Author Topic: Searching for info...  (Read 6926 times)

Offline Infobunny

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Plant more trees!
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for info...
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 01 February 07 06:59 GMT (UK) »
Dear, dear Cat,

Being creeped out isn't all that bad sometimes.  Call it something spiritual, call it intuition, call it a sense of family if you will....and then sometimes it comes calling for you!!! ;D ;D ;D

Ha ha ha ha!  Now I'm just messing with your mind  ;)

Anyway here is today's daily news.....

1.  Jack Raymond Truelove (who appeared in yesterday's episode) died at a place called Averill House in Christchurch.  This no longer exists in the telephone directory so may have been a rest home that has another name or has been closed or is part of something else.  The funeral service was held at the Canterbury Crematorium Chapel in Linwood Avenue, Christchurch, and was held on the Wednesday at 12:45pm.  This notice has been brought to you by 'The Press', Tuesday June 19, 1984.

Based on that it appears likely that his ashes were either scattered or returned to the family.  I ask you, what's wrong with being buried somewhere so we can actually find our relatives!!!!

2.  And from 'The Dominion', Wednesday April 2, 1941:
TRUELOVE - On April 1, 1941 at Wellington Hospital, Philip Patrick, beloved youngest son of Frank and Catherine Truelove of Kilbirnie, aged 16 years.  No flowers by request.

So that gets us closer to who Philip was.  It says the youngest son but not the youngest child, but yesterday in the death notice of Catherine it says Philip last in the list of kids.  He seems most likely to have been the last born.  And he would have been born in approx. 1924 or 1925.

Ah, the sweet sound of holes being plugged! :D

Cheers

Bunny 8)
Finey - Hants, Sussex, Portsmouth area
Squire - Devon
Jackson - London
Leach/Prague - India
Bourdot - N.Ireland/France
McKinley - N.Ireland
Quelch - Northamptonshire

Online Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 01 February 07 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Cat

Good to see you are getting somewhere. Some more census for you.

South Grove, Camberwell
Michael TRUELOVE, head unm 32 Gardener born Surrey Buckland

1841 - Michael's parents and brother I think
Buckland
William TRUELOVE 55 Gardener
Sarah TRUELOVE 55
William TRUELOVE 20 Gardener (Lab)
All born in county

Hindon, Wiltshire
George BRIGHT head mar 40 or 46 Ag Lab born Wilts, Chicklade
Ann BRIGHT wife mar 36 born Cardingshire, Cal????
Thomas BRIGHT son unm 11 born Wilts, Hindon
Thomas BRIGHT father wid 86?? Pauper (Ag Lab) born Wilts, Hindon
George LAURENCE visitor unm 59? Carpenter born Gloucestershire ????????

Catherine's death certificate should name her parents. From that finding her in the 1891 and 1901 census should be easy.

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline C_Bishop

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 2x Gt Grandmother, Catherine M Turner
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 02 February 07 01:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bunny and Ian

Thanks for all that!
Bunny, do you know the best way to access the military records for Francis? i have had a quick look on sites yet haven't found anything, being new to the this sort of thing and the first ancestor with a military record i have no idea what ways i can go about it! Any advice would be appreciated!

I will check with Dad to see if he has Catherines death cert, he seems to have inherited most of the family documents so he is bound to have it, have only been in contact with him for a little while so haven't really talked to him too much on the subject, just bits and pieces so far, yet he seems quite keen to share all he knows (as he remembers it!!)

Thanks
Cat  ;D
Bishop:  Sussex, New Zealand<br />Henwood:  England<br />Harris: London; Smith, Leicestershire <br />Chandler: Sussex<br />Truelove: Surrey, New Zealand<br />Blackburn: Lancashire<br />Carlton: Australia, NZ, Bristol, Ireland <br />Foster:NZ, Queensland, Yorkshire,<br />Marshall: Yorkshire, Lancashire <br />Cannon:Ireland to NZ<br />Turner:England<br />Farquharson: Scotland, Australia<br />Durward: Scotland<br <br />Johnston: Australia, Cumberland, Dumfries <br />Gearon: Ireland,NZ

Offline Infobunny

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Plant more trees!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 02 February 07 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi there Kitty Cat!

British military records specifically for WW1 are a bit hit and miss as the place where they were stored took a hammering in WW2 and lots were destroyed by bombing.  Your best bet is to go to the National Archives site at www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and read up on the Military History part of the website.  It comes with guidance and refs and addresses for asking for things.  Don't forget you can always post on the Military Board of Rootschat to see if some nice person will go and investigate the microfilm for you to see if there is any hope that his military records survived.

In any case this addy http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/ will take you to the bit where you can search for Francis in their online index.  If you use the top left box and put in Truelove and the date range of 1900-1949 it will bring up heaps but you will find him in the WW! Campaign Medals list on page 2 about halfway down the page.  If you hit the 'Details' button on the right of his record you will be able to see what ranks he held and that you can buy online an image of the service medal card which bears his name and what he received.  From this record you now know his Corps (confirms what was in the obits) and his Regiment number as well as his individual service number from the obits.  If you ask for a volunteer to go and search him out you will be able to provide good info for them to start with.  You can find him quicker if you use the advanced search and put in his first and last names.

Unfortunately the military records thing is not that easy but there is always hope of finding something.  At least you can get the copy of the medal card.

Cheers

Bunny 8)
Squire - Devon
Jackson - London
Leach/Prague - India
McKinley - N.Ireland

Online Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 02 February 07 09:54 GMT (UK) »
From IGI

Extracted entries for baptisms, all children of Thomas BRIGHT and Elizabeth, at Chicklade, Wiltshire.

Lois 15 Jan 1800
William 1 Nov 1801
Elizabeth Ann 1 Jan 1809
George 10 Feb 1811

1841 census
Chicklade, Wiltshire
Thos BRIGHT 76 Aglab
Eliz. BRIGHT 70
George BRIGHT 30 Aglab
All born in County

Hindon, Wilts
George BRIGHT head mar 60 Ag Lab born Wilts, Chicklade
Ann BRIGHT wife mar 56 born Cardigan, Cilian
George BRIGHT son unm 16 Shoemaker apprentice born Wilts, Hindon
John J BRIGHT son unm 14 Nurserymans labourer born Wilts, Hindon

George died between 1891 and 1901. In 1901 Ann was in Workhouse in Tisbury aged 87.

48 Ashford St, Shoreditch
John J BRIGHT head mar 24 Gasfitters assistant, born Wilts, Hindon (died before 1891)
Louisa BRIGHT wife mar 20 born Midx, Hackney
Anne BRIGHT dau unm 2 born Shoreditch
George BRIGHT son unm 1 born Dalston

Possible deaths
Elizabeth BRIGHT Sep qtr 1842 Tisbury, Wilts 8 279 - alive in 1841
Thomas BRIGHT Mar qtr 1853 Tisbury 5a 205 - alive in 1851
Thomas BRIGHT Dec qtr 1855 Tisbury 5a 149 - alive in 1851
George BRIGHT Dec qtr 1896 Tisbury 5a 129 age 86
George BRIGHT Jun qtr 1899 Tisbury 5a 141 age 43
Ann BRIGHT Mar qtr 1905 Tisbury 5a 145 age 88
John James BRIGHT Dec qtr 1890 London C 1c 24 age 34

Probable Marriages
George BRIGHT and Ann JONES Dec qtr 1848 Tisbury 8 795
John Jones BRIGHT and Louisa Hannah PERFECT Sep qtr 1878 Hackney 1b 766

Births
Thomas BRIGHT Mar qtr 1850 Tisbury 8 425
Elizabeth Lois Mar qtr 1852 Tisbury 5a 236
George Jun qtr 1854 Tisbury 5a 229
John Jones Sep qtr 1856 Tisbury 5a 220

Ian C

Offline C_Bishop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 02 February 07 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Bunny ;D
Thanks for those sites! I was thinking earlier and remembered about the military board here, will see what i can scope out before i post anything, am going to have a look at that site right now  ;D Thank you so much.

Ian
Thank you so much for those census's, baptisms, deaths and marriages! You were busy weren't you!  ;D I appreciate all the help, it would have taken me ages to come up with all the information i've learnt here (if i ever could have!!)

Many thanks
Dear Madam Kitty Cat (hahaha) ;)
 ;D
Bishop:  Sussex, New Zealand<br />Henwood:  England<br />Harris: London; Smith, Leicestershire <br />Chandler: Sussex<br />Truelove: Surrey, New Zealand<br />Blackburn: Lancashire<br />Carlton: Australia, NZ, Bristol, Ireland <br />Foster:NZ, Queensland, Yorkshire,<br />Marshall: Yorkshire, Lancashire <br />Cannon:Ireland to NZ<br />Turner:England<br />Farquharson: Scotland, Australia<br />Durward: Scotland<br <br />Johnston: Australia, Cumberland, Dumfries <br />Gearon: Ireland,NZ

Online Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 03 February 07 00:32 GMT (UK) »
Another source of info is wills.

The National Library in Wellington has the UK Wills and Admons index on fiche from 1857-1943. From the reference on those you can order the actual will through the NZSG.

Quite good for finding who daughters married. One I had did not have any children himself, so left everything to a nephew, but named everybody, even his father and grandfather.

Ian C

Offline C_Bishop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 03 February 07 00:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian
Thanks for that info, i'm learning quite a bit  ;D I'm having a few hassles joining NZSG, am waiting for a reply from them concerning the membership. So i am very patiently waiting on them  :) Hope they respond soon as i have a big build up of things i want to order etc! My partner is going to go bonkers when he sees how much i plan on spending hehehe.
Hmm Wellington is a fair way from me so i would have to figure something out for access to that. But very handy to know! Thank you very much, i hope one day i will be as on to it as you and Bunny!  ;D
Cat

Offline Infobunny

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Plant more trees!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 03 February 07 03:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kit Cat,

Just so lucky for you then that I'm in Wellington!  Ha!  I'm even an NZSG member but I can't get to meetings as I have something else on that night (poo).  However that means there would be more than one of us working on stuff, wouldn't it.  I tend to use the National Library and the National Archives a lot.  Had a look on the Archives probates database and they didn't have any Trueloves that I could get to but I didn't check for Fosters or for Truelove married daughters either.  Could always have a go at that at some point.

Cheers

Bunny 8)
Squire - Devon
Jackson - London
Leach/Prague - India
McKinley - N.Ireland