UK) »
hello everyone ;D
  Over the course of the last week,Ive found out that I too,have a Tailor" in my tree.His name was James Davidson,and he was in Dunoon in Argyll,circa 1861-81.I wonder would anyone have ideas on Tailoring?,in that part of scotland.I have been unable to find a workplace or such.
        have a great day......cheers from chrissy.
Davidson,Payne/Paine-Dunoon/Glasgow/scotland,Sherlock-cheshire,king -female convict-7 years nsw,french-tasmania,sewell-hubbys side,O brien- Cochrane-guernsey-india .Morehouse-Kirkburton-yorkshire. Gippsland-davidson,flood,baker,rose.Chambers..Bungaree.Chambers ..county clare,Kane county clare.

Offline Pels.

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 20 January 07 08:03 GMT (UK) »

My maternal grandfather was a Master Tailor, owning his own business during the years following the 1914 - 1918 war.

Post war Europe was in chaos and a return to the Empire days of before simply did
not happen. The industries of ship building, coal and textiles never recovered from
the slump they were in at the end of the 1920's.

His well heeled clients could no longer afford to buy the tailored suits they had once taken for granted.

Unable to face the shame of bankruptcy and as a consequence he committed suicide in 1928 ..  ..  my mother was only two years old.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline XPhile2868

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 20 January 07 22:14 GMT (UK) »
My 4x great grandfather was a Banister from Leyland who was part of a long line of tailors. My great aunt attributes her sewing skills to him and his predecessors.

Stephen :)
Smith (Lancashire), McKenna (Ireland/Liverpool/Leyland), Maynard (Hertfordshire/London/Preston), Ricketts (Gloucestershire/Wigan/Preston), Scowcroft (Preston), Harling (N. Yorkshire/Lancashire), Willis (Preston), Clegg (Manchester/Preston), Dodd (Wigan/Cheshire), Alston (Lancashire), Hulks (Hertfordshire), Nicholson (Lancashire/Cumbria), Russell (Lancashire), Wilson (Cumbria), Bracewell (Lancashire), Moxham (Lancashire0

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk