Author Topic: Tailors - How did they live and work?  (Read 39481 times)

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Tailors - How did they live and work?
« Reply #72 on: Friday 26 January 07 06:58 GMT (UK) »
You're right, these are not distinctively Jewish forenames.  That means that either they were assimilated, or trying to assimilate, OR that they were not Jewish at all.  Big help!  I have the same problem with some of mine!  I hope you find some more clues in your travels...
ARMSTRONG - Castleton Scot; NB; Westminstr Twp
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
DURE(E) - France, Devon, Canada
HALLS - Chigwell
KREIN, Peter/Adam - Germany
LEOPOLD - Hanover, London
LATTIMER, MAXWELL - Ldn lightermen
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
SWANICK - Mayo & Roscommon; Ontario
WEST - Rochester & Maidstone
WILLIS - Wilts, Berks, Hants, London
WOODHOUSE - Bristol tobacconist, London
WW1 internees

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Saturday 27 January 07 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Eilleen - thanks for the extract - very interesting.

yn9man - Guess you've found this out already but just in case, I've had a look for the article. The archive on the Lincolnshire Life web site only goes back a couple of years. I have emailed them to ask if it's possible to buy a copy of the article. Will let you know if they get back to me.

Bev

Thanks for your response re the web site. I only took a quick look through the Lincolnshire Life web site and planned on getting back in later tonight.

Will wait to hear from you. Thanks again for starting this thread.

yn9man
Scotland - Adam, Galt/Gault, Mellis, Jardine, Turnbull, Robertson, Auchincloss, Murray, Allison/Allason, Mitchell, Cross, Rae, Brown, McHutcheon, Montgomerie, McKenzie, Mackay, McPherson, McInish

England - Saunders/Sanders, Jory/Jorie/Jura, McKey, Williams/ Wyllams,  Lance, Ellis, Trounson, Dingle, Charlton, Hambridge, Sweetman/Sweatman, Ricks/Rix/Reeks, Cole, Shearwood/Sherwood, Toy, Brooks, Moore, Donn, Nicolas, Habberfield,

Denmark - Alling/Aalling, Lastein, Lund, Rasmussen

Offline Eilleen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • relax
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Sunday 04 February 07 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Program on telly Tues 6th Feb , " you don't know your born " about tailors.   Eilleen.
EXTON, from Rutland, Stamford, Boston, Lincoln. LANES, from Coleby,to Bracebridge Lincoln.WAKEFIELD,PROUDMAN Cheshire and  Stafford.<br />PINDAR, MOORE, ,CHAMBERS mostly from Lincolnshire.
LAING from Elgin ,Scotland.
 HADDELSEY from Caistor,and Grimsby Lincolnshire.                   
 Parfitt, Le Gros ,Le Sueur, from Jersey.
Martin, from Doncaster  to whelyn garden city, London.
BINT, Worchester, in Australian mint.

Offline Bev Duckworth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Sunday 04 February 07 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Eilleen.
I missed the first of the 3 programmes in this series and have the 2nd recorded. Will watch with interest on Tues.

No news yet from Lincolnshire Life.

Cheers
Bev

Sharman - Derbyshire & Lancashire
Levitt - Lancashire, Middlesex, London, Yorkshire
Butler - Shorpshire/Flintshire
Wilkinson - Yorkshire
Benson - Lancashire
Cartmell - Lancashire
Gillett - Lancashire

Offline Jonosue

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Sunday 28 March 21 16:11 BST (UK) »
I have just found this fascinating thread while looking for information about my Hicks grandfathers, of whom at least three generations were tailors in Bicester, Oxfordshire. They seem to have been rather wealthier than some, and to have had some standing within the local community. I have found papers for apprentices which describe one as a Master Tailor. I imagine he still had to sit on the table - or did he just supervise his apprentices, and concentrate on patterns and cutting? I was very interested to gain a bit of insight into their lives in the 19th century.
 The first tailor from this family to move away from Bicester, was my 2nd grt grandfather, and he became a military tailor. He and his family moved around; Gravesend, Deptford, Leeds...where he describes himself in the 1871 census as 'tailor, master, 5th Drg guards. I think he was independent of the army, not a part of it. My great grandfather was also a military tailor, and he moved around even more, with an ever-growing family. In 1871, he employed 9 men; since reading this, I have a differnt picture of them all at work!Eventually, he became a Gentleman's Outfitter in Leadenhall St, London. He gave up the military side of his work because he made uniforms for officers, who notoriously never paid their tailors!
It is years since the last person contributed to this. I hope it's not too late to say thank you to all of you.
Sue
Hicks, Thorburn, Bennett, Millar, Parsons

Offline PaulaToo

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me 'n Gerry
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Sunday 28 March 21 23:19 BST (UK) »
I'm still here, and still making discoveries.
Before, I was wondering why Grandfather William made the trip from Pembroke Dock to Reading. Since seeing one of the census returns, I find he didn't go straight to Reading, but ended up in Basingstoke with Grandmother Harriet and a couple of their kids ... shush, don't tell anyone they lied when they said they were married.
So why did he go from Pembroke Dock to Basingstoke? I know he worked for Burberrys, he did, mother did, I did, and anyone who stitches those khaki trench coats has my sympathy. That problem is now solved. Burberrys first opened in Basingstoke, a magnet for tailors.
But if that is so, I now have a new problem, what the what was Gran Harriet doing in Basingstoke?

One thing about Family History, you never finish finding out things and being surprised.
Hope you have as much fun and learn as much on here as I have Jonosue
Bartlett/Henley on Thames
Caponhurst/Buckinghamshire and?
Denchfield/North Marston/Bucks
Webb/Winchester
Mathias/Pembroke/Pembroke Dock
John/Pembroke/Pembroke Dock
Smith/Portsmouth/Portsea
Purchas/Bucks and?
Olliffe/Bucks

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Monday 29 March 21 00:35 BST (UK) »
My grandmother was taken in as a baby in 1900 by a 60 year old tailor and his family
He'd learnt his trade in a Liverpool workhouse

His daughter was a shirt maker but his sons became engineers .

Grandma's birth father was Jewish he was a travelling seaman connected to his father's drapers shop

My mother and I have done DNA tests
We can see the Jewish matches even in distant relatives our branch had  anglicised their first names by 1901
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson