Author Topic: Tailors - How did they live and work?  (Read 39136 times)

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tailors - How did they live and work?
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Indeed. I had no idea. My ancestor worked, I suspect, for the Army. I wonder if he helped himself to the odd batch of material....? Surely not?

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jeanhemm

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Occupations passed from father to son - first son tailor - second son shoemaker -  third son tailor -many of them passed down the line in East Anglia - pity about my 2nd gt grandfather - his father was a tailor but he became a shoemaker as hhis father died when very young.  Although he married twice and both his eldest daughters from both relationships became slipper binders - he had four daughters from the second marriage and they all became dressmakers/thimble workers.
DERRY - Nelson, Johnston, Dobbins 
NORFOLK, STAFFORDSHIRE, BIRMINGHAM - Semmence, Seamons, Seaman, Semman
NORFOLK - Stark, Love
STIRLINGSHIRE - Bulloch
IRELAND, WIGTOWNSHIRE, AYRSHIRE - Findlater 
GLOUCESTERSHIRE. WORCESTERSHIRE - Hemming 
IRELAND, SHEFFIELD, BIRMINGHAM - Goulding 
BIRMINGHAM - Howe, Roberts, Adams
IRELAND, GLASSFORD - Richmond, Reid

Offline sallysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
  • sally and her mum!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Occupations passed from father to son - first son tailor - second son shoemaker -  third son tailor -

Where does this come from?  Reason I ask, 2xGt grandfather James was the tailor, his elder brother a shoemaker.  There are older brothers in the family (would you believe, I'm going to research them tomorrow so don't know if they survived).  James started out as a shoemaker but then swapped to be a tailor.  Just wondered where this progression of professions originated.

Gosh from a simple posting one learns alsorts!

Sallysmum
Pearson Newcastle/Allendale<br />Sparke Allendale<br />Rees, Davies Pembrokeshire<br />Spence Leyburn<br />Foster Armley to battle creek USA<br />Leeming N Yorkshire<br />Stewart or Stuart Gateshead
Scott Leyburn
Roantree Leyburn

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 21:47 GMT (UK) »
My lot:

Dad - Ag Lab (surprise, surprise!)
Son - Tailor
GSon - Tailor
GGSon - Fishmonger!

There you go!

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Offline Pels.

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 21:49 GMT (UK) »

I didn't know you sold fish meles?  :P

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 22:02 GMT (UK) »
For the sake of completion, Pels:

GGGson - clerk
GGGGson - health & safety manager (and no jokes please - I've heard them all)

meles

Offline Bev Duckworth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 22:12 GMT (UK) »
yn9man,

I totally agree about the interesting stories from other Rootschatters. All the snippets piece together to build up a mental image of how these people lived and, for me, that's what's so interesting.

As for my rellies, plenty of tailors, a couple of stuff warehouse boys  :-\ but no shoemakers - then one of them became a 'unionist registration agent'   I guess that's another thread altogether   :)

Bev
Sharman - Derbyshire & Lancashire
Levitt - Lancashire, Middlesex, London, Yorkshire
Butler - Shorpshire/Flintshire
Wilkinson - Yorkshire
Benson - Lancashire
Cartmell - Lancashire
Gillett - Lancashire

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bev and friends,Have enjoyed this thread.
Bev, I have a Levitt connection/tailoring connection to share.
My g. grandfather George James Parrett's father Robert was a tailor through many census findings until, like Loo's man [see reply 12]
he changed to installing telegraph lines in later life.  It is interesting to consider if it was a failing eye-sight thing or economic times.
One of Robert's sons entered the boot trade  which supports the above theory which I had never heard of till now.

George James entered a surgical instrument making career.
Now when George  Jas. married for the second time in 1880 it was to

EMMA LEVITT DAVIS b.1856 Chippenham Wilt.

She was the daughter of EMMA LEVITT chr.1833 Chipp, Wilt

who was the daughter of SUSANNAH LEVITT [no father mentioned]

Emma, the young new bride was the local Sunday School teacher instructing George James' daughters.

I would love to find out if their was a connetion to tailoring in the Levitt background.
Cheers
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bev Duckworth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue,

I'm not aware of any of my Levitt's being in Wiltshire - but I have only just started making some progress with them as they have been rather elusive.

I had thought Levitt might be quite unusual as a name outside of specific Jewish areas but I'm not certain of that. And then my Levitts seemed to stay in areas well known for their strong Jewish presence. But I haven't so far been able to prove whether there is any Jewish connection.
It's been on my mind to try and understand the numbers and spread of Levitts to help me identify other potential links.

Might just be coincidence of course, but my dad has Levitt as a forename, presumably because my g.grandfather had only 2 children, both girls, so noone to carry on the family name. Hence, I've always assumed, the eldest grandson got given Levitt as a name.

You've also set me off on another line of thought - my g.grandfather Charles Levitt didn't seem to join the rest of the family in tailoring - and I had wondered why not. I know that in later life he went virtually blind, so now I'm wondering whether his eyes were a problem from his younger years and that's why he didn't join the tailoring trade ??!!

I just love this message board - the links it generates and thoughts it provokes ;D
Only problem is not enough time to follow them all up. Roll on retirement -only 20 years to go  :'(

Bev
Sharman - Derbyshire & Lancashire
Levitt - Lancashire, Middlesex, London, Yorkshire
Butler - Shorpshire/Flintshire
Wilkinson - Yorkshire
Benson - Lancashire
Cartmell - Lancashire
Gillett - Lancashire